4k blu-ray and this generation's consoles

Woodsea

4k blu-ray and this generation's consoles
« on: 14 May 2015, 02:41 pm »
 :duh:
How did both Microsoft and Sony not see that not having 4k abilities was going to put a serious black eye on their longterm consoles?  Which company will come out with a slimmed version that can output 4 times the number of pixels as well as improvements in color gamut and dynamic range at 60 frames per second than they currently are able? 
This kind of decision making on both parties is another reason I have yet to jump on either of their recent platforms. 
My 360 gets plenty of play on my 720p tele.  Plus, my old 720p projector is sweating out another year before I buy a 4k projector.  Interestingly, the projector and the 360 are about the same age.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: 4k blu-ray and this generation's consoles
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2015, 03:25 pm »
Not really a big deal for me.

When you look at the life cycle for a console and where 4k displays are now, I am not overly concerned.

By the time 4k (or beyond) displays are truly mainstream, the next generation console will be there.

I have a couple of Xbox 360's and a couple of Xbox Ones, the 360's are almost never used.  I am glad I went to Xbox One.

George

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 03:44 pm »
Both consoles can output 4K I believe. The 4K BD spec just was finalized yesterday, two years after the consoles were likely in production and finalized.  There would have been no way to include a 4K media disc playback option because there was none available when the consoles were made. 4K TVs were fringe two years ago.

As for 4K games at 60 FPS; dream it. There is no way any mass market consumer grade console could play modern games at 4K/60 even if they were made today.

I've gotten into PC gaming in the last year, and you need at least 1000 dollars in video cards alone to think about pushing 4K at playable 60 FPS frame rates.

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2015, 04:12 pm »
Both consoles can output 4K I believe. The 4K BD spec just was finalized yesterday, two years after the consoles were likely in production and finalized.  There would have been no way to include a 4K media disc playback option because there was none available when the consoles were made. 4K TVs were fringe two years ago.

As for 4K games at 60 FPS; dream it. There is no way any mass market consumer grade console could play modern games at 4K/60 even if they were made today.

I've gotten into PC gaming in the last year, and you need at least 1000 dollars in video cards alone to think about pushing 4K at playable frame rates.
Not to mention the lack of 60hz refresh on most TV and monitors. They have recently released equipment that uses HDMI 2.0 hardware capable of 50 and 60hz refresh rates. Unless you spend a ton of money on a PC, video cards and good 4K monitor you will not be enjoying any 4K gaming soon.  :nono: