BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm »
Danny, Thanks for the info!  I look forward to your future designs.

tom

nickd

« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:07 pm »
Danny,

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's somewhat related.

Are you by any chance working on a mid-range driver like the Neo 10? In my system the time alignment, and speed of a Neo 3 and two Neo 10's in MTM configuration is hard to beat.

If you design a planar mid with a good output at +/- 250Hz, future designs could be revolutionary in resolution.   :thumb:

jn316

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:46 pm »
...and a Neo 10 variant that doesn't require a tricky baffle. Hey, we can dream, right?! I'm sure it would be easy to design.  8)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2016, 07:41 pm »
As the technology advances and prices come down, 3D printing the waveguide could allow cutting a simple baffle opening just like a faceplate for a driver

NeilT

« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm »
Can this Neo3 be a direct replacement for the OB7 Neo3?

Danny?

Neil

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2016, 12:19 am »
PE lists this driver as a Neo3W not a Neo3 PDR. Don't know if they are the same or not  :scratch:

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2016, 12:35 am »
The BG NEO3W is not a NEO3PDR.  They have different dispersion patterns.

Danny was buying a special version of the NEO3PDR.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #28 on: 10 Apr 2016, 12:37 am »
This standard Neo Series driver uses a uniform magnet system to radiate throughout the surface of the driver. The result is a transducer with a higher sensitivity and higher maximum output capabilities. However, since the radiating area is much wider, horizontal off-axis response is not as good as with the PDR version. This produces a very narrow "listening window" that has rapidly decreasing high-frequency output outside of this window. When highest efficiency or tightly controlled directivity are the goals, the standard version is still the unit of choice.

http://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo3w-planar-tweeter-with-back-cup--264-756

studiotech

« Reply #29 on: 10 Apr 2016, 02:26 am »
PE also put up the Neo8PDR and Neo10 again.

http://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo8-pdr-planar-transducer--264-754

http://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo10-planar-transducer--264-750

Very interesting.  Wonder if Christie stopped being unrealistic with their demands......

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2016, 03:07 am »
Can this Neo3 be a direct replacement for the OB7 Neo3?

Danny?

Neil

Nope, you'll need a pdr version.

HAL

• Industry Contributor

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2016, 01:28 pm »
Danny, so does this mean there is a shipment of new drivers coming to you as well, or is this some kind of "exclusive" deal with PE?  I hope this means your kits can all get back to business as usual. :)

NeilT

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2016, 06:45 pm »
http://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo3-pdrw-planar-tweeter-with-back-cup--264-760

It was not in stock as of this posting.

Ok, will this work for the OB7?

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:39 pm »
http://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo3-pdrw-planar-tweeter-with-back-cup--264-760

Neil

Neil, HAL is selling a pair  of the   GR  (deep cup) version, shoot him a pm. 
If that doesn't work out, there  is a guy on Ebay  selling some  reg Neo3 pdr's (non deep cup),   I can send you a pair of the deep  cups if you get a reg pair, just LMK

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:51 pm »
Looks like someone else was faster.  Sale pending on my pair.

I did get my stock NEO3PDR's from the Ebay guy in Connecticut.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:10 pm »

Neil

It is the same driver, but you'll need the face plate and the deep back cup for it to work.

It will work in the Wedgies or NX-Otica's as is though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:23 pm »
NeilT,
PM mlundy for info on NEO3PDR's for OB7's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:43 pm »
Danny,

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's somewhat related.

Are you by any chance working on a mid-range driver like the Neo 10? In my system the time alignment, and speed of a Neo 3 and two Neo 10's in MTM configuration is hard to beat.

If you design a planar mid with a good output at +/- 250Hz, future designs could be revolutionary in resolution.   :thumb:

I want to come back to this one.

If you parallel the two Neo 10's then the Neo 3 can barely match the sensitivity. They really don't have high enough sensitivity down low to reach the two Neo 10's. So they have to be crossed fairly high.

In the Super-7's I added a little 3/4" wave guide around a custom (high sensitivity) Neo 3 and was able to cross them at 2,500Hz. You really can't put the Neo 3 in a bigger waveguide very well with the Neo 10's and still keep the voice coils aligned. You'd basically have a horn sticking out past the Neo 10's.

What is really needed is a lower sensitivity 16 ohm Neo 10 to make it work better.

Now in the new NX-Otica I am am mounted the Neo 3's in a deep 1/5" thick wave guide that also aligns them to the voice coils of the M-165NQ drivers. The deep waveguide makes the crossover point is really low at 1,300Hz.

The resolution really sounds just as good as when I used them with the Neo 10's, and maybe even a little better. So nothing has been lost with the woofers. The lower crossover point greatly improves the off axis response in all directions too. And actually since the M-165NQ drivers play lower than the Neo 10's they tend to have a little more body, and I am liking the vocals better in these too.

So if you are really looking for something revolutionary then the NX-Otica might just be it.

*Scotty*

« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:08 am »
Assuming a pair of the Neo 10s acoustically sum and together now have a 4ohm load it looks like you have 92dB sensitivity plus an added 6dB for a total 98dB sensitivity. That's going to be a problem matching for a lot of tweeters and without a separately amped bass section a problem there as well.
Scotty