• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #161 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:22 pm »
Thank you James
It was purchased from Claude Sons Ideal

Robert

Hi Robert - that may be the problem as he is no longer a dealer - maybe recheck with him.

james

Robert D

« Reply #162 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:33 pm »
James, All was cleared with his sales Rep and Bryston
they worked it out

Let me know Please

Regards Robert

gordon

« Reply #163 on: 20 Jan 2013, 03:11 pm »
Great :thumb:  looking forward to your feedback.

James
OK, 48 hours into this (Mac mini running Pure Music / iTunes into BDA2, into BP26 & 4BSST, into B&W CDM9NT's) and the BDA2 has taken it to a whole new level. It replaces BDA1 + Empirical Offramp3, which had been a very good combo for USB. Now the BDA2 in place of both is proving to be a big improvement in each of 3 major areas; resolving detail, avoiding any harsh or fatiguing elements and a more precise and expansive soundstage.
Overall not a subtle change, a great step up. Hope Bryston gets the press and business it deserves on this new DAC, bravo James.

gordon

« Reply #164 on: 20 Jan 2013, 03:14 pm »
OK, 48 hours into this (Mac mini running Pure Music / iTunes into BDA2, into BP26 & 4BSST, into B&W CDM9NT's) and the BDA2 has taken it to a whole new level. It replaces BDA1 + Empirical Offramp3, which had been a very good combo for USB. Now the BDA2 in place of both is proving to be a big improvement in each of 3 major areas; resolving detail, avoiding any harsh or fatiguing elements and a more precise and expansive soundstage.
Overall not a subtle change, a great step up. Hope Bryston gets the press and business it deserves on this new DAC, bravo James.

Oh yeah, key music played so far: John Williams The Magic Box, The Unthanks cd Last (highly recommended), a lot of Sarah Harmer and Mark Knopfler.
Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 20 Jan 2013, 03:29 pm »

Hi Gordon -  thanks for the feedback. Have you tried Amarra or Audirvana or Bitperfect as well?

James

gordon

« Reply #166 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:30 pm »
Hi Gordon -  thanks for the feedback. Have you tried Amarra or Audirvana or Bitperfect as well?

James
Am a past Amarra user, switched to PM and no reason to look back.  Have not tried either of the others, back to music listening vs system tweaking for awhile!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:52 pm »
Am a past Amarra user, switched to PM and no reason to look back.  Have not tried either of the others, back to music listening vs system tweaking for awhile!!

Thanks - I am running blind tests with the 4 different programs.  I assume you prefer Pure Music over Amarra?

James

gordon

« Reply #168 on: 20 Jan 2013, 09:01 pm »
Thanks - I am running blind tests with the 4 different programs.  I assume you prefer Pure Music over Amarra?

James

Yes, subtle difference but for my ears an improvement and also found the whole purchase/support/set-up a little more suited to my modest technical ability. Eager for your views once your through the test.
Cheers

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #169 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:10 am »
Glad to see some positive user experience with the Bryston BDA-2.

Can't wait to get my unit back from Bryston.

James, are you testing my DAC as we speak?  Curious to see what you think.

Thanks
Jules (A.K.A - Ottawa HiFi)

Robert D

« Reply #170 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm »
Glad to see some positive user experience with the Bryston BDA-2.

Can't wait to get my unit back from Bryston.

James, are you testing my DAC as we speak?  Curious to see what you think.

Thanks
Jules (A.K.A - Ottawa HiFi)

Jules wheh did you send your unit back to Bryston ?

Robert

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #171 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:08 pm »
Robert,

I sent the DAC in last week.  Officially they got it last Friday.  Not sure what the turn around time is,
but I am sitting tight to see if anything can be resolved.

If nothing is wrong with the DAC, then I have a serious problem with my audio system that I need to fix.   :scratch:

As soon as I get the DAC returned to me, I will be updating AudioCircle.

Regards,
Jules

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:15 pm »
Robert,

I sent the DAC in last week.  Officially they got it last Friday.  Not sure what the turn around time is,
but I am sitting tight to see if anything can be resolved.

If nothing is wrong with the DAC, then I have a serious problem with my audio system that I need to fix.   :scratch:

As soon as I get the DAC returned to me, I will be updating AudioCircle.

Regards,
Jules

Hi Jules

We are checking it out now so will let you know as soon as we figure out if there is an issue or not.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #173 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:38 pm »
Hi Jules,

We have looked at your BDA-2 and electrically it is working perfectly.

james

Xinon

« Reply #174 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:18 pm »
Got mine today  :D
After 5min Im glad to report it is not sibilant or sharp in any way .
Will compare it to Bda1 in the weekend .

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #175 on: 25 Jan 2013, 03:12 am »
Thanks James.

I installed a MyDac from Micromega (loan).  It is sounding fine at this time in my system.

I am looking forward to receiving the BDA-2 once again and putting it through it's paces.

I know the Micro Mega is not in the same league, but it is also not replicating the initial sibilance I had before.

Tomorrow is another day and I will report back once I have installed it back in my system.

Again James, Team Bryston, thanks for being local (Canadian) and looking at my DAC in a timely manner.

Jules.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #176 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:05 pm »
Thanks James.

I installed a MyDac from Micromega (loan).  It is sounding fine at this time in my system.

I am looking forward to receiving the BDA-2 once again and putting it through it's paces.

I know the Micro Mega is not in the same league, but it is also not replicating the initial sibilance I had before.

Tomorrow is another day and I will report back once I have installed it back in my system.

Again James, Team Bryston, thanks for being local (Canadian) and looking at my DAC in a timely manner.

Jules.

Hi Jules

Given that you preferred the sound of the BDA-1 do you want me to replace the 2 with the 1 for you?

james

gordon

« Reply #177 on: 26 Jan 2013, 02:29 pm »
Got mine today  :D
After 5min Im glad to report it is not sibilant or sharp in any way .
Will compare it to Bda1 in the weekend .
I am now 10 full days into the BDA2 as a replacement to the BDA1 and am loving the trade up in sound quality. No knock on the BDA1, the 2 just takes it to a new level. Enjoy!

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #178 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:46 pm »
James,

I will think about your offer. 

From what other are generally saying, the BDA2 is a significant step up.

I will look at every component in my system, starting with my source to see where the sibilance is coming from.

I suspect the BDA2 is revealing the shortcomings of my $300 transport (the Squeezebox touch).  That's a good place to begin.

I appreciate your comments.  And James (from Bryston), thanks for your extra attention to my DAC.  I know you are pulling double duty this weekend
to listen to it.  Look forward to your remarks on Monday.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules).

Xinon

« Reply #179 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:45 pm »
I Get mixed results when comparing them side by side . But one has played thousands of hours , the other only 50 . Both are spectacular soundwise ,but  Bda2 is a little constrained making vokals a little more distant, and the bass is a tad drier (harder) and does not go as deep , I feel the bassthump in the chest more with the Bda1 .
I had to check the specification to see if they had the same output voltage ,because I felt the Bda1 was louder . Bda1 makes rythmic music swing more ,it has more PRAT , Bda2 is a bit more focused/controled( maybe) an relaxed .
Tonaly they are very similar .
I will let the Bda2 play for one more week and check again next weekend, but I am not returning the Bda1 just yet as it is still my favourite, but it is close.....

Music used in this comparison .
My little Angel - Blues Company
Blackjack hart - Michelle Shocked
Add fiction - Remi Panossian Trio
Fly me to the moon - Frank Sinatra
David Munyon - Hollywood town

Cheers from Norway  :D

And I blame all mispelling om IPad  :thumb: