Aurora

monte

Aurora
« on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:08 pm »
Are there any aurora's in the shop that haven't been spoken for?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Aurora
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:17 pm »
I believe Ed has a pair of cabinets almost ready for paint.  But the issue is the woofer no longer being in production.  We are working at this time to name a replacement for the standard model.  We have used the Audiotechnology Flex 8 but it is a very pricey upgrade although in my opinion, it's worth every penny.  The standard C-Quenze would also likely work since the parameters are nearly identical, but again, it's more expensive than the Vifa NE225-4 in the original Aurora.

The new cabinet that Ed is working on can be easily modified to accommodate the new Acoustic Elegance TD8S which requires about 50% more cabinet volume than the Aurora currently offers.  The look is different, but it's still going to be stunning.

monte

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:27 pm »
The look of that speaker is just flat out cool. Let us know when a replacement is found

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2016, 11:12 pm »
The look of that speaker is just flat out cool. Let us know when a replacement is found

Thanks for the compliment.  It is a cool looking speaker.

Like I said, we have a replacement in the C-Quenze from Audio Technology for a premium price.  Even the Acoustic Elegance model is more expensive than the original, but not quite as high as the Audio Tech but that one is still under review and the cabinet will be larger and look different.

Here's a pic of the prototype in process.

And a shot of the cabinet cross section, top down or bottom up.  You can see the Aurora in that shape.

EdRo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2017, 02:44 am »
An update on my Aurora...I've designed a new stand. It has a similar shape to the old design, but the x-o will be mounted in the column, not in a plinth/box. Not only will this save time by not having another box to build, I think that being able to see the crossover by peeking around the back of the stand will be a cool touch.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2017, 04:01 am by EdRo »

Chu Gai

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:37 pm »
An update on my Aurora...I've designed a new stand. It has a similar shape to the old design, but the x-o will be mounted in the column, not in a plinth/box. Not only will this save time by not having another box to build, I think that being able to see the crossover by peeking around the back of the stand will be a cool touch.
Good idea. Will it be open to the environment or covered with a transparent material?

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:07 am »
Hey Chu!!! I think it could use a transparent cover. I like the idea of being able to see the pricey x-o components.