Grado lab wood tonearm

rcag_ils

Grado lab wood tonearm
« on: 11 Jul 2010, 09:59 am »
If anyone could provide some info on a Grado lab wood tonearm, I'd appreciate it. I bought a NOS one that's never been mounted. It will go on my Rek-O-Kut L-34.

Thanks in advance

Wayner

Re: Grado lab wood tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:32 am »
Is this the one?

Wayner

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2010, 09:47 pm »
Can't see what it is, but probably not I bought it locally.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:57 am »
I'm asking if this is the model, not the exact one  :duh: , Grado has 2 different wood tonearms.

Wayner  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2010, 12:13 pm »
Wayner-the picture you posted doesn't seem to be showing, its like the link is broken or something.

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2010, 02:13 pm »
since I can't see the picture, so it's the Grado Laboratory series, not the micro control.

Jeff K

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:49 pm »
I had one on a Lab Series TT in the seventies. Though it was long since discontinued even then, Grado sent me a copy of the manual for free. Who knows, maybe they still can. It might be worth a shot.

The arm was massive. You'll have to go low compliance on the cart.

Wish I hadn't sold it.  :(

Jeff K

Better yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:52 pm »

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:52 pm »
I doesn't show? I see it, and got it from the internet. I'll try a different photo.

I know what I did, it was from the vinylengine and it's password protected!  :duh:

Sorry.

I'll try again.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:54 pm »
Can everyone see this one?

W

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:18 pm »
That one comes up Wayner.  I couldn't see the first one initially, so I copied the link from the properties of the missing pic, once I saw it on the other website I could see it here as well.

Best,
Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:43 pm »
Yep...looks good. I didn't know they made wood tonearms...learn something everyday.

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2010, 12:55 am »
Nope, mine doesn't look like this, the headshell looks almost identical. The pivot is different, and mine has a counterweight in the rear, and a tracking force weight on the side by the pivot. The one in the picture looks like NOS as well, very clean, it looks like a Micro.

I am looking for inputs like how this type of tonearm sound, is wood better, the history behind it, who designed it that sort of things. I've heard this type of Grado wood tonearms were hot items at one time.

Jeff K

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:41 am »
The one I referenced and provided a link to on V.E. is yours.

I used mine with an Empire 2000eIII at the time. It worked, but was probably too compliant. It came mounted on a Grado Lab Series tt which had two synchronous motors driving a heavy flywheel via a belt under the suspensionless plinth.

I think it was a sixties design. 1962 in fact. That's all I know.

Here's an AK thread and some pics.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222993