Sapphire damping material

kolledog

Sapphire damping material
« on: 25 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm »
I just bought a pair of old ACI Sapphire II ti speakers. One of the previous owners had mounted them on the wall. The port on the back was stuffed with rolls of white mineral wool. I'm assuming that he added this to prevent chuffing against the wall. Does anyone know whether this mineral wool should be in there, or should I remove it?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Sapphire damping material
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:52 am »
If the speaker was designed with a port, that port should be unobstructed for the speaker to perform to its optimum.

kolledog

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply. you've confirmed what I expected. I'm going to attemp to pull all the mineral wool out of there. Seems as though there's enough to stuff a pillow or two

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:23 pm »
Actually, that is an aperiodic vent, not a bass reflex port. If memory serves correctly, they left the factory with a foam plug. If the owner lost it, or it deteriorated, he probably substituted the wool. You DO want something somewhat restrictive in there . . .

jackthecat121

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:52 pm »
Thanks, Mike, for your reply. I took the back off the speakers and the white "wool" is really packed in there quite tighly. Are you suggesting that I leave it in there?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:55 pm »
Thanks, Mike, for your reply. I took the back off the speakers and the white "wool" is really packed in there quite tighly. Are you suggesting that I leave it in there?

We used bonded dacron in those speakers. Perhaps someone replaced it with wool? As I remember, they were pretty well packed originally. Best guess is that removing some or all will result in more apparent bass, but it may tip toward being a bit boomy. The midrange is also likely to suffer . . .