My X-CS Encore Build

lacro

Re: My X-CS Encore Build
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2014, 08:09 pm »
I'm back! 
 Now that I have a lot more time :hyper: I need to finish some speaker projects, and try new ones :green:
It looks like everybody has moved onto the latest and greatest new speakers, and I am still messing with the X series :? That's ok, I hope to catch up soon...

I want to finish my X-CS Encore center and upgrade my X-LS Encores for my small room set-up. The stock Encores sound great, but now that I have a lot more confidence in soldering on PC boards, I am ready to upgrade :thumb:

I don't yet have the X-CS Encore kit. Does anyone have the crossover exact external dimensions, especially the mounting hole center to center spacing (L&W)? I want to glue the front baffle on the cabinet before ordering the kit so I can start the finishing process. It would be nice to have the crossover mounting holes pre-drilled.

Here's some pics of my latest progress, using splines on all joints really makes the process a lot easier. It has allowed me to dry fit all parts except baffle and back. This allowed me to mark the locations where the damping material goes exactly, which worked perfectly, and should work the same with No-Rez

The glue-up was done with thickened Epoxy which allows a lot of time to work, and doesn't require heavy clamping or as many clamps as wood glue does. The splines aligned everything so well, it was easy to put together without worrying about something slipping :nono: It's been my experience with using epoxy is that it helps prevent seam print through..

This is a 'BIG SPEAKER BOX'

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2014, 09:21 pm »
Long time no see Larry  !
The cabinet is looking good.   Keep the pics coming.

I've never used the splines but it looks like  a good idea.  I used dados on my H-frame they also made assembly  a lot easier.

Are you still enjoying the  3110/3116 chip amps ?  I  lost track of the thread some time ago

-jay

lacro

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:33 pm »
Long time no see Larry  !
The cabinet is looking good.   Keep the pics coming.

I've never used the splines but it looks like  a good idea.  I used dados on my H-frame they also made assembly  a lot easier.

Are you still enjoying the  3110/3116 chip amps ?  I  lost track of the thread some time ago

-jay

Hi Jay,
 Yeah - It's been awhile. I have been obsessed with Class D amps for awhile now. I am listening right now to a TPA3116 heavily modded with a 3 tube pre-amp in front of it driving my X-LS Encores :thumb:

Dados would work great too, just requires a lot more hogging of material. I like the spline idea especially for someone doing their first build, as all you need is a trim router, 1/8" bit, and a straight edge.

I will keep the pics coming even though it's boring seeing someone build an older design when everyone else is building the latest....

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:58 pm »
I will keep the pics coming even though it's boring seeing someone build an older design when everyone else is building the latest....

Larry

Ahh, not ture .   ALL   the build threads are enjoyable no matter what the model  :thumb:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:04 pm »
Hi Jay,
 Yeah - It's been awhile. I have been obsessed with Class D amps for awhile now. I am listening right now to a TPA3116 heavily modded with a 3 tube pre-amp in front of it driving my X-LS Encores :thumb:

Dados would work great too, just requires a lot more hogging of material. I like the spline idea especially for someone doing their first build, as all you need is a trim router, 1/8" bit, and a straight edge.

Larry

Larry,

Looking good. Yes it is a big speaker (and heavy too).

Nothing wrong with the older designs. In addition to the Wedges I just finished I am currently building three X-CS Encores for my stepdaughter to use in a left/center/right arrangement, two pairs of X-MTM Encores for my niece and nephew and a pair of X-Omnis for my stepson to audition.

The CS-Encores are built and veneered, ready for final sanding then finishing. I will finish installing the NoRez in the MTM-Encores today and start gluing on the front baffles. I'm just starting on the X-Omnis. I hope to finish cutting the parts and routing the driver and brace openings this weekend. I'm trying to get them to a point where they are playable but unfinished by Thanksgiving so my stepson can hear them when he visits.

My point is that the older designs are alive and well, still being built and still fantastic speakers. Plus, at their price point they still can't be beat.

Mike

lacro

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:26 pm »
Larry,

Looking good. Yes it is a big speaker (and heavy too).

Nothing wrong with the older designs. In addition to the Wedges I just finished I am currently building three X-CS Encores for my stepdaughter to use in a left/center/right arrangement, two pairs of X-MTM Encores for my niece and nephew and a pair of X-Omnis for my stepson to audition.

The CS-Encores are built and veneered, ready for final sanding then finishing. I will finish installing the NoRez in the MTM-Encores today and start gluing on the front baffles. I'm just starting on the X-Omnis. I hope to finish cutting the parts and routing the driver and brace openings this weekend. I'm trying to get them to a point where they are playable but unfinished by Thanksgiving so my stepson can hear them when he visits.

My point is that the older designs are alive and well, still being built and still fantastic speakers. Plus, at their price point they still can't be beat.

Mike

Hey Mike,
 I am amazed how many great looking builds you have been doing lately :thumb:
Are you using stock crossover boards on the you X-CS Encores? I am looking for outside dimensions for it, and the hole spacing, so I can pre-drill the mounting holes.

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:52 pm »
I THINK the CS uses the same board as the  X LS Encore

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2014, 06:12 pm »
Hey Mike,
 I am amazed how many great looking builds you have been doing lately :thumb:
Are you using stock crossover boards on the you X-CS Encores? I am looking for outside dimensions for it, and the hole spacing, so I can pre-drill the mounting holes.

Larry

Larry,

I do have some of the stock boards. The outside dimensions are 5 1/8" x 5 1/2". The hole spacing is 4 15/16" on the long side and 4 9/16" on the short side. The cross square measurement for the hole spacing is 6 11/16".

Another option would be to use SPAX screws. I like them because you don't need to drill a pilot hole, they are self-cutting. Makes installing the boards a lot easier. Around here I get them at Home Depot.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
I THINK the CS uses the same board as the  X LS Encore

-jay

I don't know if the CS crossover was able to be squeezed onto the same physical size board as the LS but the actual crossovers for the LS and CS are different.

Mike

Oops, just saw your picture.  I didn't pay attention to that part of the board. I guess they are the same physical size.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2014, 06:22 pm »
Just thought it would be the same board  being that  it has the CS label on it   :scratch:

Another option especially if he is upgrading the c/o anyhow , would be to  hard wire it on his own baord  like  you did  .... not sure if you're into doing that or not Larry

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2014, 07:04 pm »
Just thought it would be the same board  being that  it has the CS label on it   :scratch:

Another option especially if he is upgrading the c/o anyhow , would be to  hard wire it on his own baord  like  you did  .... not sure if you're into doing that or not Larry

If you are going to hardwire it you have to upgrade the inductors also. It's not really all that much more cost to add the inductors, wire and solder and build the board yourself. To me it sounds better this way so I bought the additional parts and built out all the boards.

Mike

lacro

« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm »
Mike/Jay,
 Thanks for the help and suggestions. The suggestion to build the crossovers myself would be good if I was starting from scratch with the 3 speakers. However, I already have the crossovers for X-LS Encores, and I am going to upgrade those, as well as the X-CS Encore crossover.
 Mike - Thanks for the exact dimensions! I made a template using them, and pre-drilled the screw holes. Now I can finish lining the box with fiberglass before gluing the front baffle on.

Larry

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2014, 09:10 pm »
Hey guys,

All of those crossovers are different but they did share the same circuit board.

lacro

« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm »
I finished putting in the rest of my fiberglass over the floor tiles using 3M 77 spray glue. Never again - the next time will be No Rez for sure :duh:

soaked all glue surfaces with unthickened epoxy with multiple applications, here I am starting to apply the epoxy thickened with Wests 403 filler to make a strong glue

Front baffle clamped down lightly. The epoxy that squeezed out has been scraped off before it sets up

lacro

« Reply #34 on: 21 Oct 2014, 08:01 pm »
Got some more done...

Had enough ink to do the first round on the edges. It's impossible to find Dye type, alcohol base ink in my town. I will have to get some on line, or maybe I will switch to aniline dye which I will have to buy on line as well :(

lacro

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:50 pm »
Done with the India Ink staining - almost ready for epoxy...

lacro

« Reply #36 on: 24 Oct 2014, 04:17 pm »
Fisrt coat of epoxy - thinned a little with alcohol, and tinted with graphite powder.

lacro

« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:48 pm »
Sanded off the high spots from the first round of epoxy, and added another coat of not thinned/black tinted epoxy. The epoxy really hardens the MDF.

lacro

« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
Second coat of epoxy sanded, and third applied, this time not tinted. This is a multi-step process to build enough epoxy thickness so it can be sanded smooth. I know it's boring watching paint (epoxy) dry :icon_lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2014, 07:20 pm »
I appreciate your posting these. It's all new to me.  :thumb: