Amadeus MKII Cartridge Recs $1,000

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: Amadeud MKII Cartridge Recs $1,000
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2015, 08:56 pm »
Why not upgrade your phone preamp and or SUT or do you feel your  Klyne 6PE phono preamp is getting the most out of your Ortofon Rondo Red? Any reason why you did not go the SUT route?

sebrof

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2015, 11:50 pm »
Why not upgrade your phone preamp and or SUT or do you feel your  Klyne 6PE phono preamp is getting the most out of your Ortofon Rondo Red? Any reason why you did not go the SUT route?
I think the Klyne is a pretty good phono stage, worlds better than a couple of phonos in the $1,000 range that I owned or tried.
No reason why I haven't tried a SUT except that I don't need one with the Klyne.

sunnydaze

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2015, 03:43 am »
Hey Sebrof...... Dunno if you're still looking,  but here's  a brand new Dyna 20X2H for about half your budget.   VG price,  buy yourself a Christmas present!      :thumb: 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-dynavector-dv-20x2h-2015-12-24-analog-l0r-1k0

sebrof

« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2015, 03:58 pm »
Hey Sebrof...... Dunno if you're still looking,  but here's  a brand new Dyna 20X2H for about half your budget.   VG price,  buy yourself a Christmas present!      :thumb: 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-dynavector-dv-20x2h-2015-12-24-analog-l0r-1k0
That looks like a great deal, thanks for letting me know.
Turns out that a friend of mine built a really nice linestage and offered to sell it to me for a great price. I couldn't pass it up. All my Christmas budget (and a little more) got spent.
But I know what I'll buy when it's time to upgrade my cart. Hey, my birthday is right around the corner.

Thanks to all for the help!

G E

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2016, 09:14 pm »
The Dynavector 20, of course. The 17d needs proper matching and expert setup.
Those Grados need to go. Those are for beginners. Oops, there I go again.
Ok, not to be an ass, if you're thinking something like a Grado, go for the Cartridge Man. Far far better than a Grado. I think there's also a Nagaoka in that range. Very nice also.

I tend to be a contrarian (no surprise - after all, I do own an Amadeus), so I ignored your advice and bought a Grado Reference Master over the holidays.  It's the last rev that looks like a cricket coffin, not the new version that just came out.  It replaces the Reference Sonata I have been using.  I ran across the old sales receipt several weeks ago and was surprised to learn it's been in service for 4.5 years already.  Figuring 6-8 hours use weekly puts it at 1350-1800 hours use.

The cart swap was uneventful and I took the opportunity to re-level the table and dial in VTF, current at 1.58 grams.  BTW, I use Allen key screws which make installation much easier than slotted screws. 

So I have break-in ahead of me.  Already I notice more dynamic presentation and improved 3D presentation.  More later.

I plan to keep the Reference Sonata, might have SoundSmith retip it or put in new cantilever/stylus.

tipatina

« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:24 am »
G.E. I'm interested in your further impressions. I have a Ref Sonata and am also thinking of moving up the Grado chain to one of the low output models. There is absolutely no "Grado hum" with this table. I did experience some difficulty in mounting it to the WTA Mk2 head in that the screw holes seemed a little tight-to the point that I worried about damaging the head of the arm holding to tighten the screws. This was such an issue that its made me reconsider going with a Grado wood body in the future.

G E

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2016, 03:09 pm »
G.E. I'm interested in your further impressions. I have a Ref Sonata and am also thinking of moving up the Grado chain to one of the low output models. There is absolutely no "Grado hum" with this table. I did experience some difficulty in mounting it to the WTA Mk2 head in that the screw holes seemed a little tight-to the point that I worried about damaging the head of the arm holding to tighten the screws. This was such an issue that its made me reconsider going with a Grado wood body in the future.

I am very pleased withe upgrade. All of the attributes of the Sonata are further refined. I experience more of what I call "master tape epiphanies" with the Reference Master.  No tracking problems whatsoever.

Needle Doctor has one low output version remaining of the older v1 on close out. They sent an email today about it.

I had no issues with the cart installation. Allen head style screws make it easy.

sebrof

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2017, 02:27 pm »
There's also a big thread on the AT  ART 9 on Aydiogon. Lots of raves
Reviving my old thread.
A year later and a new end of year upgrade budget. I got an Audio Technica Art-9 a few weeks ago. I have about 40 hours on it now and I am very happy with it. Of course, I don't know how it would compare to any of the other suggestions (thanks, y'all) but I believe that for the $929 for this cartridge I did well.
Much more clarity than the Ortofon Rondo Red it replaced, much more dynamic and a wider soundstage. Just better all around. I think I'm set for a while.

G E

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2017, 02:51 pm »
Reviving my old thread.
A year later and a new end of year upgrade budget. I got an Audio Technica Art-9 a few weeks ago. I have about 40 hours on it now and I am very happy with it. Of course, I don't know how it would compare to any of the other suggestions (thanks, y'all) but I believe that for the $929 for this cartridge I did well.
Much more clarity than the Ortofon Rondo Red it replaced, much more dynamic and a wider soundstage. Just better all around. I think I'm set for a while.

In December I bought a second Grado reference master on close out. It is the last generation "cricket coffin" version.  I even got a $75 credit for sending in my old reference sonata.

I run my table maybe 8-10 hours on weekends, about 400 hours annually.

I plan to swap out the carts and run the new one to make sure it isn't defective. Then when it is worn out I'll put the original back on.  I figure i am set for five years with this plan.

There is a lot of magic generated by my system and it all starts with the Grado. Immense sound stage, lots of air and sparkle and 3D imaging. I played some hi rez digital last night; nice bombast and slam but lifeless in comparison to analog. I may cull my sacd/DVD-a collection....

I've thought about moving up the Hagerman line of phono preamps to his Violin or Trumpet models.  But no rush. That Cornet2 I built is doing me very well.

zylo

Re: Amadeus MKII Cartridge Recs $1,000
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2018, 09:46 am »
I know the tread is rather old, but still interesting :-) Are there anyone who have tried out Linn Adikt for the GTA ?