Pumpkinman’s "Rock and Roll" thread.

pconley2

Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #5120 on: 26 May 2015, 07:00 pm »
Phil and Doc,

thanks for the introduction to other FC albums. I'm out to add to my meager FC collection.

Best,

Laura
Laura, I left out Full House,  which does not have Sandy Denny but does have Dave Swarbrick, and I agree with devil Doc's assessment that he is the finest fiddle player to come out of UK focused on Traditional Celtic music.  But also, we start to see the emergence of Richard Thompson as a real creative force.  Full House is a primitive album but Walk Awhile is an astonishing song, and you can't help but sing along.  I have lots of FC albums (and CD's) but these are my favorites.

I consider Fairport to be the British equivalent of the Byrds, highly unstable; personnel changes from album to album, but like the Byrds, periodic outbursts of exceptional music.

Phil

Phil

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5121 on: 26 May 2015, 10:29 pm »
Laura -  since you look for primarily vinyl, you may find Fairport Live under the title A Moveable Feast. Not sure about the why of the title change, but they're the same album.  :D

I'd agree with all that Doc & Phil said, but also enjoy a number of the other group variations. Nine, Rising for the Moon (which was Sandy's last with the group), and of their later work Jewel In The Crown is excellent imo.   :thumb:

« Last Edit: 27 May 2015, 01:01 am by ArthurDent »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5122 on: 27 May 2015, 12:47 am »
Thanks JD

pconley2

« Reply #5123 on: 27 May 2015, 12:54 am »
Laura -  since you look for primarily vinyl, you may find Fairport Live under the title A Moveable Feast. Not sure about the why of the title change, but they're the same album.  :D

I'd agree with all that Doc & Phil said, but also enjoy a number of the other group variations. Nine, Rising for the Moon (which was Sandy's last), and of their later work Jewel In The Crown is excellent imo.   :thumb:
Arthur, +1 on everything you said, yes, A Moveable Feast is the Album version, Live was the name of the CD, The CD is a little cleaner, the album a little fuller, my guess is you could find the CD easily and the album would be much harder to find (although Amazon claims to have one for $5.95).
There are also a number of Compilations including at least one (called Chronicles, I think) which has the Family Tree, which shows who joined when, and where they went, very complicated and very influential.
Phil

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5124 on: 27 May 2015, 01:13 am »
Arthur, +1 on everything you said, yes, A Moveable Feast is the Album version, Live was the name of the CD, The CD is a little cleaner, the album a little fuller, my guess is you could find the CD easily and the album would be much harder to find (although Amazon claims to have one for $5.95).
There are also a number of Compilations including at least one (called Chronicles, I think) which has the Family Tree, which shows who joined when, and where they went, very complicated and very influential.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Yep, have Chronicles on vinyl, and the group has certainly gone thru more iterations than most. There's an interesting bar graph of the people & timelines at Wiki. To my thinking coming out the other side in good shape, much different than the early days no doubt, but still great English folk rock . Another good later live release is the Cropredy Festival.

Keep 'em spinnin'   :thumb:

JD (aka AD)

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #5125 on: 27 May 2015, 06:02 pm »

Crow ~ Mosaic

Back from Minnesota nice to meet AVnerdguy

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5126 on: 27 May 2015, 09:50 pm »

Doc

Devil Doc

« Reply #5127 on: 27 May 2015, 10:37 pm »

Doc

Toni Rambold

« Reply #5128 on: 28 May 2015, 01:50 pm »
Fotheringay

Sandy Denny formed a short-lived band called  Fotheringay  in 1970. They released only this album.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #5129 on: 28 May 2015, 02:33 pm »
Sandy Denny: Rendezvous

Her last solo album with the best version of  Candle in the Wind  ever.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #5130 on: 28 May 2015, 03:16 pm »
Fairport Convention: What We Did On Our Holidays

Her first album with FC.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #5131 on: 28 May 2015, 03:56 pm »
Fairport Convention: Unhalfbricking

Devil Doc

« Reply #5132 on: 28 May 2015, 04:23 pm »

UK, 180gm pressing Numbered limited edition #376 of 500
An early home demo before FC. Not exactly audiophile quality, but not bad.

Doc

Toni Rambold

« Reply #5133 on: 28 May 2015, 04:39 pm »
Fairport Convention: Rising for the Moon

Reunion and last album with FC.

This was a rainy afternoon with Sandy Denny ...  :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5134 on: 28 May 2015, 04:48 pm »
Toni,

thanks for posting all of those. I am on the prowl for some Sandy Denny and FC albums

Devil Doc

« Reply #5135 on: 29 May 2015, 01:31 am »

Doc

pconley2

« Reply #5136 on: 29 May 2015, 02:09 am »
Toni,

thanks for posting all of those. I am on the prowl for some Sandy Denny and FC albums

Toni, nice to see all the vinyl, especially the Hanibal label for Fotheringay.
JD, thanks for the comments, I will keep on spinning, the more I read P-Man's Rock and Roll Vinyl page, the more I go back to my vinyl collection...so thanks to all of you.
Devil Doc, since you are, or were, a drummer, I hope you agree with me that Dave Mattacks, of Fairport and many other bands, is one of rock's unsung drum heros.

And lastly, in my vinyl collection, Fairport resides between John Fahey and Fanny, the first and best, IMHO, of the all girl rock bands--their drummer is also one of my drum heros.

Phil

Devil Doc

« Reply #5137 on: 29 May 2015, 02:34 am »
He's better than me. :lol:

Doc

Devil Doc

« Reply #5138 on: 29 May 2015, 02:39 am »

Doc