Sub Hookup

circularduck

Sub Hookup
« on: 4 Aug 2004, 11:48 am »
Hi Mike,

I read in another forum your recommendation to hookup the sub through either the L or R line level inputs instead of the theater input to increase the extension of the sub. I have a Titan IILE at home, and I did this change and measured much more low end extension.  My question is this, should I just treat this input the same as the theater input if I'm coming out of my receiver's sub out?  That is, should I have the sub's crossover turned to max?  Secondly, should I go to one input, or should I buy a Y-cable to go to both the L and R inputs?  And lastly, I don't remember reading this particular setup in the manual, but you said it was the most popular way of hooking it up, is this through personal recommendations?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks.

Mike Dzurko

Sub Hookup
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2004, 04:43 pm »
Hello!

The theater input rolls off the low frequencies starting at 35Hz. It is designed to the original THX specs and allows maximum output levels. Most people (myself included) use the standard inputs, right or left doesn't matter. You only need one because the amp has plenty of gain, so a Y connector isn't required. If you're using the bass management in your rec or processor you'll probably want to turn the crossover frequencies all the way up. However, some people have found that they can get an even better blend by also using one or both of the filters in the Titan. For example, if you rec cuts off at 100Hz, 12db/oct: set one of the Titan filters to 100Hz and you'll have a 24db/oct combined cutoff. Use them both and you'd have 36db/oct. Sometimes a sharper cutoff is good. Experiment with your setup to see. I just taking off out of town, will be back sometime Sunday for any followup. Great questions, Thanks!

circularduck

Sub Hookup
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2004, 12:01 pm »
Thanks Mike,

A follow-up question:  If I were to use the subs crossover as well as the receivers (fixed at 90 Hz), would I be losing LFE information?  I thought the reason to set the crossovers to max was so that the receiver sends all of the speakers bass to the sub, and all of the LFE information is sent to the sub (some of which may be over the receivers' crossover frequency, from what I understand).  Obviously this would not be a concern for music.  This is mostly just a question for knowledge sake.  If the sub sounds better that way, I would leave it.

Mike Dzurko

Sub Hookup
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2004, 08:31 pm »
Quote from: circularduck
Thanks Mike,

A follow-up question:  If I were to use the subs crossover as well as the receivers (fixed at 90 Hz), would I be losing LFE information?  I thought the reason to set the crossovers to max was so that the receiver sends all of the speakers bass to the sub, and all of the LFE information is sent to the sub (some of which may be over the receivers' crossover frequency, from what I understand).  Obviously this would not be a concern for music.  This is mostly just a question for knowledge sake.  If the sub sounds better that way, I would leave it.

That's a good question and I'm not sure there is a definitive answer. LFE info can be as high as 120Hz. From what I've heard, most mixes don't contain a lot of LFE above around 80Hz, but I wouldn't mind hearing from others on this. And, I believe that different recievers and processors handle this part of bass management differently so there isn't really one correct answer. If I get a little time, I might do some searching on this topic. I'm not as up to date on this as I'd like to be . . .

Anyone else with input on this?

durholt

Force Subs Too
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2004, 04:23 pm »
I emailed Mike if the same is true for the Force subs. Per his YES response... I changed my Force to the Stereo output. It truly does make a difference. I can not express how much I love my new system.