Synergistic Research Powercell 10 SE

rydenfan

Re: Synergistic Research Powercell 10 SE
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2009, 12:58 am »
Thanks for the comments, Scotty  :thumb: I found them most interesting

hchilcoat

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:37 pm »
Just picked up a used Powercell 6 with T3 UHC power cord yesterday (the owner moved up to a 10 SE). This unit has less than 100 hours, so maybe not full broken in, but even after a few hours of listening, I have to agree with all the comments posted so far with respect to improved bass, holographic soundstage extending beyond speakers, more dynamic sound. Look forward to further listening.

I did get a bit nervous when I initially plugged the Powercell into the socket -- all the lights in the room went off for a second (I don't have a dedicated line), as if the Powercell was sucking up all the juice. But all was well and once everything was hooked up and warmed up I soon found myself lost in the music. :thumb:

I wonder what the improvement is between the standard models and the SE??

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:41 pm »
I just picked up a PowerCell 10 SE (on loan from a local dealer) and will insert it into the system tomorrow to start playing around with it(tonight is already taken by the Battlestar Galactica Series Finale).

I will be comparing the PowerCell 10 SE to a Running Spring Audio Haley.

George

hchilcoat

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2009, 07:22 pm »
George, Any impressions yet on the Powercell 10SE vs the Running Spring Haley??

Howard

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:10 pm »
George, Any impressions yet on the Powercell 10SE vs the Running Spring Haley??

Howard

Howard,

Not yet.

Been very busy with work (end of quarter) and family.

George

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:19 pm »
I'm getting pretty close to completing the same comparison (I use a Haley and a Duke) and should have something to share this weekend....

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:12 pm »
I am not ready to post any lengthy comments yet, but the damn thing sounds pretty darn good!

Let's just say that I am not exactly rushing to put my RSA Haley back in.

George

Philistine

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:44 am »
I'm interested in how it performs when a power amps plugged into the Powercell.  If any of you guys feel inclined to try it I would be interested in the feedback.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:45 am »
I'm interested in how it performs when a power amps plugged into the Powercell.  If any of you guys feel inclined to try it I would be interested in the feedback.

Phil,

My Atma-Sphere MA-1's are both plugged into the PowerCell SE (they were also plugged into my RSA Haley).

George

arthurs

« Reply #29 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:56 am »
I have both my VAC Phi 300.'s in mine, along with pre , cdp and Duet

Philistine

« Reply #30 on: 2 Apr 2009, 02:02 am »
Arthur/George
Thanks for the fast response, it will be interesting to get your updates on the Powercell.
Based on the reviews/feedback, so far, I've got a strong suspicion that one of these will be in my constellation soon :duh:

rydenfan

« Reply #31 on: 2 Apr 2009, 02:38 am »
I wonder what Art and George think of it  :scratch:  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 2 Apr 2009, 02:39 pm »
Below are some initial comments on the PowerCell 10 SE when compared to my Running Springs Audio Haley.  I kept everything the same outside of the power cord used on the conditioners.  With the Haley, I was using a Copper Kaplan Cable cord - with the PowerCell 10 SE, I am using the provided Tesla Precision AC power cord.  This cord uses a 32 amp Powercon connector and comes standard with the unit.

Initial Comments:

* Quieter background
    * Improved detail - greater separation of notes, music is faster
    * Improved sense of depth and space - music is just hanging out there
    * Improved bass - more texture and body to the pluck of a stand-up bass or thwack! when hitting a drum
    * Music is punchier and more forceful, but in a non-aggressive way
    * Slight removal of grain or grit on horns and brass (which I didn't even notice before)
    * System sounds more effortless and powerful

Overall it has been a very positive experience so far. Please keep in mind that while the Haley is excellent and performs outside of its price range, there is a substantial price difference between the RSA Haley (~$1400) and the SR PowerCell 10 SE ($5000).

George

rw@cn

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:08 pm »
Hate to resurrect this topic. But I am interested in the PowerCell 10 and it has been hard to find any long term listening comments.

Thanks

kingdeezie

« Reply #34 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:23 pm »
Hello, RW; welcome to audiocircle.

I currently have the SR Powercell 10SE, for what is almost a year now. I think what Zybar posted above is a pretty accurate representation of what you can expect to hear when adding the Powercell into your system.

The Powercell has this ability to make your music sound more powerful and dynamic, while at the same time making it seemed more relaxed and natural.

When I added the Powercell to my system it painted the music more completely outside, in between, and above the speakers. Micro and Macro Dynamics were greatly improved, and inner detail was much better.

Instead of music uncontrollably lashing out at me, it instead leaped out at me with purpose and much more precision; with control.

It removed a lot of the grain I was hearing in my highs as well.

Overall it was probably one of the best investments I made in this hobby.

I would like to make the suggestion that you try as hard as you can to jump to the 10SE.

The price difference is only 1K, but the difference more then makes up for it.

First off the 10SE is an upgraded version of the 10, so it increases the improvements you get.

Second, the 10SE comes with the Precision AC power cable. It is the best powercable that SR offers for its power conditioners, and is 1800 dollars if bought separately. It increases the performance of both the standard 10 and 10SE.

So for 1K more, you are getting an 1800 dollar powercable and an improved powercell; its worth it at that point IMO.

Shop around, and you might be able to get the 10SE for closer to the 10's price.

I bought mine from thecableco, and was very happy with their service. They might even let you demo it in your system I believe.

Good luck!

rw@cn

« Reply #35 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:50 pm »
Thanks. I guess I'll have to contact the Cable Co. for an in-home audition.

rw@cn

Re: Synergistic Research Powercell 4
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:31 pm »
 :D

I bought a Powercell 4 two weeks ago and can confirm all of the comments made above. I bought it because my equipment is in two locations (I'll be getting another later). When I spoke to Ted(?) at Synergistic he was bubbling with enthusiasm over the new model. He said that they discontinued the 6 and 10 and modified the SE due to the 4.

My unit replaced a Shunyata Guardian 4. After initial break-in I am thoroughly enjoying the improvements in my system. I was a bit skeptical and worried (since there are no power surge features). fortunately, I have a whole house unit but am still not truly comfortable.

I recommend this unit. Increased detail, no background, all of the superlatives.

jaspal kallar

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:46 pm »
:D

I bought a Powercell 4 two weeks ago and can confirm all of the comments made above. I bought it because my equipment is in two locations (I'll be getting another later). When I spoke to Ted(?) at Synergistic he was bubbling with enthusiasm over the new model. He said that they discontinued the 6 and 10 and modified the SE due to the 4.

My unit replaced a Shunyata Guardian 4. After initial break-in I am thoroughly enjoying the improvements in my system. I was a bit skeptical and worried (since there are no power surge features). fortunately, I have a whole house unit but am still not truly comfortable.

I recommend this unit. Increased detail, no background, all of the superlatives.

Thanks for the comments.  What ac power cord do you use with your Powercell 4?

rw@cn

« Reply #38 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:18 am »
Thanks for the comments.  What ac power cord do you use with your Powercell 4?

Right now I am using the stock power cord. I am going to get the T3 later this month. I don't know which version.

Berto

« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:40 am »
I'm very much enjoying my Bybee wire purifier ver 2, it replaced/bettered a acoustive revive ultimate.

My ? is , has anyone compared the powercell to the bybee v/2?

Thx!