Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Norton

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2340 on: 29 Dec 2017, 08:04 am »
Does reverting to the current stable release not help?

I'm not with the machine at the moment but will try again next week and allow Bryston DB time to rebuild.  I did revert back to stable release but when I saw the "diamond" characters in type view I  presumed it was part of same problem and didn't pursue.  In terms if settings, can you confirm  what the 2 "scraper" options do and whether I should enable or not?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2341 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:49 pm »
The first turns on scraping and the scraping allows the bdp to go online and grab data about artists and albums within your database, normally this is done as you browse your library.  The auto scraper grabs artist info for each artist after the bryston db is built, you should see additional messages appear after the bryston db message is built.  I’ve also added additional messages while the bdp is rendering views for the column on the right of the default view.

Norton

« Reply #2342 on: 29 Dec 2017, 04:45 pm »
Thanks, noting that my BDP1 freezes  quite a bit these days (usually on back function)  would it be wisest  to disable the scraper options, or indeed simply disable the Bryston DB completely?  I get the sense that MM has moved so far from what the BDP1 was originally conceived to do as to impact upon performance, hence my suggestion of making legacy FW available (as I recall, my BDP worked fine with  the February 2017 stable build, for example)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2343 on: 30 Dec 2017, 12:12 am »
Thanks, noting that my BDP1 freezes  quite a bit these days (usually on back function)  would it be wisest  to disable the scraper options, or indeed simply disable the Bryston DB completely?  I get the sense that MM has moved so far from what the BDP1 was originally conceived to do as to impact upon performance, hence my suggestion of making legacy FW available (as I recall, my BDP worked fine with  the February 2017 stable build, for example)

I’m going to fire up my bdp-1 again sometime next week and test it out, but this weeks beta also includes some additional feedback that may help to verify if the bdp is locking up or perhaps just busy rendering a view

Krutsch

« Reply #2344 on: 30 Dec 2017, 06:00 pm »
S2.37 2017-12-28
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

This BETA is a sweet improvement for folder browsing. I have a thumb.jpg (Artists) and a folder.jpg (Genre & Album) and these all show up beautifully. I really like this look.

After updating, I had to recopy my playlists over (it looks like the update really wiped all of my settings, et al., but that's OK - you might want to warn folks before this build goes into a stable release). But once I did that, playlists worked fine.

The only thing I am noticing on Media View, when browsing by Genre or Album Artist, is that you are separating albums by ARTIST instead of ALBUM ARTIST, which I have selected in the settings. This results in LOTS of duplicate albums.

One last item: in Artist View, I can not load the Artist 'Til Tuesday (note the leading single quote).

Norton

« Reply #2345 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:52 pm »
I’m going to fire up my bdp-1 again sometime next week and test it out, but this weeks beta also includes some additional feedback that may help to verify if the bdp is locking up or perhaps just busy rendering a view

Thanks, I'm back with my BDP1 now, have reverted to latest stable build and all seems fine now.

BigGeek

« Reply #2346 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:15 pm »
S2.37 2017-12-28

This BETA is a sweet improvement for folder browsing. I have a thumb.jpg (Artists) and a folder.jpg (Genre & Album) and these all show up beautifully. I really like this look.

After updating, I had to recopy my playlists over (it looks like the update really wiped all of my settings, et al., but that's OK - you might want to warn folks before this build goes into a stable release). But once I did that, playlists worked fine.

I also like seeing my artist.jpg images showing up in the artist view. It was working great. However for some reason they have reverted back to the first album cover alphabetically for each artist (folder.jpg), and I can no longer get the artist.jpg to show up.

I also saw all of my playlists wiped with the Dec. 28 update.

Would it be possible to have the same kind of alphabet pick list down the side of the default view (similar to the optional one in the artist view)? It is much easier to use than the pulldown that currently exists, and is more consistent UI.

Somehow you have to get rid of the double scrolls that appear on the right side of the screen in the default view. That is really rough to use.

Question... should the dashboard v2 be working these days? I tried it and it seems to show only a subset of my covers. Is there a limit (like the first 500 maybe?) to the number of covers it will show?

Slowly getting better.

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2347 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:21 am »
Thanks, I'm back with my BDP1 now, have reverted to latest stable build and all seems fine now.

What about the most recent testing build?    I added a bunch of feedback.

Norton

« Reply #2348 on: 4 Jan 2018, 11:21 pm »
What about the most recent testing build?    I added a bunch of feedback.

Funnily enough, I tried it just now with the latest beta and it seemed to work fine - not hanging, "folders" in type view look normal and can be added whole to playlist etc.

Thanks

Marius

« Reply #2349 on: 8 Jan 2018, 08:13 am »

O yes, this most certainly is very nice!
Havent been playing much lately, and this is a very encouraging comeback. Thanks Chris, awesome.
Cheers,
Marius

Robert D

« Reply #2350 on: 8 Jan 2018, 09:59 pm »
Happy New Year All All the very Best for 2018

Chris, will this Beta be ready for Down Load

As a Keeper not a Beta

Let me know
Regards Robert

Krutsch

« Reply #2351 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:18 am »
Manic Moose background image loading is causing stuttering playback in Media View.

I am using:

S2.37 2018-01-18

I have a playlist that mixes 192/24 and 44.1/16 tracks from the Eagles. I can playback these tracks, without issue, from my thumb drives using Soundirok. These thumb drives test out at roughly 14 MB/sec on my BDP-1.

However, with Manic Moose being used for playback, the 192/24 tracks exhibit stuttering during playback while Manic Moose is loading the background image. As soon as that image is loaded and displayed, the stuttering stops and playback continues normally.

The image to which I refer is NOT the album cover, it's something you are pulling from a web source and displaying (a little blurred / expanded) BEHIND the album cover.

Maybe in the interests of best sound quality, don't be pulling stuff down from the Internet during local music playback.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2352 on: 21 Jan 2018, 11:52 am »
Hi Krutsch

I am using the new software as well and no issues with stuttering although not loading the background might be a better choice or maybe an option?

james

Krutsch

« Reply #2353 on: 21 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm »
Hi Krutsch

I am using the new software as well and no issues with stuttering although not loading the background might be a better choice or maybe an option?

james

On a BDP-1 with 192/24 files?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2354 on: 21 Jan 2018, 11:26 pm »
On a BDP-1 with 192/24 files?

Ah - sorry no I am using the BDA3.

BigGeek

« Reply #2355 on: 28 Jan 2018, 12:52 am »
Having trouble with mybryston.com lately.
Used to always work perfectly with my bdp-1. Got a bdp-2 and removed the bdp-1. Was working beautifully for a while with the bdp-2. Then my ip changed for the player in my network (using the bdp dongle) when i rebooted my router and mybryston.com now shows the bdp-1 and the bdp-2 (with the old ip address) as unavailable. No bdp-2 with the new address. I have even rebooted my router again, which causes yet another ip change with same mybryston.com result. No bdp-2 with new address.

Any ideas?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2356 on: 28 Jan 2018, 03:55 am »
I've no idea how to fix this (never used mybryston.com with my equipment), BUT I'd suggest you go into your router and use the settings to reserve the same IP address to your bryston equipment all the time. In the future, that'll help avoid problems. And doing it right now shouldn't impede your ability to fix the current issue.

BigGeek

« Reply #2357 on: 28 Jan 2018, 02:12 pm »
Thanks for the response.

I know that I can use a static IP address. I prefer DHCP for a number of reasons.

This always worked before. That is what I like about mybryston.com. It has been an unfailing way to get to my player, no matter what ip the router gave it. Not this time though. It seems stuck on the old IP address.

Any chance it has to do with a change of device name? I may have done that along the way.

Cheers

artur9

« Reply #2358 on: 28 Jan 2018, 03:50 pm »
I know that I can use a static IP address. I prefer DHCP for a number of reasons.

I set a "static" IP via my DHCP server based on my BDP-1's MAC address.  Is that no good for you?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2359 on: 29 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm »
Thanks for the response.

This always worked before. That is what I like about mybryston.com. It has been an unfailing way to get to my player, no matter what ip the router gave it. Not this time though. It seems stuck on the old IP address.

Any chance it has to do with a change of device name? I may have done that along the way.

Cheers

If you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id i can implement a temporary fix until our next firmware update which should fix this.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf (page 24)

Chris