Help needed with LS-9 Repair

Bioman

Help needed with LS-9 Repair
« on: 25 Nov 2017, 05:45 pm »
I own a pair of the LS-9’s, and three of the planer drivers on one speaker have stopped working (bottom three).  I Ohm the wiring connections and they are good so that leaves the drivers.  Since they are wired in Trio's I assume one or more of the three is dead.  Since the GR website does not list these as being available I did  a web search and found what I think are direct replacements but need verification.  Parts Express has Bohlender Graebener Neo8S Planar Transducer and Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducer.  Which if either would be a drop in?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Help needed with LS-9 Repair
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2017, 05:49 pm »
Danny probably has spares for owners of LS-9's.  Give him a call and he will tell you the options.

Bioman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2017, 05:51 pm »
Dropped a call; will see.  Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:56 pm »
The Neo 8.8 models used in these are custom built for this application. No other version will work.

And yes, I have a few spares in stock.

Bioman

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:11 pm »
At this point I am noticing other issues aside from the 8.8's Danny.  Perhaps part-in-parcel with what caused the 8.8's to fail.  I am getting minimal volume from this entire speaker and a constant crackling sound in both the working 8.8's and the woofers.   :cry:  How can I proceed from here? :?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2017, 06:11 pm »
Remove the door with the connectors or the bottom panel and look at the crossover and bass resistors pc boards and take pictures.  That may give an idea of what is happening.

Bioman

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2017, 06:30 pm »
Will do, may take a day or so as crossover breadboard is RTV'd to the base.