iPower 5V question

gaelen5

iPower 5V question
« on: 26 Mar 2018, 03:53 pm »
I recently got a 5V power supply to feed my Allo USBridge. I had high expectations, but curiously it doesn't sound any different? I figure something must be off. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My system consists of a Monster Power HTS 1600 which I've had for over a decade (don't laugh), the Allo, an Exogal Comet, a NeuroChrome Mod 86 kit amp, and GR Research speakers.

Also, the Allo has a 3 configurations: dual power supplies (bridge and sparky), 1 supply (sparky + jumper to bridge), or 1 supply (on bridge no jumper). I took out the jumper between the bridge and sparky, and noticed an improvement. For whatever reason, after removing the jumper power can be sent up to the Sparky from the bridge, but not the other way around. I figured this is best in theory. I notice no improvement with dual power supplies, so I thought that changing to an iPower would be quite noticeable, so I'm confused!

rikhav

Re: iPower 5V question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2018, 04:36 pm »
I am also thinking of using aloo usbridge as roon endpoint and had same doubts if ifi ipower will make considerable improvement

So yeah I would be aslo keen to know

@gaelen5
Very well done music room you have

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2018, 04:43 pm »
It is possible that the Comet has very good noise and jitter rejection and thus improving the source beyond a certain point yields little or no benefit.

Often improvements are more readily apparent if the system runs a while and the addition is removed and the original state restored.

Try to listen a few days with the iPower in the system and then a few days before your time to return runs out, remove it and listen for another day or two.

If there is nothing missing to your hearing, just return the product and enjoy  :thumb:

gaelen5

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2018, 04:02 pm »
Okay will do! Thanks for the reply. I got it used since they're hard to find in Canada, but I did not think about letting it burn in for a while. I will let it run for a few days and then come back to it.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2018, 06:22 am »
Awesome.  I'm looking forward to the results.

audiobomber

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:13 pm »
Also, the Allo has a 3 configurations: dual power supplies (bridge and sparky), 1 supply (sparky + jumper to bridge), or 1 supply (on bridge no jumper). I took out the jumper between the bridge and sparky, and noticed an improvement. For whatever reason, after removing the jumper power can be sent up to the Sparky from the bridge, but not the other way around. I figured this is best in theory. I notice no improvement with dual power supplies, so I thought that changing to an iPower would be quite noticeable, so I'm confused!

When you tried dual supplies, did you use the iPower for the Sparky or the DAC? The best configuration would be with the better supply to the DAC.