The Monolith open baffle planar speakers

HAL

Re: The Monolith open baffle planar speakers
« Reply #80 on: 7 Feb 2018, 02:49 pm »
The original pair of 3x8" H-Frames Ruben I built for the servo subs for this project are now on the way to their new owner.  Basically the kit of all the parts without the wiring or connectors. 

No need for them with the 2x12's. 

Hope he enjoys building them up for use!

HAL

« Reply #81 on: 21 Feb 2018, 02:04 pm »
A new version of the baffle for the Neo3 and Neo 10 planars is on the way for testing and listening.   This will have some new ideas incorporated in the design.  Will be updating the dspMusikLCD crossover design to work with this baffle and new GR Neo3 tweeters.

Also have a new set of HX300-12OB amp box flat packs coming as well for the 2x12 servo subs.  Updated boxes with cooling vents for the amp.

These should be interesting!

HAL

« Reply #82 on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:15 pm »
Since folks are asking in the servo sub thread how the 2x12 H-Frames sound, the thing that I am waiting for are the new flat pack planar baffles. 

These are being made by captainhemo, he sent some pictures of the new test baffle flat packs being shipped.  There are a few changes that are in work, but these are close.  Not shown is the small side wing next to the BG Neo10.

Also have a pair of HX300-12OB plate amp flat pack cabinets coming as well.   

emailtim

« Reply #83 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:27 am »

Hal,

Please excuse the dumb question.  What is the purpose of the single baffle/wing that is behind the planar driver ?

TIA

HAL

« Reply #84 on: 26 Feb 2018, 12:39 pm »
It is an open baffle speaker, so the wing acts to extend the response of the BG Neo10 driver down to the 200Hz acoustic point for crossover. 

If you look at the GR-Research NX-Otica and NX-treme speakers the MTM section uses this same design idea that Danny has been discussing.

HAL

« Reply #85 on: 26 Feb 2018, 01:06 pm »
Got feedback the one and only pair of 3x8" servo sub prototypes with the Rythmik HX300-8OB amps are built and up and running.  He is starting the setup process with his speakers.

Glad to see they are finally done and in use.

HAL

« Reply #86 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:57 pm »
Extra pair of GR Neo3 planar tweeters on order from Danny.   

That will make this a bit easier for some comparisons.

emailtim

« Reply #87 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:26 am »
It is an open baffle speaker, so the wing acts to extend the response of the BG Neo10 driver down to the 200Hz acoustic point for crossover. 

If you look at the GR-Research NX-Otica and NX-treme speakers the MTM section uses this same design idea that Danny has been discussing.

I remember years ago people were experimenting with "wings" on Magnepan woofer-sides to try to further separate the front and back waves to generate more bass output (or minimize the cancellations).

HAL

« Reply #88 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:30 am »
The measurements show it works in this case, so will be part of The Monoliths design and also part of The Megaliths design.

Captainhemo

« Reply #89 on: 3 Mar 2018, 09:31 pm »
Yes,   Danny  has it  figured out, using it in  a number of different  designs and all are great  :thumb:

jay

HAL

« Reply #90 on: 3 Mar 2018, 10:55 pm »
A new pair of GR Neo3 tweeters arrived from Danny today.     :D

Once the new baffle flat packs arrive, will be time for glue-up, install and testing with the 2x12 servo subs. 

Got my fingers crossed with the weather the baffles might be here next week.

JakeJ

« Reply #91 on: 5 Mar 2018, 02:10 am »
Danny provide the black yarn?  :lol:

HAL

« Reply #92 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:09 am »
Yes.  Comes with the GR Neo3's for the mod.

HAL

« Reply #93 on: 23 Mar 2018, 06:11 pm »
New HX300 servo amp boxes are here from Jay.   Time for some gluing.

HAL

« Reply #94 on: 24 Mar 2018, 09:05 pm »
First HX300 amp box glued and clamped to dry.   Last one to build after this one sets.

jimbones

« Reply #95 on: 24 Mar 2018, 09:21 pm »
What is the higher end amp, the A370 or the HX300/500? I am driving 2 of Dannys 12s

Captainhemo

« Reply #96 on: 24 Mar 2018, 10:24 pm »
The  A370 PEQ has more  adjustability and of course, the PEQ.  Also has more power.... if using in Ht in conjunction with the 8 ohm SW12's,  they can be  over driven.   Music is not an issue nor  is the 16 ohm version in either  application (music/HT)

jay

HAL

« Reply #97 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:00 am »
Here are the flat pack parts for an HX300 servo amp box. Nicely cut and easy to glue with the biscuits.

Takes less than 10 minutes for me to glue and clamp. Then let dry overnight and ready to apply a finish.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #98 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:13 am »
Looks great, Rich!

Cheers,
Pete

jimbones

« Reply #99 on: 25 Mar 2018, 12:22 am »
The  A370 PEQ has more  adjustability and of course, the PEQ.  Also has more power.... if using in Ht in conjunction with the 8 ohm SW12's,  they can be  over driven.   Music is not an issue nor  is the 16 ohm version in either  application (music/HT)

jay

OK so it looks like I have the right amp, the only thing is I need a slightly higher XO freq like on the HX. I am using it strictly for music.