BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

ddafoe

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #100 on: 25 Nov 2012, 08:04 pm »
Hi James,

Just curious about your thoughts on running the BDA-2 directly into a power amplifier and relying on a digital volume from the digital source (e.g. JRiver's digital volume control).   Would you recommend this approach (e.g. is the BDA-2's analog output capable of driving most power amplifiers)?    I just recently sold my preamp (I was only using one digital source) and am looking for a very high quality DAC like the BDA-2 but with a volume control; I would be willing to use a digital volume control with the DAC if it makes sense.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 25 Nov 2012, 08:25 pm »
Hi James,

Just curious about your thoughts on running the BDA-2 directly into a power amplifier and relying on a digital volume from the digital source (e.g. JRiver's digital volume control).   Would you recommend this approach (e.g. is the BDA-2's analog output capable of driving most power amplifiers)?    I just recently sold my preamp (I was only using one digital source) and am looking for a very high quality DAC like the BDA-2 but with a volume control; I would be willing to use a digital volume control with the DAC if it makes sense.

Thanks

You have to be careful with a digital volume control as you lose resolution (bits) as you turn down the volume.

James

werd

« Reply #102 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks

Hi

I just got my BDA 2 and it can drive a power amp no problem. Mine drives a TPV pre and then a 14B with excellent results.  But i would take James advice on not using a digital volume control off a music player. You will lose resolution.

gjorgji

« Reply #103 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:45 am »
Got the BDA-2 today ...  :thumb: currently using it with BHA1 and LCD3 ..  USB interface with JRiver .. different sound signature then BDA1 .. will say background is darker, but lots of details .. 192k material sounds very organic ... Overall good start .. real test this weekend on speaker rig ..

uncouth

« Reply #104 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:25 pm »
Taking delivery of the BDA-2 today. Excitement spilleth over! Should help bring my BDP-1 to a higher level.  :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #105 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:57 pm »
Keep the feedback coming guys, I've got my BDA-2 on order but it always takes longer for Bryston kit to arrive this side of the pond, so reading your reviews will help ease the wait :)

gordon

« Reply #106 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:28 pm »
Have my order placed with Rickey at Ovation Audio in Ontario, make mine a good one! Btw it took about 8 seconds to sell my BDA1' got to love the resale - ability of Bryston, thanks James and yeah Canada!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #107 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:22 pm »
Have my order placed with Rickey at Ovation Audio in Ontario, make mine a good one! Btw it took about 8 seconds to sell my BDA1' got to love the resale - ability of Bryston, thanks James and yeah Canada!

Will keep an eye out for it  :thumb:

James

Marius

« Reply #108 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:39 pm »

Hi Gordon,

How did you  sell your BDA1? Seems to be impossible
 here...

Marius

gordon

« Reply #109 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:44 pm »
Canuck Audio Mart, the BDA1's are selling pretty fast (sorry I do not known how to paste the question I am replying to)

srb

« Reply #110 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:59 pm »
..... (sorry I do not known how to paste the question I am replying to)

Use the Quote link at the far right of the post instead of the Reply button.  It will insert the entire quote, so you may want to delete non-related sentences or unneeded photos, just make sure that the beginning "quote" and ending "/quote" tags (both enclosed in square brackets) are intact.

If you also want to add additional quotes from other posters, scroll down from the message editing window and you will see an Insert Quote link to the far right of each post.

Use the Preview button to make sure that what you wanted to quote is inside the shaded quote box and that your reply is outside of it.

Steve

gordon

« Reply #111 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:30 am »

Use the Quote link at the far right of the post instead of the Reply button.  It will insert the entire quote, so you may want to delete non-related sentences or unneeded photos,

Steve

Thanks, new skill for Gordon!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #112 on: 2 Dec 2012, 02:53 am »
Ok, I'm not gonna read the whole thread...so basically what are the main differences between the BDA-1 and BDA-2?

Phil A

« Reply #113 on: 2 Dec 2012, 02:57 am »
Ok, I'm not gonna read the whole thread...so basically what are the main differences between the BDA-1 and BDA-2?

Just read the first post with the features

- different DAC chips
- 24/192 USB

Per James, with programming it should be able to do DSD.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #114 on: 2 Dec 2012, 03:02 am »
Oh ok, cool.  Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

uncouth

« Reply #115 on: 2 Dec 2012, 04:43 pm »
Unpacked and set-up the BDA-2 then patiently waited on my Cardas AES/EBU cable to arrive. Aside from a slight cosmetic flaw (scratched chassis) that James is currently helping me rectify, the BDA-2 has been a revelation in my listening room. While I still consider my outgoing DAC (Rega) a quite capable little guy, the difference really is staggering.

Back to listening. Will give my impressions as the equipment and cables burn in a bit.

Elemberg

« Reply #116 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:25 pm »
Just took delivery of my BDA-2 today!  This is my first Bryston product and WOW the fit finish are top quality.  I had a chance to briefly listen today, and I can say I am very pleased.  My outgoing DAC is a Peachtree iDac.  While the iDac is not a bad DAC by any means the Bryston has greater resoulution and has a much more refined sound.  I'm letting it burn in some more and look forward to sharing my experience after a weekend of listening.       

Elemberg

« Reply #117 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:50 am »
After a few hours of listening to the BDA-2 I am most impressed. The Bryston has brought my system to an entirely diffrent level. Music is free of grain and has a harmonic structure and rightness that until now I just wasn't sure existed through the digital domain.  Imaging is tight without being spotlit and the soundstage is deep placing me within the realm of the musical event.  In summation the price of admission is worth it, and from my seat I couldn't be happier!

Johnnybrick

« Reply #118 on: 5 Dec 2012, 03:23 pm »
After a few hours of listening to the BDA-2 I am most impressed. The Bryston has brought my system to an entirely diffrent level. Music is free of grain and has a harmonic structure and rightness that until now I just wasn't sure existed through the digital domain.  Imaging is tight without being spotlit and the soundstage is deep placing me within the realm of the musical event.  In summation the price of admission is worth it, and from my seat I couldn't be happier!

Thanks for sharing your listening experience with your new BDA2 Elmberg. I have a BDA2 on-order and it appears it'll be a couple of weeks before I receive it......can't wait! It's a Jingle Bells! ;) With that said, I'm very curious to hear the comparisons with the PWD2 roll-in.

uncouth

« Reply #119 on: 7 Dec 2012, 06:44 am »
I've spent a few days with my BDA-2 and am loving it more and more with each listen. My experience is akin to what Elemberg described in his recent post. The detail that the BDA brings out is just something I've never before experienced in my listening room. Very pleased with the purchase...