For the Love of Music - How did you fall in love?

TF1216

• Facilitator
For the Love of Music - How did you fall in love?
« on: 15 Dec 2017, 05:43 pm »
A good friend has spent the last two years steering me through an education in classical music.  He is quite the mentor having been a concert pianist as well as a piano teacher to college students here in the midwest.  Classical is one genre of music I have always wanted to fall in love with but never quite figured out how. He shared with me pages from the book, "For The Love of Music" by Michael Steinberg, that is a must read for someone in my position looking to discover new music.  I am excited to read more from the book and put into practice what Mr. Steinberg has written.  First up for me will be performances of Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 2 & 5 next month. 

Any guys or gals out there have stories to share on a musical journey of your own? 

richidoo

Re: For the Love of Music - How did you fall in love?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:35 am »
This one is an accessible, exciting, and addictive recording for classical noobs. Got me into classical music at age 38.

This inspired many young musicians to play jazz professionally. One of the most important and accessible jazz recordings. Got me started listening to jazz when I was 8.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2017, 05:44 am »
Hi there,
Falling back in with music at the mo. I had a brief run in with Jazz in my early thirties and even made it to Ronnie Scotts in London and had some great nights at a club called The Vortex. Still got some faves from back then, Miles being the obvious choice. Would love to get more educated on modern Jazz - anyone out there willing to let me know what I should be listening to?
Cheers
 :)

Here's the place to go.   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=182.0

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2017, 08:10 pm »
Good stuff guys!

Here is a ride some might enjoy to take:  Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXy50exHjes

How about something far out there for many of us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5sEvC0SpY

hdspeakerman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2017, 08:36 pm »
I met a girl in high school whose dad had a pair of AR3 speakers, and AR turntable with a V15 cartridge and Fisher solid state amplifier.  He also had a Sony reel to reel tape deck.  I had never heard music like that before.  Her dad taught me a lot about music and equipment.  He later became my father in law and we still have his AR3s.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2017, 08:49 pm »
I met a girl in high school whose dad had a pair of AR3 speakers, and AR turntable with a V15 cartridge and Fisher solid state amplifier.  He also had a Sony reel to reel tape deck.  I had never heard music like that before.  Her dad taught me a lot about music and equipment.  He later became my father in law and we still have his AR3s.

Nominated for best story of 2017!