AC iPurifier Tour

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: AC iPurifier Tour
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm »
  After reading the info on site this device appears to be a no-brainer. Being an iFi product how could one go wrong. Buy many. Not a dealer.

charles

TJHUB

« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:58 pm »
  After reading the info on site this device appears to be a no-brainer. Being an iFi product how could one go wrong. Buy many. Not a dealer.

charles

I think I’m missing something.  Can you explain this statement?

SFDude

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:03 pm »
OzarkTom, can you tell me if you plugged two of these into one strip vs. one and see if there were compounded improvements? The configurations suggest you can even isolate different pieces of equipment by were you are inserting in a power strip (ie. separating digital equipment from non-digital, etc).

Curious to see what different people's configurations are on using these!

Thanks.

-dave

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:45 pm »
OzarkTom, can you tell me if you plugged two of these into one strip vs. one and see if there were compounded improvements? The configurations suggest you can even isolate different pieces of equipment by were you are inserting in a power strip (ie. separating digital equipment from non-digital, etc).

Curious to see what different people's configurations are on using these!

Thanks.

-dave

Dave, one in  the wall, one in the power strip. I will try two in the power strip when my order gets here. I might buy a third one but I doubt if the Ican needs one.

deadhead

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm »
I have some transformer hum I believe is coming from noise in the line.  Do you think this will help?

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2018, 12:07 am »
I have some transformer hum I believe is coming from noise in the line.  Do you think this will help?

No answer on this one, IFI Tyler?

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2018, 05:12 am »
No answer on this one, IFI Tyler?

Sorry, I missed this one.  I think the AC iPurifier will help.  deadhead, interested in jumping in on the tour?

mikeeastman

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2018, 12:13 am »
Thanks Tyler for the chance to try out the iFi Purifiers.

First off my situation is different as I live off the grid. I have two dedicated circuits for my system, wired direct to my inverter with upgraded breakers in the sub panel, as best as I can tell I have pretty clean power.

My system is dead quiet, with a blank track playing and vol set to max and with my ear on the tweeter dead quiet.

I’ve tied several devices over the last couple of years to clean up power and they all had no effect. The Purifiers were no different, I tried them in all the suggested places and could hear no difference in my system.

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2018, 01:54 am »
As it seems you already have very clean power to begin with, I would be very surprised or concerned if you DID notice a perceivable difference. Maybe I don't understand your goal or perhaps you're expecting something from these products that they cannot provide? Appreciate the test and feedback nonetheless. :thumb:

mikeeastman

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2018, 02:42 am »
Just trying to verify that I there isn't something I don't know about my power that I might be able to improve. I find it a little hard to believe that my inverters power can't be improved upon, I just don't know how or where to look.

I informed Tyler about my situation first and we both though, it's my dime so why not give it a shot.

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2018, 03:09 am »
Ah. OK. The added context definitely helps make sense of your earlier review. Thanks!

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2018, 03:15 am »
Always worth a shot  Wink2

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 12 Apr 2018, 02:06 am »
I'm interested.  I have several High Fidelity MC-0.5 devices I can compare to.

Hi Ben,

Would you like to try the two AC iPurifiers next? They are ready to ship.

-Tyler

genjamon

« Reply #33 on: 12 Apr 2018, 03:51 am »
Sure Tyler. Now is the time for me. Any longer, and I might not be able to participate after all due to new child arriving.

Magnatest

« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2018, 01:36 pm »

Tyler,

Thank you for the opportunity to audition the iFi AC iPurifers. I wouldn’t have thought about devices such as this, without the tour.

My system is not on a dedicated circuit. I utilize 6 outlets spread along the wall and had to move power cables around to make outlets
available for the AC iPurifiers. I have a Belkin outlet strip that I use to power non-music peripherals that are plugged into the same circuit.

I never thought that I had noisy power and that my system sounds really good, but I’m always willing to try something for an improvement.
I plugged 1 of the iPurifiers into the outlet closest to the breaker box and didn’t listen for a day. After listening for a while, I settled on 2 songs
that I thought sounded different and better; "Ode to Billy Joe” by Patricia Barber and “You Can Bring Me Flowers” by Ray LaMontagne. I used
these as my reference songs.

"Ode to Billy Joe” – I was really impressed with the improvement in clarity of the upright bass; tighter and cleaner.  The soundstage was
improved with Patricia’s vocals having a better sense of presence. The snapping of the fingers became more cohesive and their placement
moved slightly out and closer to me.

“You Can Bring Me Flowers”  – I’ve always liked this song. Instrument separation was improved with better clarity. Ray’s vocals improved
similar to Patricia’s.

I continued listening for over a week and occasionally came back to my 2 reference songs. During that time, I moved the iPurifier to the
Belkin power strip. I couldn’t tell whether it was plugged in or not. It immediately went back to the outlet where I had it. I added the second
iPurifier  by pugging it in an outlet at the far end of the wall. So, I had an iPurifier at the beginning of the power chain and one at the end.
Adding the second iPurifier did not make nearly as much a difference as adding the 1st, but everything that I sensed with the 1st one was
slightly better.

As with many things audio, changes that seem to make an initial improvement becomes “normal”. It’s not until the change is reversed that
the change is appreciated again. As soon as I removed the iPurifiers and listened, I decided I needed them. I ordered 2 of them and have
them installed. For the price, these are a must for my system.

System:
Source -   CAT -> iFi iPurifier2 -> XMOS 192kHz USB to SPDIF converter  -> Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus

Source Power Supply -   HDPLEX 100W linear power supply
( The variable output powers both the CAT hard drive and the XMOS converter )

Preamp -   Odyssey Candela

Amplifiers -   Odyssey Khartago monoamps

Speakers -   Salk Soundscape 8’s.

iFi Vicky

• Facilitator
  • Riding the audio wave
    • iFi audio
« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:12 pm »
Hey there - thanks for your review. Glad you saw the improvement the AC iPurifier makes in a system. True what you say about noticing the difference when you take them out - as we say the difference is there to be heard! Thanks again.  :D

liffy99

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2018, 10:53 am »
Only just seen this about the ‘tour’. Is it too late to be ibcluded ?
I wouldn’t say I have noticed specific noise issues with my supply other than a ) we often get short term power cuts lasting a few seconds here in rural Somerset and b) my system always sounds better late in the evening.
All my sources and amplification are in the digital domain with a combination of SMPS and traditional power supplies. Kit is fed from two 7 way power strips (4 vacant sockets).

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2018, 01:05 pm »
Sorry about being two months late.
Most transformer hum is caused by:
a] high AC line voltage
b] loose mechanical parts in or near the transformer
c] low frequency asymmetry in the AC power current waveform

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2018, 06:18 pm »
Only just seen this about the ‘tour’. Is it too late to be ibcluded ?
I wouldn’t say I have noticed specific noise issues with my supply other than a ) we often get short term power cuts lasting a few seconds here in rural Somerset and b) my system always sounds better late in the evening.
All my sources and amplification are in the digital domain with a combination of SMPS and traditional power supplies. Kit is fed from two 7 way power strips (4 vacant sockets).

If your system sounds better in the evening, these would be worth trying.

Mike B.

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2018, 04:26 pm »
I have finished my evaluation of the two AC iPurifiers. I have several systems in my home. The big rig has dedicated circuits and lots of AC filtering, so I chose two other locations with little or no filtering.
I have a modest home theater with a 65" 4K screen, one year old Sony 7.2 channel receiver, Oppo 203 blu-ray player, and a Pioneer Elite tuner capable of accessing internet radio stations. I noticed a significant improvement here. Sound was more dynamic with a bit more definition. Picture was noticeably improved. Sharper images and better sound.
I also tried one unit on a 50" plasma 1080p set with a 5.1 channel receiver. The same improvements were noted. I would call these units a great bang for the buck. I am going to purchase two of the units.
Thanks to the iFi team for putting on this tour.