SACD ripping using a PS3

Phil A

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #40 on: 6 May 2012, 02:41 pm »
Ted - thanks - much better.  I'll think about it (lots going on).  Almost snagged one on Craigslist locally a couple of weeks back but the seller wasn't terribly responsive.  If I was further along with digitizing things and finalizing which direction I'm going to head (that DAC review you've talked about would be nice too), the asking price would not really bother me all that much with a little give knowing I'd get a mint unit

InfernoSTi

« Reply #41 on: 9 May 2012, 04:06 am »
Chuck (aka emmodad, the father of HDMi de-embedding for SACD and who I referenced to begin that trend in my 2010 review) is ill and selling off his stuff to pay med bills. He has a loaded PS3 with fw 1.55 (very early) and selling here on Headfi, and on Steve Hoffman's site. He's asking a lot, but I'm sure open to offers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608907/medical-911-playstation-3-80gb-ceche01-sacd-system-software-ver-1-55-like-new

Thanks, Ted. 

Chuck is a great guy and I was happy to help out. 

Best,
John

NordicNorm

« Reply #42 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:33 pm »
I am able to buy a hacked PS3 3.55 kmeaw (CFW jailbroken).

My question is: will this hack affect the hack to rip SACDs?

cheers,
Norm

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #43 on: 9 Jul 2012, 01:52 pm »
I am able to buy a hacked PS3 3.55 kmeaw (CFW jailbroken).

My question is: will this hack affect the hack to rip SACDs?

cheers,
Norm

I would think worst case follow the install directions for a stock player that is already at 3.55
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/readme

PhilipAC

« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2012, 02:16 pm »
Hi Ted
I am a new member from the UK. I want to rip my SACDs to DSF files (about 300 of them). Is buying a 3.55 PS3 and getting your guide still the only way to do it? If so, how do I go about finding an appropriate PS3- preferably in the UK? How much do they generally cost? Do the files then play without any foibles?

Thanks in advance

Philip

PhilipAC

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2012, 05:27 pm »
Ted

A follow up, if I may. Provided the firmware has never been updated, can one tell a "pre 3.55" PS3 by its serial number?

Thanks

Philip

PhilipAC

« Reply #46 on: 9 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm »
Hi Ted

I have now acquired a PS3 with a SACD drive and 3.55 FW so I am all systems go to back up my SACDs. Could you send me your pack please?
I will try to PM you.

Thanks for all your efforts on this subject.

I will try to PM Tyson to let him know I won't need his efforts- I am sure he will be relieved!

Philip

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 9 Oct 2012, 11:35 pm »
PM sent.  Firmware is user-updatable and not associated with serial numbers, etc.  But only four models of PS3 (all older) are eligible, regardless.  i've posted this before, but here it is again:

PhilipAC

« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:22 pm »
A sad tale to tell, I'm afraid!

My PS3 seemed to be working fine at first. I was able to update to CFW3.55. Then I was able to load SACD-Ripper.pkg. But when I tried to rip a SACD the screen pixillated, and now the TV screen shows nothing- although the on/off light is green (not yellow). Also the controller light doesn't come on.

Any ideas?- or is it off to the repairer in London?

Philip

Pez

« Reply #49 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
:O

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #50 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:27 pm »
Same thing happened to me.  You will need to get the unit repaired.  There's a thread stickied in this forum that details the process and the vendor I used to repair it.  It's been going strong every since, about 500 sacd's so far after the repair.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:34 pm »
A sad tale to tell, I'm afraid!

My PS3 seemed to be working fine at first. I was able to update to CFW3.55. Then I was able to load SACD-Ripper.pkg. But when I tried to rip a SACD the screen pixillated, and now the TV screen shows nothing- although the on/off light is green (not yellow). Also the controller light doesn't come on.

Any ideas?- or is it off to the repairer in London?

Philip

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106312.0

Thanks to Tyson for finding these guys

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:10 pm »
I'm going to be sending mine off for repair as I belive it is the laser - won't read anything.  I'll probably talk to them Friday and try to get the unit off sometime next week.  Great find by Tyson.

PhilipAC

« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm »
I am now happily ripping SACDs!

I would like to say a huge and public thank you to all who have made this possible. I am thinking in particular of Mr Wicked, who I understand did
so much of the development work, ted_b who has obviously contributed hugely and helped me, and Ken B who patiently guided me through the
final stages of making everything work for me on a Mac platform.

Simply implementing all the steps- customising firmware, loading SACD Ripper, ripping ISO files and converting to DSF files- was pretty complicated,
so the achievements of the creators of all this in putting it all together is truly amazing!

Many thanks to you all.

Philip

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 24 Oct 2012, 08:31 pm »
    HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just chatted with Mr Wicked. And it seems there was some news this week in the PS3 scene that the keys are now available for 'lv0'. This means there will be firmware downgrades available in the very near future for all SACD-capable PS3s, so the firmware limit will be completely removed..Stay tuned for more details

Phil A

« Reply #55 on: 24 Oct 2012, 08:43 pm »
    HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just chatted with Mr Wicked. And it seems there was some news this week in the PS3 scene that the keys are now available for 'lv0'. This means there will be firmware downgrades available in the very near future for all SACD-capable PS3s, so the firmware limit will be completely removed..Stay tuned for more details

That would be great.  It took me almost a year and a half to find one with the right firmware (and apparently the laser went after ripping 10 or so discs so it's going off to EFX for repair next week).  I'd buy at least one more for back-up if that could be done.  Most people update the firmware since it won't play certain discs after a bit.  I had to do it to the non-SACD unit in my bedroom system a couple of weeks back as it would not play a couple of Blu-Rays.  I let it go after the first one and just watched on another system but after the second, I figured I might as well do it and be able to watch movies as that is what it is there for.

mickknights

« Reply #56 on: 30 Oct 2012, 07:15 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to SACD ripping.  After much searching I have managed to track down a PS3 with the correct firmware! So far I have managed to complete the steps of loading the Kmeaw 3.55 custom firmware and the SACD Ripper but I cannot locate the PS3 root keys in order to complete the process!  Ted_b I would really appreciate it if you could send me your pack which will hopefully solve my problem, and if someone could guide me through the process (and required programs) for ripping SACD's for backup purposes on a MAC I would be eternally grateful.  I would like to add my sincere thanks to Mr Wicked and all members of this forum whose hard work and perseverance have made this process a reality, I for on am extremely grateful.

mickknights

« Reply #57 on: 3 Nov 2012, 03:14 pm »
Hi, can any one point me in the direction of the PS3 root keys please, I have been searching for days on the internet and all links to a zip file of the root keys seem to be dead or removed.  This is the only thing I need now to be able to start backing up my SACD's! Can anyone help????

Many thanks,
Mick

mickknights

« Reply #58 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:56 pm »
Hi again, I now know that I need the PS3 root keys known as 'metldr key', but I still can not find a zip file for the aforementioned key.  Any help gratefully received.

Regards
Mick

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 4 Nov 2012, 06:01 pm »
I have NO idea why I didn't see these posts earlier.  I will send a PM.  All keys, etc.