Bryston B60 to B60 SST-when?

Lancelot

Bryston B60 to B60 SST-when?
« on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:08 pm »
 I know this has been talked about but I can't find the info. I believe , at some date, the B60 became the B60 SST because of some internal modifications. Someone is selling one I'm interested in that has a date code of 0246 and calling it a B60 SST.

I'm not sure that the change was made that far back. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

rob80b

Re: Bryston B60 to B60 SST-when?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:30 pm »
I know this has been talked about but I can't find the info. I believe , at some date, the B60 became the B60 SST because of some internal modifications. Someone is selling one I'm interested in that has a date code of 0246 and calling it a B60 SST.

I'm not sure that the change was made that far back. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

The actual circuitry has not changed since 2001/2002 but the SST designation was only implemented a few years ago so yes the unit in question is the same as the SST.

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:14 am »
The best bet would be to get the serial number and call Bryston and ask Mike Pickett.

My B60 is dated 9932, which I believe was very close to the time they changed over.  There was something posted here that said it was an SST, which is what the seller and I went by.  Unfortunately it wasn't an SST.  I have since sent it to Bryston and had it upgraded for about $125.  I mention this because if it isn't an SST, I'd imagine that you could have it upgraded for about that price.  I'd get confirmation from Bryston regarding SST status, and confirmation on price of the upgrade if not.

James will probably chime in.

mattau

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:40 am »
If you are asking about my particular B60R, it was last week (Wednesday I believe).  Mike upgraded mine to SST for $150 CAD plus taxes.  You are responsible for shipping both ways.

Fens

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2011, 04:10 am »
Hi guys! What exactly then does the upgrade consist of? David

veloceleste

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:40 pm »
Here is your answer from previous posts   From James Tanner:
Hi There,

Here is the info for you on the history of the B60.

First B60   #600001
First B60 to use double sided boards – 601350 --- therefore SST Output devices and phono upgrade available.
First B60 to use new outputs – 601733

B60 'DAC' upgrades apply only to mainboard revision 1.6 (april 1999) or higher. There is no access to the selector switch connections on the rear panel and no way to attach the DAC board considering the mainboard layout.

January 2006 started C-Series B60.

james

I have two B60's, an early first series that is not upgradable, and a second that can be upgraded. I'm on the fence about selling the first to fund the upgrade and addition of a phono board, or just enjoy my two systems in two different rooms.  I've owned my original B60 for almost twelve years now.  That is the longest I've ever owned any one component.

mattau

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:05 am »
Guys, call and speak to Mike, mine is 600451 and I was told that the info you posted from James have changed.  A newer output device is available and can upgrade even the older B60.  I was told mine is probably the oldest B60 they have successfully upgraded.  They put in four new transistors from Motorola, two MJL21193 and two MJL21194.

Here is your answer from previous posts   From James Tanner:
Hi There,

Here is the info for you on the history of the B60.

First B60   #600001
First B60 to use double sided boards – 601350 --- therefore SST Output devices and phono upgrade available.
First B60 to use new outputs – 601733

B60 'DAC' upgrades apply only to mainboard revision 1.6 (april 1999) or higher. There is no access to the selector switch connections on the rear panel and no way to attach the DAC board considering the mainboard layout.

January 2006 started C-Series B60.

james

I have two B60's, an early first series that is not upgradable, and a second that can be upgraded. I'm on the fence about selling the first to fund the upgrade and addition of a phono board, or just enjoy my two systems in two different rooms.  I've owned my original B60 for almost twelve years now.  That is the longest I've ever owned any one component.