The Decimation of Smaug

JackD201

The Decimation of Smaug
« on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:12 am »
My VR-9s were sold and delivered two days ago. A full set of Lamm Electronics, Racks and Amp stands went along with it for home demo. I don't think any of it is coming back!

Now comes the long hard wait for the VR-11s. I decided not to borrow a pair of 9s from Jim. I was too chicken to deal with the risk of even putting a single scratch on somebody else's loudspeakers.

Fortunately, I won't be so lonely. I have two pairs of Annies that I need to do some pre-delivery play time on as the homes of the owners are taking forever to finish.

Ahhhh. Always a silver lining!

Holli82

Re: The Decimation of Smaug
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:17 am »
Time for a Vegas trip! :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:26 am »
Good idea!!!!!!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:27 pm »
I caved. Called the piano movers and picked up Jim's 9s. Sanity restored!

I love you Big Brother! Thanks for the loaners!!!!!!  :thumb:

Holli82

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:34 am »
Ha Ha
I'm surprised you lasted this long :scratch:

a.wayne

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:47 am »
Jack what changes are you expecting with a step up to the 11's.....

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2014, 04:40 am »
Ha Ha
I'm surprised you lasted this long :scratch:

I was expecting the wait for the 11s to be shorter Rodney. Seeing as it might get past the Holidays, I freaked!

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 04:50 am »
Jack what changes are you expecting with a step up to the 11's.....

Hi AW, I'm expecting more ease and more balanced pressurization. The additional ~3dB per side via the stacking (9s are 1/2 11s) should see to the ease part. The coils should be creating less heat for the same SPL, so lower distortion too. With two additional subs "flown" over 6ft off the ground I'm expecting more even deep bass distribution. Acoustic work was done post flood in preparation for the added low bass output. I had a tail up RT-60 of .7 at 20Hz before, it's been dropped to .4.  This is part of the problem of why 5s with twin subs weren't cutting it. The 9's plate amps post flood had to be run a bit harder as well. The room is a treated 80+ sqm with 4m slab to slab and a 3m ceiling height. It's a lot of volume to deal with. Horses for courses. You could say I set myself up for this insanity! I'd estimate that 9s would be ideal in the 50 to 60 sqm range. My former pair sound better in their new 50sqm home (room done by the same acoustician) than in mine.

Tonally, they are dead ringers for obvious reasons. I wanted more but not different in this respect. They do offer different projection characteristics because they do have different dispersion patterns, the 11s having a more even vertical aspect to its dispersion with regards to the overall stage.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:05 pm »
..and we expect a full compliment of hi-res photos old buddy  :thumb: :D  Regarding the lowly 9s..ha...like I've always said if I were to upgrade from what I've got it would be the 9s...perfect fit for my room!

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2014, 05:40 am »
Yup, seeing your room pics, the 9s would slot in perfectly. Best part is that your electronics look to be a great match. No other changes needed.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:52 pm »
Guess I best start buying lottery tickets  :scratch:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2014, 04:08 pm »
In case anyone is interested in seeing the room that Jack feels will accommodate the VR9s here it is.  Some front end changes have been made since photos were last posted...TT arm and cart...anyhow here ya go:

violetmachan

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm »
Gavin looks like good times ahead.....that looks like a very cosy room for music.

your room and your setup would be ideal for the vr 9se mark1.....there's one @ audiogon for sale!......I sure it would give you the best returns for all your home audio needs for many years

if not .....track audio footers will definitely give you the magic you are looking for from vsa speaker design......will take your vr5se to its max performance........especially if you removed the isolation platform and introduce the track audio isolation footers......the do work very well on wooden floor

noticed you have subs!!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:45 am »
I saw the VR9s on A'gon...nice.  Not sure what the mkII upgrade would cost.  Cherry not my fav finish but...  Yes I have subs...very well integrated subs that have gotten me dangerously close to the VR9 sonics..  :thumb:  no question that I lust for the 9s....

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2014, 01:09 am »
Mk2 improvement over Mk1 was a lot more than even I expected and that was with the new copper coil midrange units still not burned in. The XO parts were precooked though. I begged for this because it only takes about a hundred hours for the drivers but over 300 hours for the caps.

The impression is the same from all of us here that did the upgrade. Jim, Manny, Rodney, me and those that have worked with Mk1s and Mk2s in the same spaces, myself and Cor. They really are different speakers even if they look the same and retain some parts. Funny thing is if you actually count the parts retained, the number is tiny. When I posted the picture of the crates containing the new stuff for upgrade, the triple wall reinforcements, complete sets of crossovers, spools of internal wiring, etc. One guy on that forum said just that. That isn't an upgrade, that's a new speaker! I guess they are used to seeing a new tweeter and a few parts in a shoebox. That ain't the VSA way LOL!

JackD201

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2014, 02:49 pm »
Here's a pic Jim took of me while I was waiting for the Piano movers to take the 9s on the left.

I'm gonna get you Big Boy!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:13 pm »
Nice picture Jack,

I know you are right about the mk II upgrade.

Enjoy your system.

All the best from Holland,

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:00 pm »
I hope to get to meet you in person someday Cor. I may be in Amsterdam late next year. Maybe some Beer and Beemster might be in order :)

violetmachan

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:37 am »
hello jack

That's one stunning picture.....it's like a little boy in a candy store....brimming with happiness and that smile is priceless jack**

has the cargo landed in your sound room......enjoy!!

As for Cor......Cornelious in person is pure magic!.....it's a must do if your into speakers.....I am sure between cor and you that vr11 se mark2 will definitely take you down goosebump alley every time you listen to music

way to go jack!

happy listening
active violet

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2014, 09:05 pm »
Hello Jack,

hope to meet you in Amterdam.
Just call or mail.

Hello Active Violet,