One of my Vader Maggies (may have) Died!!!!!!

ajzepp

Re: One of my Vader Maggies (may have) Died!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2018, 08:33 am »
Now comes the important question why did the tweeter die and what kind of shape is the other one in.
Were any changes made to the speaker which altered it away from the stock configuration. To put it another way, were there any preexisting conditions such as necrosis of the ribbon, which would predispose them to a massive tweeter infarction requiring a complete resection of the tweeter and subsequent transplant.
Scotty

From what Magnepan told me, they said the tweeters do have a tendency to blow, but beyond that I honestly have no idea. I inspected the ribbon before I sent it back to Magnepan (part of the deal they make with you when they sell you a replacement for only $150), so when I get time I'll check and see if maybe they have any feedback on what happened. I'll update the forum if they have a diagnosis. They'll be ten years old next year, but I hope to have them for years to come...

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2018, 08:36 am »
I know nothing about these speakers.  In other speakers, it is customary to make sure both speakers are matched.  Some speakers have to replaced in pairs.

As much as I'd love to upgrade to 3.7s, just not an option...now that Im a home owner - and especially since I just got news this week that Im facing a $10k bill to replace the a/c unit - I'll probably never invest anywhere close to $5k into speakers again, as I did when I bought the 3.6 in 2009. Things are sounding pretty darn good at the moment, though, and hopefully these big baddies last many years to come.

josh358

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2018, 05:17 am »
I know nothing about these speakers.  In other speakers, it is customary to make sure both speakers are matched.  Some speakers have to replaced in pairs.
I don't think that's an issue with the ribbons because they're so simple in construction -- just thin foil between two magnets -- no suspension and no tension. So since the foil is the same thickness and is attached in the same places, they should sound the same.

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2018, 05:19 am »
Now comes the important question why did the tweeter die and what kind of shape is the other one in.
Were any changes made to the speaker which altered it away from the stock configuration. To put it another way, were there any preexisting conditions such as necrosis of the ribbon, which would predispose them to a massive tweeter infarction requiring a complete resection of the tweeter and subsequent transplant.
Scotty
What I've heard from Magnepan is that if you listen at normal levels, they'll last indefinitely, but if you push them to natural levels (which most audiophiles don't usually do) they will eventually fail from metal fatigue.