BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?

SoundGame

Re: BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?
« Reply #80 on: 17 Sep 2012, 11:14 am »
There are modular approches that we can use and do on some products - the SP3 for instance.

james

Flexibility like this on a Bryston DAC would be great!!!

SoundGame

« Reply #81 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:28 pm »
Hi,

Yes we are looking at DSD and if it is possible on the current BDA-1.

james

I was just reading that Chord release a very affordable version of its Chordette product with not only 32/192 capability but also DSD.  I haven't considered DSD myself as I don't own any SACD but there are other places to get these files beyond ripping from a SACD.  I know these are competitors but thought it was interesting to share: http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-ready-dacs-short-list

Oh, and it seems to be that DACs are becoming more feature rich at lower price points - do you see that the cost of producing a DAC at the level of a BDA actually declining already that it is now possible to offer more at the same price or perhaps even reduce pricing on subsequent models?

Phil A

« Reply #82 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:55 pm »
I was just reading that Chord release a very affordable version of its Chordette product with not only 32/192 capability but also DSD.  I haven't considered DSD myself as I don't own any SACD but there are other places to get these files beyond ripping from a SACD.  I know these are competitors but thought it was interesting to share: http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-ready-dacs-short-list

Oh, and it seems to be that DACs are becoming more feature rich at lower price points - do you see that the cost of producing a DAC at the level of a BDA actually declining already that it is now possible to offer more at the same price or perhaps even reduce pricing on subsequent models?

I have not signed up (yet) for Blue Coast Records newsletter but will eventually and I believe they have a sampler one can download.

Marius

« Reply #83 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:12 pm »
Nice examples to try and compare resolution/QoS on Channel Classics, Mahler 1st http://www.channelclassics.com/try-it-now

Marius

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #84 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:49 pm »
Yes I think that has merit.  It just seems like there are very few interested in DSD as such given it is really DSD encased in a PCM wrapper.

james

FYI.  Just because us DSD fans listen to pure native DSD via something called DSD over PCM (DoP) doesn't mean that the files, "wrapped in PCM" for the ride, are any less native.  The signal path is pure DSD, it's just that it is carried cleverly by a 24/176k packed vehicle, then a flag (imbedded in the first 8 bits) tells the DAC whether it's REAL 1 bit 2.8mhz DSD or is 24/176k PCM.  There is no conversion, no faux DSD, etc.  it's the real thing.  And on Windows, if you use ASIO, there is no DoP either (I have used both and do not hear any difference).

James, you have a PM.

Marius

« Reply #85 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:00 pm »
HI Ted,
Thanks for joining this. Is there no preference for hardware decoding DSD over software decoding?
If so, could the  BDP1 (software) be updated to play these files?

Audirvana + plays DSD, and in my situation plays a dsd64 file on the MAcbook in 24/44.1 resolution. I could attach the MAcbook to the BDA1 but would still have the same resolution over USb or optical. Seems there's a lot of conversion going on, and James always advices to play native resolution.

What's to choose?

Marius

FYI.  Just because us DSD fans listen to pure native DSD via something called DSD over PCM (DoP) doesn't mean that the files, "wrapped in PCM" for the ride, are any less native.  The signal path is pure DSD, it's just that it is carried cleverly by a 24/176k packed vehicle, then a flag (imbedded in the first 8 bits) tells the DAC whether it's REAL 1 bit 2.8mhz DSD or is 24/176k PCM.  There is no conversion, no faux DSD, etc.  it's the real thing.  And on Windows, if you use ASIO, there is no DoP either (I have used both and do not hear any difference).

James, you have a PM.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #86 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:21 pm »
Marius, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  I have three OS's serving me DSD: OSX (A+ or PM), Windows (J River, Foobar, HQplayer) and MPD Linux (embedded player of course).  I have no idea whether the BDP-1 could be updated to play DSD, as it involves more than just the OS I would think, but, nonetheless, the Voyage MPD OS does have a version that supports DSD, yes.  And it supports DSF metadata/tagging, etc.  In Linux and OSX I use DoP, in Windows I use ASIO (only cuz I want to try DSD128 and my home office DAC, the Mytek, only supports DSD128 in ASIO right now....temporary and unique circumstance).  I will be building a minimalist Windows server (Computer Audiophile calls it CAPS V2) in the next days and it will serve my main rig.  Then I can do a proper "which minimalist server and OS sounds best for me" thing.  :)   

If the BDP-1 is made to do DSD I would think it would be amazing!  It would be asking for a new big brother though  :)

Marius

« Reply #87 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:32 pm »
Main question is , I think  :scratch:, whether we need a dedicated DSD-decoding chip in Brystons setup, or can rely on new software, to play DSD files optimally on the BDP1.

I can now output Audirvana+ to the BDA1, but it downsizes the resolution over USB. James is making this new USB 192/24 box to have high res USB transport. How wonderful would it be to be able to play DSD natively on that. Either through software or hardware, which you explained both to be valid DSD playing. Or on the BDP1 with updated software, if possible.

There are so many options, it gets confusing to choose the best. Would appreciate your expert opinion on this.

Thanks!
Marius

Marius, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  I have three OS's serving me DSD: OSX (A+ or PM), Windows (J River, Foobar, HQplayer) and MPD Linux (embedded player of course).  I have no idea whether the BDP-1 could be updated to play DSD, as it involves more than just the OS I would think, but, nonetheless, the Voyage MPD OS does have a version that supports DSD, yes.  And it supports DSF metadata/tagging, etc.  In Linux and OSX I use DoP, in Windows I use ASIO (only cuz I want to try DSD128 and my home office DAC, the Mytek, only supports DSD128 in ASIO right now....temporary and unique circumstance).  I will be building a minimalist Windows server (Computer Audiophile calls it CAPS V2) in the next days and it will serve my main rig.  Then I can do a proper "which minimalist server and OS sounds best for me" thing.  :)   

If the BDP-1 is made to do DSD I would think it would be amazing!  It would be asking for a new big brother though  :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #88 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:38 pm »
At the very least you need a DSD capable DAC, period.  Simply serving up DSD files, whether via DoP or ASIO, is not enough.  The DAC chip MUST be capable of 1 bit 2.8mHZ decoding.  You can't fake it.  And to retrofit a DAC that has an underutiltized DSD capability (many DAC chips can theoretically do it and don't)...ain't easy.  it's not firmware, it's a hardware revision.  If James/Bryston is truly creating a new DAC , capable of 24/192 via USB, then the chip must be DSD-capable.  Just 24/192 is not enough.   There is no "software" solution.

Phil A

« Reply #89 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:57 pm »

That's why I suggested it to James a page or two back.  There's nothing like family :lol:  When I get done digitizing my files, the BDA-1 with the outboard box to do 24/192 over USB would be OK for a short term solution for me.  I do think there is a market for it.  The Sonore music server with an upgraded power supply is not cheap and it allows room for a BDP-2 at a price point that is competitive.  There are a bunch of companies do music servers.  Having a read audiophile player where all formats are supported is going be an easy buy for me and mean I can make a decision shortly after that on a DSD DAC.  It would sure be nice to have a new family member at CES 2014! :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #90 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
Aha, Check! the very reason I suggested James to incorporate this is the new Usb192/24 box.

Hope James will check this and consider its possibilities.
Thank you Ted(_b) and Phil(-a)

Marius

At the very least you need a DSD capable DAC, period.  Simply serving up DSD files, whether via DoP or ASIO, is not enough.  The DAC chip MUST be capable of 1 bit 2.8mHZ decoding.  You can't fake it.  And to retrofit a DAC that has an underutiltized DSD capability (many DAC chips can theoretically do it and don't)...ain't easy.  it's not firmware, it's a hardware revision.  If James/Bryston is truly creating a new DAC , capable of 24/192 via USB, then the chip must be DSD-capable.  Just 24/192 is not enough.   There is no "software" solution.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #91 on: 1 Oct 2012, 12:07 am »
Hi,

Yes we are looking at DSD and if it is possible on the current BDA-1.

james

James,

is DSD still an option for the BDA-1??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 1 Oct 2012, 12:48 am »

James,

is DSD still an option for the BDA-1??

al.

No - the chip set can not decode it.

james

won ton on

« Reply #93 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:00 am »
Does anyone else think that James Tanner looks kinda like John Abercrombie,just sayin. no offence meant or intended.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #94 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:25 am »
No - the chip set can not decode it.

james

James,

- is there something like an outboard DSD/USB device possible for BDA-1owners?

- what about a trade-in??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:57 am »
James,

al.

Hi Al,

No device I am aware of and the trade in would be a dealer issue.

james

Phil A

« Reply #96 on: 1 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm »
James,

al.

The outboard USB box would of course allow DSD converted (Foobar and JRiver both do it) to hi-rez PCM.  James, what will the outboard USB box run out of curiousity?  It may be a good short-term solution for me while software gets developed and would make a killer DAC combo with a server for a back-up system.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:15 pm »
The outboard USB box would of course allow DSD converted (Foobar and JRiver both do it) to hi-rez PCM.  James, what will the outboard USB box run out of curiousity?  It may be a good short-term solution for me while software gets developed and would make a killer DAC combo with a server for a back-up system.

Not sure yet - Hope around $600

Prototype:

Phil A

« Reply #98 on: 1 Oct 2012, 02:05 pm »
James, thanks.  You noted about the BDA-2 being DSD capable but nothing about the BDP-2 being able to pass DSD.  Will it be able to?  Would be a nice combo at around $5.4k.  Less than the Meitner DAC alone.  Do you think it is likely that software will be written by the middle of 2013?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:24 pm »
James, thanks.  You noted about the BDA-2 being DSD capable but nothing about the BDP-2 being able to pass DSD.  Will it be able to?  Would be a nice combo at around $5.4k.  Less than the Meitner DAC alone.  Do you think it is likely that software will be written by the middle of 2013?

I do not think the BDP-2 will be able to pass DSD. 

The software for the BDA2 we are looking at options now.

james