BDP FIRMWARE UPDATE

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
Re: BDP FIRMWARE UPDATE
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:19 pm »
Can I check if there's was a time limit on upgrading from Loony Loon to Manic Moose ?

I've not been able to upgrade until now, but over the passed few days I've been following the instructions at
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/BDP%20Manic%20Moose%20Update.pdf
but after 5 attempts at different times of day it won't get any further than...
Checking Firmware Integrity
Upgrade Failed:initrd, 2

I have a BDP-1 (number 35) and my main pc is Windows 10.

I also tried to upgrade the firmware with a copy of the BIN on a usb stick, in case it was some kind of network issue, but that didn't work either (it gave no error and appeared to be working but when it got to the end of the process and it was still on Loony Loon).

Ian

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:29 pm »
how much time passes between seeing web update started (clicking the update button) and seeing the message "Upgrade Failed:initrd, 2".

Cheers,
Chris

wilsonij

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:46 pm »
Hi Chris

It varies, but I just tried it again and it was less than 10 seconds...

...which made me wonder if whatever it seemed to be trying to connect to/download isn't available anymore.

Ian

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2018, 08:59 pm »
I've tested the files and they appear to be fine, i suspect based on the age of the unit that something is up with either the CF Card (inside the unit, contains the firmware); either file system corruption (an issue with the early builds of the firmware) or just the age of the CF Card.  You may wish to consider that "if something goes wrong" instructions at the bottom of the PDF.

Chris

wilsonij

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:01 am »
Ok, thanks Chris

I like to have a contingency, so can I check the process required should it not work...

First, can I burn MM to any CF card or does it need to be the one that came with the BDP ?

Assuming any card will do, if it were to fail, will putting the original card with LL on it and then run an update from it then return the firmware to LL ?

Assuming I have to use the original CF card, is there a copy of an LL image somewhere, or do I need to create one using the CF card before I do anything else ?

Cheers -

Ian

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 15 Jan 2018, 03:17 pm »
Ok, thanks Chris

I like to have a contingency, so can I check the process required should it not work...

First, can I burn MM to any CF card or does it need to be the one that came with the BDP ?

Assuming any card will do, if it were to fail, will putting the original card with LL on it and then run an update from it then return the firmware to LL ?

Assuming I have to use the original CF card, is there a copy of an LL image somewhere, or do I need to create one using the CF card before I do anything else ?

Cheers -

Ian

Any 4-8GB CF Card should work perfectly fine.  Putting the original card back in will allow the unit to continue to work.  You can use the winimager program to create a backup of your existing cf card.  The only thing i'd say to be worried about is static, but simple touching the system while it plugged into power should discharge you.

Chris

wilsonij

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2018, 10:00 am »
Chris

Just to let you know that the burning of a new CF and replacement in my BDP-1 went smoothly and early impressions of Manic Moose are great.

It took two hours to build the database (40,000 tracks, every album having a cover) but browsing is fine (using an iPad Pro) and playback faultless so far...

One thing that I can't do yet that I liked in MPAD (sadly had to drop recently as its not iOS11 compatible), was to type things in the search which worked like a filter, for example typing "2017" would reduce the album covers presented to just those from that year. If there's a way of doing that, do let me know !

Nice work again on the MM interface...

...my next job is to try to get BBC radio working  :D

Ian