Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #60 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:41 pm »

Bryson Headphone Amplifier

OOPS! No wonder why that looked familiar.  :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #61 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:52 pm »
OOPS! No wonder why that looked familiar.  :duh:

At my age it's OK to do that stuff.  I'm waiting for Bryston to make a BOG-1 (old guy) where I put a thumb drive in and it contains the information I need to make it through the day

BrystonFan

« Reply #62 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:07 am »
Phil A,
It's all that lugging of equipment you do between the many systems you have!  :lol:
I can barely budge my 9BSST and 4BSST2 from the cabinets when I do my major annual disconnect cleaning - I can't imagine moving it from floor to floor! :icon_lol:

Phil A

« Reply #63 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:13 am »
Phil A,
It's all that lugging of equipment you do between the many systems you have!  :lol:
I can barely budge my 9BSST and 4BSST2 from the cabinets when I do my major annual disconnect cleaning - I can't imagine moving it from floor to floor! :icon_lol:

Those are light weights compared to some of the things I own and have owned.  For a bit, I think the guy at the Fedex store wanted to hide when he saw me coming.  When my friend worked at an audio shop I helped him set up Levinson 33Hs many moons ago.  Each is shipped in a crate and I could be mistaken but I think they each weighed 220 pounds.

bjski

« Reply #64 on: 25 Oct 2012, 04:10 am »
BCA-1
Bryston converter adapter 1  :scratch:

larevoj

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2012, 04:14 am »
This is state of the art USB Interface from Bryston.

BUI-1  :thumb:

Bryston USB Interface.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:00 pm »
B480 (according to 480Mbit/s),

BHC - Bryston Host Controller,

BHI - Bryston Host Interface

or any combination of them. for example BH480...

al.

marsboer

« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2012, 06:43 pm »
Hihi, many of the names suggested doesn't make any technological sense at all :)

In BDA-1/2 I guess its short for Bryston Digital to Analog. In other words you refer to your digital inputs with the common word digital, no matter if it's USB/S-PDIF/AES-EBU.
To be concistent with your previuos meaning of "digital" in this context, I think the most reasonable name is Bryston USB to Digital audio adapter (because you have several digital outputs), or BUD-1 in short version.
Like your other products the name also tells you what it does. Although I like Bryston USB Interface for its look, a USB interface could be more or less anything from audio to file storage and serial adapters.

brucek

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2012, 07:48 pm »

All these wacky acronyms. Why make it such a difficult guessing game?

James had it right on the first attempt.

Bryston USB Converter = BUC-1

brucek

larevoj

« Reply #69 on: 26 Oct 2012, 12:42 am »
Thanks for your endorsement  :thumb:

Hihi, many of the names suggested doesn't make any technological sense at all :)

In BDA-1/2 I guess its short for Bryston Digital to Analog. In other words you refer to your digital inputs with the common word digital, no matter if it's USB/S-PDIF/AES-EBU.
To be concistent with your previuos meaning of "digital" in this context, I think the most reasonable name is Bryston USB to Digital audio adapter (because you have several digital outputs), or BUD-1 in short version.
Like your other products the name also tells you what it does. Although I like Bryston USB Interface for its look, a USB interface could be more or less anything from audio to file storage and serial adapters.

alexone

« Reply #70 on: 26 Oct 2012, 05:12 pm »

hi, Marsboer!

even if most of these names don't make any (technical) sense to you or anybody else i think it is up to each individual (including me) to post some ideas no matter if correct or not.
for one point you are right if we are talking about technical correctness here - i'm not really sure if Bryston's new USB "thing" can be called a host, a controller or an interface or whatever... :green: in the end i think it's no delict just to have some ideas.

peace.

al.

larevoj

« Reply #71 on: 27 Oct 2012, 05:07 am »
James has mentioned about the Bryston USB Interface many times and in a number of threads. It makes sense too because it IS an USB interface from Bryston. There maybe a number of attractive features and it may change as the digital technology evolve.

Whatever the name is...more importantly its Bryston! :thumb:

MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player

October 2012

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product.

The BDP-2 Digital Player was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata internal harddrive capability, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP-1 in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purist" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 external DAC the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is also possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software). 

We will also be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 USB capability. 

Hope this helps.

James Tanner
Bryston

Hi Marius

We would recommend a Solid State Drive for the BDP-2 not a rotary drive for the noise issues you mentioned.

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product. The BDP -2 was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata , internal harddrive, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purest" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software).  We will be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 capability. 

James

HI,

Yes we will be (are) developing a USB 192/24 interface to be added to the BDA-1 before years end.

james

marsboer

« Reply #72 on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:18 pm »
All these wacky acronyms. Why make it such a difficult guessing game?

James had it right on the first attempt.

Bryston USB Converter = BUC-1

brucek

What does it convert USB to? Digital audio outputs? Serial interface? Harddisk interface?
I can not see that from the name, and hence it introduces a need to read the specifications, or if those aren't available you would just have to guess what it does.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:30 pm »
Hi,

Converts USB in to SPDIF out ... Coax, AES EBU and BNC - up to 192/24 async.

james

Marius

« Reply #74 on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:33 pm »
Hi James,

Have you given the idea of a front usb port input some thought? Maybe with one of those nice small up/down switches, to switch between front or back? (like the mute on Bp26)

Marius

srb

« Reply #75 on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:44 pm »
What does it convert USB to? Digital audio outputs? Serial interface? Harddisk interface?
I can not see that from the name, and hence it introduces a need to read the specifications, or if those aren't available you would just have to guess what it does.

I'm pretty sure most everyone knows (or can easily guess) what a "USB Converter" or "USB Interface" is relative to audio.

But if the model number has to describe it exactly then the only choice would have to be

BD24192AUSBAESEBUSPDIFC-1
Bryston Digital 24-bit 192KHz Asynchronous USB to AES/EBU and S/PDIF Converter

Steve

alexone

« Reply #76 on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:15 pm »
...good one, Steve :thumb:. it should solve the problem.

al.

brucek

« Reply #77 on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: marsboer
What does it convert USB to?

Just like James and srb indicate, "I'm pretty sure most everyone knows (or can easily guess) what a "USB Converter" or "USB Interface" is relative to audio."

It converts USB in to SPDIF out. Seems fairly obvious to me.

brucek

JfTM

« Reply #78 on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure most everyone knows (or can easily guess) what a "USB Converter" or "USB Interface" is relative to audio.

But if the model number has to describe it exactly then the only choice would have to be

BD24192AUSBAESEBUSPDIFC-1
Bryston Digital 24-bit 192KHz Asynchronous USB to AES/EBU and S/PDIF Converter

Steve

Won't they need a bigger case though?   :lol:

tankhouse

« Reply #79 on: 29 Oct 2012, 04:27 pm »
"BD24192AUSBAESEBUSPDIFC-1"

Won't they need a bigger case though?   :lol:

LOL, 19" face plate on the front, 4" case at the back  :lol: