Any opinions on Feikert vs. Best Tractor from MintLP?

2gumby2

Independent of price, just wondering which might be the better tool for cartridge alignments. The Feikert seems to be appropriate for most tables and arms and could be used for any future turntable/arm changes. The Best Tractor also seems good, but would be limited to one application and I would need to buy another one for a different rig in the future. Any opinions on the Pros/Cons of each? I'm not an engineer, just an enthusiast trying to get the best alignment with the least amount of hassle.

orthobiz

Re: Any opinions on Feikert vs. Best Tractor from MintLP?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:24 pm »
www.avahifi.com has one, but the site is down? today??

Paul

steveblezy

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:26 pm »
I have been using the Feikert for a few years now. It is a great tool and it will take just a few minutes to dial in your cart. Your first step with this tool is to easier measure your spindle to pivot distance with the sliding beam i the top. Once you have this, you set your effective length, hence your required overhang is set at the same time. Next, place your stylus at the inner (or outer) null point, align, and use the other null to verify that you did not move the cart for or aft in the process. 5 minutes and you are done. The latest version of the tool make working with a rega easier than the original one. I like the tool because your actually measure your spindle to pivot distance instead of assuming that the manufacturer mounts are perfect to the specs or maybe you are using an adjustable armboard. It is a great tool. Ease to read and to work with.
Steve

simoon

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm »
I've used the 2 you mention, and I've also used this one -

http://www.turntablebasics.com/

The mirrored surface makes it easier and more accurate to get the cartridge aligned.

Edit: they seem to be out of them at the moment.

bacobits1

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2011, 01:19 am »
I have been using the Feikert for a few years now. It is a great tool and it will take just a few minutes to dial in your cart. Your first step with this tool is to easier measure your spindle to pivot distance with the sliding beam i the top. Once you have this, you set your effective length, hence your required overhang is set at the same time. Next, place your stylus at the inner (or outer) null point, align, and use the other null to verify that you did not move the cart for or aft in the process. 5 minutes and you are done. The latest version of the tool make working with a rega easier than the original one. I like the tool because your actually measure your spindle to pivot distance instead of assuming that the manufacturer mounts are perfect to the specs or maybe you are using an adjustable armboard. It is a great tool. Ease to read and to work with.
Steve
I like the idea of being able to measure the spindle to pivot distance with precision. In your experience, has the published manufacturer's specs been off? If so, this would certainly make the Feikert a valuable tool.

steveblezy

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:40 am »
In my experience, most quality manufacturers have been very accurate. I have been using Townshend and VPI tables but I expect most quality tables to be drilled correctly. I have restored a few tables where I did not have the 'proper' armboard and having the ability to measure became extremely helpful. I also helped a friend do a setup where he had an adjustable armboard, SME maybe, cannot really remember to be honest, but we found the recommended specs and used the tool to help us dial in the exact distance. The Feikert is designed to accommodate a wide range of arms and is extremely easy to use. What I like is the fundamental concept of calculating your effective length first, setting the alignment then verifying with the second null point. It just make things fast and simple. If you work with the common method of the first null point, then to the second null and back and forth, your are slowly setting your effective length (and overhang) and you get to the same place. It just takes a lot longer to get there. The Jig that came with the VPI is also similar in the concept of setting your effective length and aligning at the same time but without offering you a second null for verification. Personally, I like to tinker with my tables and the Fiekert has made my life easier. 

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm »
As I was surfing the web I came across a product called the Wally Tractor. Etched glass and looks nice. Anyone used one of these?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:47 pm »
Happy new year,
I haven't previously checked out most of the protractors/alignment devices above. I didn't need to. I have one of those TT Basics mirrored (Baerwald) protractors. It can be tricky to use, depending on the lighting. Helps to get azimuth too. I don't normally use it though, for alignment.

The Wally Tractor looks like each protractor is tonearm specific, so it would be more susceptible to error from a misplaced arm mount. There is a new universal version, but if you're unsure of eff length or mounting accuracy, it looks like a royal PIA using an arc to figure it out. It's also $250. If you have a factory mounted arm and are sure it's mounted perfect, it looks like you could get good results.

The Best Tractor looks like a similar, tonearm specific protractor. Same as above regarding eff length/mounting distance. $110. If you only have 1 arm with no plans for another.....

The Feikert looks to be the best of the bunch. It's really a modern version of a Dennessen. If I were going to spend $225 (LpGear) for an alignment device, this would be it. The only reservation - you must be able to sight the intersection of the pivots, from above. If you can do this, like the Dennessen, it works on the actual location of the pivots, not where they should be.

Back after breakfast - take a look at AVA.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:10 pm »
From the info provided by the link above, I'm not sure about the AVA. It's based on eff length, but not enough info is provided about the flexibility. Apparently there are 2 grids to give a more exact check. There's also something called a stringer. I assume this is to orient the protractor with the pivot(s). Also unsure of the alignment, Loefgren?

With 2 grids and pivot orientation this seems to be the best value at $30. Not positive about any of this. Maybe Wayner can enlighten us.

IMO Baerwald is the best alignment. I tried Loefgren again recently and it sounds pretty close, maybe a little better in the middle. But Baerwald sounds better at the beginning and the end, noticeably so. For some reason I don't notice the difference in the middle as much. That's where Loefgren is best.

There is an alternative you know. Get a regular protractor and learn to do it right. It really isn't that hard.
neo

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2011, 08:48 pm »
The first grid by the spindle will set overhang for any arm up to 250mm (spindle to pivot) with maximum overhang of 30mm, just cause that's how far I ran it out, the second grid aligns any alignment you can think of. It also has built in dots for Baerwald, Lofgren B and Stevenson, but the grid also simply goes from outer edge of record to label for other alignments. The stringer is used to align the tonearm pivot with the CAT-TWO.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:11 am »
As I was surfing the web I came across a product called the Wally Tractor. Etched glass and looks nice. Anyone used one of these?

I am in denial about mine. I bought it probably 7 or 8 years ago etched for a Rega. It came to my office in a manila envelope. I know it couldn't possibly be thrown away but alas, I cannot find the envelope!!!! It did look cool with the hand etching and all.

Paul