My surround stand - dual 8" sealed servo sub build

ebag4

Re: My surround stand - dual 8" sealed servo sub build
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2015, 12:17 am »
Turning out very nice, great job! Thanks for sharing.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2015, 01:22 am »
Turning out very nice, great job! Thanks for sharing.

Agreed !  I like them,  awsome  :thumb:

jay

rak313

« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2015, 08:09 pm »
After 3rd coat of Bush oil.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2015, 08:22 pm »
That looks fantastic.

I have no experience with Bush oil. [Noob questions forthcoming.] Must you seal the wood now? Must the oil be reapplied every couple of years? Will the wood feel oily to the touch?

Many thanks for posting all the pics.

Michael

rak313

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2015, 08:58 pm »
It has some varnish in it and will dry like any other finish.  It does not protect against UV rays, and so some people apply a light topcoat that has a UV filter agent to protect it.

I use it because it is very forgiving, and can be reworked at any time.  I have little (to no) experience in woodworking, so I want it to be easy.  This stuff is really easy, wipe it on, wait a few min, wipe it off, let it dry for 16-20 hrs, repeat.   If you let it dry too long before wiping off, it can get a little too heavy. If this happens, after it is completely dry, you just re-apply some oil, (which softens what was previously applied) wet sand very fine, wait 5 min, and wipe off excess.

I don't think it will need to be reapplied, but it can be at any time.

sunnydaze

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:17 pm »
Little to no experience in woodworking??!!     :o

Damn good outcome then!     Very impressive.  :thumb:

rak313

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:34 pm »
Little to no experience in woodworking??!!     :o

Damn good outcome then!     Very impressive.  :thumb:

Thank you.  This is the 1st speaker I've build myself.  In late 2013, I had a friend build me an LS-C.  I "supervised" (told him what I wanted).

I do have top notch tools however, which I got last year.  A Festool TS-55 tracksaw and a Festool  OF 1400  router.  They are quite impressive tools (even if they are overpriced).  If you look back to post #12 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126451.msg1420560#msg1420560, you will see the build was looking less than stellar.  Then I saw a technique on youtube that saved the day, routing a 1/4" x 1/4" square along the edges and filling it with a long strip . This corrected the poor joints that had big gaps.  I am quite happy with how it all came out. 

Of course, this is the 1st one of 2, so I'm a ways from being done yet.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:44 pm »
Very sharp!

Mike

rak313

« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:51 am »

rak313

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2015, 05:42 pm »
Finished.  And it sounds good!!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2015, 06:16 pm »
I'll bet it does. I just have one single driver 12" sealed direct servo sub in my living room backing up my N3TL's and it shakes the couch and walls (it is sitting directly behind the couch). Sounds awesome too.

Were building this as a single unit or as a pair to use as stands for surround speakers?

Mike

persisting1

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:41 pm »
Those are really nice  :o  You should be proud.

Any pictures with the amp installed?

rak313

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm »
I'll bet it does. I just have one single driver 12" sealed direct servo sub in my living room backing up my N3TL's and it shakes the couch and walls (it is sitting directly behind the couch). Sounds awesome too.

Were building this as a single unit or as a pair to use as stands for surround speakers?

Mike

It's number 1 of a pair, and the surrounds will be placed on top.  But it took me a year to get around to finish the 1st one. :oops: Of course, if I start building the second one now, I expect it will be quicker, as I learned a few things.  Like I won't try to do 45 deg miters on the sides, and I will just use a lap joint.  Then I won't have to use biscuits either. 

The hardest part was figuring out how to route the ovalish patterns.  I cut/sanded a pattern to route to, and I tried 3 times before the pattern looked acceptable.  Then my old sears router wasn't up to the job, and I nearly ruined one side.  So I bought a good router and a really good bit, and it was a piece of cake.   

So I expect it should only take a couple of weekends to cut assemble.  But for now, I'm going to enjoy it.

rak313

« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:07 pm »
Those are really nice  :o  You should be proud.

Any pictures with the amp installed?