NAS advice

lokie

NAS advice
« on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:42 pm »
I know a lot of you hirez peeps are using NAS formusic servers.

My question is: what NAS do you recommended?  I want at least 3 bay (probably 4) and looking at Synology but not sure if there is a difference in the features that would help it play nice w Sonore or JPlay etc..

Also, any advice on switches? Maybe a Cisco SG100-16 v2?? Any opinions?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: NAS advice
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2015, 06:12 pm »
I have a Synology 1513+ and an add on DX513 5 bay unit (total 10 bays).  I'd get a DS415+ (4 bays with add on capability, hence the "plus").  It's quad core and plenty of memory for less than $600 (diskless).  My dual core is plenty and I do everything (Jplay, JPlaystreamer, Rendu, Minimserver, Buuble Server, etc).

Use a decent gigabit switch, like the Netgear Prosafe (example) and then throw a $30 Jameco linear power supply on it to keep it quieter.  I'm sure others will recommend an even better switch.

You might get more traction in the Diskless Circle, but I won't move this until you want me to.

skunark

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2015, 05:49 am »
My Synology NAS is still going strong but it's mostly demoted to being just a backup server to a few macs and linux boxes.   The iTunes features are pointless and the DS audio app is fine, but I would rather use my raspberry pi with MPD any day of the week.   I do use the VPN server from time to time which is probably the main reason why I kept it around.     If you have workstation class computers in the house, most of the Synology NASes support link aggregation, and you will need a switch that supports it as well and needs to be LACP enabled.   Useful for the impatient or those doing video editing.   

Sadly, it's probably worth pointing out that Synology had ransomware last year that a virus would encrypt the data on the drives, so don't rely on it as a sole backup.

I would recommend any of the 15+ series but if you plan to be in the room with the NAS pay attention to the noise level specification.

Jim

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:28 pm »
I have a Synology 1513+ and an add on DX513 5 bay unit (total 10 bays).  I'd get a DS415+ (4 bays with add on capability, hence the "plus").  It's quad core and plenty of memory for less than $600 (diskless).  My dual core is plenty and I do everything (Jplay, JPlaystreamer, Rendu, Minimserver, Buuble Server, etc)..

Ted,

It was recommended to me to go with a Synology 1515+ as the dedicated server for my Rendu SSR.  Is the DS415+ capable of the task?  That's a much better price.  Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:45 pm »
Ted,

It was recommended to me to go with a Synology 1515+ as the dedicated server for my Rendu SSR.  Is the DS415+ capable of the task?  That's a much better price.  Thanks.
Yes, 415 will work fine.  The question is really about how much data you have and what will be your uses(s) for it.  I'm still surprised how little most audiophiles use their Synology NAS as it's so powerful to do so much more. 

I have an 1813+ with a DX513 that I use as a local backup. 4TB drives in each.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:51 pm »
The only thing I misspoke about (and don't understand Synology about this) is that although the 415+ is a PLUS, it doesn't expand.  So it is 4 bays, period.  If you think you might need more than , say, 4x4TB (16TB, likely 12 with RAID failover...although they accept 6TB discs too, so then 24TB and 18TB with RAID failover) then get a true expandable one like the 1515 (or even the dual core 713+ that starts at 2 bays and goes to 7).

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:54 pm »
The only thing I misspoke about (and don't understand Synology about this) is that although the 415+ is a PLUS, it doesn't expand.  So it is 4 bays, period.  If you think you might need more than , say, 4x4TB (16TB, likely 12 with RAID failover...although they accept 6TB discs too, so then 24TB and 18TB with RAID failover) then get a true expandable one like the 1515 (or even the dual core 713+ that starts at 2 bays and goes to 7).
I could be wrong but I think the "+" is faster processor and more memory and an eSata port. 

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:20 pm »
I just purchased the DS415+($599) along with 4 WD Red drives($159 each) from B&H Photo.  I was going to have Ted_B help me setting it up but it is really quite simple.  In addition, you can google any subject that you don't understand(which is what I did) and it went very smooth.  The only thing Ted had to help me with was MinimWatch on my PC and Minimserver on the NAS.

The DS+ models allow you to add a multi-bay expansion unit in the future.

How much music to you have?  Go to properties and see how much space your library takes up.  1 terabyte is equal to 1000 GB.  If you run RAID you will give up one of your harddrives.  The DS415+ was a bit overkill for me but I am looking to the future and have learned that it's better to have too much space than not enough.

Regards,

Randy

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:40 pm »
Randy, Jason is right.  The plus signifies speed of cpu and eSata.  The first numbers on the model signify the total number of discs/bays available, the last two numbers are the series (we are in the 15 series now). So a 1515+ means 15 total bays (5+ two expansion packs).  A 415+ means 4 total bays (i.e no expansion).  but 12TB (useable) is a lot of storage, no matter how you cut it. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:19 pm »
Thanks for all the quick replies, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Sounds like the DS 415+ is the way.  I have about 5tb of music, and can't see going past 10tb.  It will be a dedicated to audio NAS.

I have the SSR but have put off the 1515 purchase while I recovered financially.  Ready to get a NAS and tablet now.  :D

rklein

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2015, 03:40 pm »

Ted is right about the DS415+ not being able to expand. (Actually, you can buy a DX513 expansion unit but with the DS415+ it is for "External Storage Only".  I was really thinking about the DS713+ but unless you're looking at expanding, there's not much of a contest between these two candidates: the 415+ is by far the better choice, with better hardware (faster & more-capable CPU, more RAM) and at least two extra years of official updates. The 713+ offers the potential of twice as much RAID 5 storage, but only if you buy the expansion unit and fill it up; without the expansion unit, the 415+ has triple the redundancy-protected storage of the 713+.

If you anticipate outgrowing the initial capacity in the next few years, the 1515+ gives you more options, since you can either replace the disks with larger ones or get a DX513 and add 5 more drives. And then another 5 with another DX513. With the 415+, your only option is replacing disks. Obviously, the 415 will never match the capacity of the 1515. 

However...The thing is, are you going to purchase the additional cabinets?  I chose to go with 4 4TB harddrives but with the current harddisk size, the DS415+ can handle 24TB and I expect it will handle 8TB and 10TB disks too in the future. So I'd rather buy new harddisks than investing in an expensive NAS which I won't fully utilize.

Regards,

Randy

lokie

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2015, 03:41 pm »
Regarding Synology: OK... Got it.

Another question regarding the NAS...  I have always put my external HD's , Routers/WiFi etc  on UPS power supplies.  Any comments on best practices w power supplies and NAS?

I am also a little curious as to the effects of family use of the NAS will have on SQ at the Big Rig? We're talking a multitude of phones, Ipads, computers, Itouch's, watching movies, playing games, looking at pictures, listening to music all simultaneously.

I'm thinking  that's where a quality switch will benefit.

I'm afraid I see a cottage industry of NAS and Network modders coming down the pike!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:00 pm »
I use a Thecus TopTower N8850 with 8 4TB disks.  I run RAID 50 and lose 8TB for parity and striping.  24TB available and I have no issue with multitasking other duties. 

Syrah

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2015, 09:34 pm »
I'm using the Synology 1513+, that I really like.  My only issues are that I can't quite figure out how to get it to automatically map itself on reboot - only no computer wiz.  And also there is some minor fan noise.

Also, I love to get in there are replace the power supply with a linear one.  But that looks a bit complicated.

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm »
I just added a Synology 1815+, 8 bays, 4tb drives as SHR. I added a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD (sine wave) UPS for the NAS, switch, router, VOIP phones, and modem and it all draws less than 100w. It was very easy to set up and so far it all works well together. I combine audio, home office, backup, archive, photos and portfolio stuff, personal cloud service, and remote management access, with a lot of local devices, and it has no effect that I can tell on audio performance. It's really not even breaking a sweat.

lokie

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:15 pm »
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD (sine wave) UPS

That looks like a nice inexpensive piece of kit. Great reviews on Amazon.

I assume it can be connected to the NAS (via usb?) to gracefully shut er down in a power outage.

lokie

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm »
Can you beat this price?

Saw this on Best Buys Ebay store:

WD RED 4TB Ebay listing. dates 3-15

Seems to be about the going price these days No idea about warranties from Best Buys (probably a meaningless 30 days) but at least WD will like the purchase documentation.

rklein

« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:25 pm »

I bought my WD Reds 4 TB drives from B&H Photo for $159 each.  The new Nasware should read 3.0 not 2.0(older model).

Randy

lokie

« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:35 pm »
The new Nasware should read 3.0 not 2.0(older model).

Good intel- Thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2015, 02:03 pm »
I just added a Synology 1815+, 8 bays, 4tb drives as SHR. I added a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD (sine wave) UPS for the NAS, switch, router, VOIP phones, and modem and it all draws less than 100w. It was very easy to set up and so far it all works well together. I combine audio, home office, backup, archive, photos and portfolio stuff, personal cloud service, and remote management access, with a lot of local devices, and it has no effect that I can tell on audio performance. It's really not even breaking a sweat.

Same here.

Been running this setup for a couple of years now.

Very reliable and stable.

George