X-static vs some other similar kits

Danny Richie

Re: X-static vs some other similar kits
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2017, 06:14 pm »
He shot me an e-mail. He was asking about the by-pass cap.

dlynch34

« Reply #41 on: 12 Nov 2017, 07:45 pm »
Here is a pic of the crossover with the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrades.

The lower woofers get wired in parallel and the mids get wired in parallel. There is a polarity flip on the lower woofers but the flip is made on the crossover board. So you just wire + to + and - to - board to drivers.

If it isn't clear call me and I'll walk you through it
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2017, 12:07 am by dlynch34 »

dlynch34

« Reply #42 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:00 am »
crossover caps added... so my next question(S) is speaker wire...do I create connections terminals directly to the crossover for each woofer..ie 2 sets of wire to woofers etc?  also the size hole do I drill for the binding tubes I have ?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:50 pm »
crossover caps added... so my next question(S) is speaker wire...do I create connections terminals directly to the crossover for each woofer..ie 2 sets of wire to woofers etc?  also the size hole do I drill for the binding tubes I have ?

Thanks

The crossover has through holes there on the board for the wiring. Just feed the wire through from the front and solder it to the back side of the board just like all the components.

For the drivers solder the wire directly to the terminals. Tin the wire and tin the terminals with solder. Then lay the wire flat against it and solder it to it.

The tube connectors need a 7?16" through hole.

dlynch34

« Reply #44 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:56 pm »
Thanks Dannie that makes sense...for clarification do I ie woofers use one wire for both woofers to the cross over and lastly the input section on the board I assume goes to the speaker terminals themselves?..forgive me this is my first ever speaker build...

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:15 pm »
Thanks Dannie that makes sense...for clarification do I ie woofers use one wire for both woofers to the cross over and lastly the input section on the board I assume goes to the speaker terminals themselves?..forgive me this is my first ever speaker build...

Your questions are always welcome.

You can wire a single pair of wires to the woofers (lower) and jumper from the lower one to the upper one. You can do the same with the mids.

And yes, the input section of the crossover board receives the wires from the tube connectors.

dlynch34

« Reply #46 on: 13 Nov 2017, 07:55 pm »
lastly what did everyone do for the wiring of the open baffle portion with the crossover inside the enclosure?

THanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:10 pm »
These were production units.

Put a couple of small holes in the sealed section right below the lower mid and run your wiring up through there.

dlynch34

« Reply #48 on: 14 Nov 2017, 06:17 pm »
tweeter polarity..doesnt seem to be marked any thoughts?

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2017, 07:21 pm »
tweeter polarity..doesnt seem to be marked any thoughts?

The larger terminal is the positive one.

dlynch34

« Reply #50 on: 16 Nov 2017, 12:59 pm »

getting there... and they work! 

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:46 pm »
Hmmm, the kit should have arrived with black Torx head screws for all the drivers.

dlynch34

« Reply #52 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:53 pm »
Danny if they did I couldnt find them.. its no worry I actually kind of like this look personally :)  besides it is more how they sound in the end for me .

dlynch34

« Reply #53 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm »
anyone think I have a bad tweeter?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #54 on: 19 Nov 2017, 04:30 pm »
Well, something's not right.  It could be the tweeter, but that's easy to check.  Run your speaker wire (at low volume) direct to the tweeter with a protective cap in line to see if you get sound.  I'm betting the problem is in your crossover or hookup. Regardless, Danny will help you sort it out. 

dlynch34

« Reply #55 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:09 pm »
I actually swapped out the known good tweeter and got the same result.. I cannot see any wiring issues with the crossover itself as they are both identical.  I emailed Danny so I will wait and see what he thinks...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #56 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:35 pm »
Then it has to be in your crossover or connection to the tweeter.  You have inspected the crossover and they LOOK identical.  Triple check that.  Then put on some music, softly, and wiggle each connection in the bad crossover (looking for a bad solder joint).  If that doesn't revel the problem, step away for a day and try to get another pair of eyes on the crossover comparison.  We tend to look for problems the same way, in the same patterns.  Someone else will approach it differently. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:23 pm »
You likely have a connection on the crossover not making contact going to the tweeter. Check your connections.

Also, while a bass management system might improve the lower end response, it might suck the life out of the music for the rest of your signal to pass though it. Depending on your set up then you might want to only allow the signal to the lower woofers passing through it.

dlynch34

« Reply #58 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:24 pm »
Thanks all It was a combination of the crossover connection and the actual tweeter connection.  I am good now on it.  Danny not sure what you mean by just letting the signal pass thru the lower end?  I have 2 subs I utilize for the lower end...if you are referring to the graph it was just a measurement I took before any settings changes in my system itself..

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:50 pm »
Thanks all It was a combination of the crossover connection and the actual tweeter connection.  I am good now on it.  Danny not sure what you mean by just letting the signal pass thru the lower end?  I have 2 subs I utilize for the lower end...if you are referring to the graph it was just a measurement I took before any settings changes in my system itself..

No, I mean that I would not let the signal to the Mids and tweeter pass through a room correction device. Letting the lower woofers signal pass through a device like that might not be too bad though.