• Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Do you want a reference or not?
« on: 1 Mar 2018, 05:04 am »
Epico.

pawsman

Re: Do you want a reference or not?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm »
For years the Tempesta has been your best Monitor, it does everything well; has it been displaced now? That looks like the Accuton C51 mid and Scanspeak Beryllium tweeter; what's the mid/bass?

pawsman

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2018, 06:33 pm »
For years the Tempesta has been your best Monitor, it does everything well; has it been displaced now? That looks like the Accuton C51 mid and Scanspeak Beryllium tweeter; what's the mid/bass?

pawsman

The Tempesta MK2 is the current version and has the Accuton C51 midrange. The Epico is powered and has an active DSP / passive hybrid crossover. With the DSP amp it's possible to keep the signal all digital from the source to the amplifier output stage. There's also room correction EQ available. The woofer is a SB Acoustics ceramic cone driver in a sealed box alignment. The beryllium dome was chosen to provide an option for nearfield listening or possibly desktop use with a larger desk.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2018, 06:56 pm »
Oh ... the Epico is powered??

How much will these beauties cost?

Cheers,
Lester

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2018, 12:33 am »
Oh ... the Epico is powered??

How much will these beauties cost?

Cheers,
Lester

About $4,500/pr. including shipping.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2018, 01:56 am »
How do they sound?

Gptruncus

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2018, 05:07 pm »
Would digital go directly in? via USB or Tos? How would they connect to each other (both active?)
Very interesting
Greg

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2018, 08:11 pm »
How do they sound?

Sorry for my late reply. Obviously I will be somewhat biased. I will have some local demos and ask others to post their thoughts.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2018, 08:16 pm »
Would digital go directly in? via USB or Tos? How would they connect to each other (both active?)
Very interesting
Greg

Yes, but it is an AES/EBU digital input which is more common in the studio / pro audio world. I have been testing an interface which works well converting Toslink optical to AES/EBU. There's also a similar converter for coaxial digital to AES/EBU.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2018, 08:31 pm »
Looking foward to the reviews. Perhaps you can ask noaudiophile to review as well. His solid solid review of the Compattos convinced me. I’m listening to them now.

Cheers,
Lester

Mgivens

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2018, 12:00 am »
I Use the optical to aes converter which keeps the signal digital from my chromecast into the miniDSP plate amps.  I LOVE this setup. So easy, super clean and no gear anywhere.  A side benefit is that my parents who babysit my daughter sometimes can play their streaming music on my system which they love. 

I am beyond happy with the system Rick designed for me which is also a hybrid passive/active 3 way.  Obviously I haven’t heard this and it’s all different drivers, however my experience with rick would have me guessing it’s spectacular.

Just wanted chime in and say after having a gear rack for years and swapping DACs/amps all the time I’m finally happy with just this type of setup!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2018, 02:07 am »
... Obviously I will be somewhat biased. ...

Of course you will be; they're your speakers. This is your circle, though - bias away.  :wink:

How do they sound? 8)

Gptruncus

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2018, 07:56 pm »
Seems like great alternative to choosing/buying a bunch of separates for someone looking to upgrade/start
Would this be more or less plug and play from a digital source, ie easy for a beginner?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2018, 08:44 pm »
Seems like great alternative to choosing/buying a bunch of separates for someone looking to upgrade/start
Would this be more or less plug and play from a digital source, ie easy for a beginner?

Yes, not that difficult. The remote control volume is a little different though as it's ethernet based and runs on WiFi with a hardwired router. Remote control with the MiniDSP app adds four presets. These can be used for different voicings and / or system options (bass EQ, adding subwoofers, different room locations,etc).

You can also control volume via a smartphone when using Chrome Audio and omit the router.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2018, 09:41 pm »
My love affair with the larger powered speakers continues but one aggravation remains constant. Without a volume knob to control volume, and without a visual display to tell you what volume level you’re at, or what preset you’re on, you have to play with the remote buttons to find the right settings. Classical music is especially challenging with the very quiet passages suddenly changing to bombast. Without a visual display - as are on some digital amps or cd players - the unexpected bombast can easily rattle the windows. But ... if I knew that I was on setting 5, e.g., I wouldn’t worry that I had accidentally turned it up to 11. (The visual display would have to be on the remote, I guess.)

Also, I’m assuming that there are amps in both monitors and thus, power cords for both monitors.

Will you be brining the Epicos to the upcoming NC Audiophile meeting?

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2018, 01:48 am »

You're more than welcome to, Rick. :)

Congrats on the new design - beautiful!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2018, 07:28 pm »
My love affair with the larger powered speakers continues but one aggravation remains constant. Without a volume knob to control volume, and without a visual display to tell you what volume level you’re at, or what preset you’re on, you have to play with the remote buttons to find the right settings. Classical music is especially challenging with the very quiet passages suddenly changing to bombast. Without a visual display - as are on some digital amps or cd players - the unexpected bombast can easily rattle the windows. But ... if I knew that I was on setting 5, e.g., I wouldn’t worry that I had accidentally turned it up to 11. (The visual display would have to be on the remote, I guess.)

Also, I’m assuming that there are amps in both monitors and thus, power cords for both monitors.

Not this meeting as I already had something scheduled.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2018, 07:29 pm »
You're more than welcome to, Rick. :)

Congrats on the new design - beautiful!

Wish I could be there but I already had something else on my schedule. Maybe the next meeting?

dburna

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2018, 02:34 am »
Rick, would you explain a couple things about the Epico design? My questions are:

1. What is the amplification you use for this? 250Wx2, yes, but Class AB? Class D?
2. What are the entire digital inputs for this amp? Analog inputs? XLR in?
3. No brittle sound from the ceramic drivers? Most implementations of same seem a bit etched to me, but I assume that is more the design than the driver technology.

Thanks, -dGB

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2018, 03:03 am »
Rick, would you explain a couple things about the Epico design? My questions are:

1. What is the amplification you use for this? 250Wx2, yes, but Class AB? Class D?
2. What are the entire digital inputs for this amp? Analog inputs? XLR in?
3. No brittle sound from the ceramic drivers? Most implementations of same seem a bit etched to me, but I assume that is more the design than the driver technology.

Thanks, -dGB

Class D ICE amps with 250 watts x 2 (4 ohm load). AES/EBU digital inputs. I have an optical to AES/EBU converter box. The analog inputs are RCA or XLR. No brittle sound - you may ask the AC guys who heard them in the Carolina Audiophiles regional thread. They all will give you an honest opinion.