Odd Maggie 20.1 behavior

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Odd Maggie 20.1 behavior
« on: 22 Sep 2016, 03:50 am »
Been moving amps around, inviting all kinds of trouble.   In the process found both fuses blown on one 20.1 panel. Replaced 'em and that took care of it.

The other panel has been acting up all night.  Midrange OK, tweeter is silent.  Shortly after the HF is OK but the mid panel quits. Then both quit, but I can hear faint, scratchy music coming from the Xover.  Switched speaker leads and suspect panel tweeter starts working, but not the mid, fed from the same source.

Bass panel(s), which run from a 2nd amp, are fine.  Next step is to send the bass signal through the tweeter/mids.  Fuses in McCormack amp are fine, no blue smoke.

Anyone got a clue?

UPDATE:  Now it seems no signal is getting to the mid/highs.  Jumped from the speaker jacks to a known good speaker, got nothing.  Now it seems to be upstream.  Crap.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Odd Maggie 20.1 behavior
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:07 am »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2016, 01:52 pm »
A**hole!!!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:00 pm »
Yep, came right out of there onto your amp(s).
Sure you don't want a big python shipped out?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm »
It's been how many year since the Pterodactyl moved in, and she still hasn't landed on the Maggies?   But the whole damned house looks like someone went room-to-room and shook out an old dustmop.....

I won't even get into what happens when she perches on my laptop screen.   Ewwww!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm »
Later tonight I'll make another attempt, switching amps, ICs, everything. But forgot to sop by Radio Shack to stock up on fuses.... :duh:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2016, 07:34 pm »
NOT a speaker problem after all!  After trying everything from moving amps to new ICs, I moved the "bad" speaker to the other side of the room and it works fine.  I'll bypass the wall-mounted speaker jacks and solder extension wires instead.
 :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2016, 08:01 pm »
Dodged one there!  Good stuff.