Bryston Loudspeakers

SoundGame

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #240 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:35 pm »
PMC - BB5 Active stack

james

Your aspirations for your speaker...is the intention to surpass the BB5 at a lower cost and more manageable size or to get near there...say 90%??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #241 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:37 pm »
Your aspirations for your speaker...is the intention to surpass the BB5 at a lower cost and more manageable size or to get near there...say 90%??

Get near at 'Model T' prices in comparison.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #242 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:41 pm »

james

Sounds like a winning proposition - if it's achieveable, especially keeping all things domestic.  Very interesting James - thanks for the opportunity to join you in the quest...now those pics, please... :icon_lol:

mr_bill

« Reply #243 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:48 pm »

james

I like your plan!

mr_bill

« Reply #244 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm »
James,
Do you need a horn speaker with high efficiency to accomplish the instantaneous type of dynamics you are searching for?  I agree with you on this goal and that is one big aspect of making music sound real.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:58 pm »
James,
Do you need a horn speaker with high efficiency to accomplish the instantaneous type of dynamics you are searching for?  I agree with you on this goal and that is one big aspect of making music sound real.

Yes that is my frustration - my first speakers were Corner Horns - which were incredibly coloured of course - but to this day I miss what they did well.  :thumb:

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #246 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:54 am »
James,
Have you guys at Bryston ever thought about a single solution pre crossover in one box and out board power supply to minimize the wire from pre to crossover and space?
Or it is not a good idea.

mrhyfy

« Reply #247 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:13 am »
Really like the esthetic of the speaker, but not sure about the white driver!  Any chance that black driver could be use.

Gil

May I respectfully suggest an option for dark coloured woofers?

James,,,this was the first request for dark woofers!!  Maybe include a can of satin black paint from "Crappy Tire"??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #248 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:26 am »
James,
Have you guys at Bryston ever thought about a single solution pre crossover in one box and out board power supply to minimize the wire from pre to crossover and space?
Or it is not a good idea.

I think the problem is not many customers need an electronic crossover as part of their system.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #249 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:35 am »

James,,,this was the first request for dark woofers!!  Maybe include a can of satin black paint from "Crappy Tire"??

No I am afraid they have to stay white as they are aluminum custom drivers. There will be grills though which can be black.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #250 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:51 am »
Given that there are now 7 drivers, I'm assuming the height of the speaker is perhaps about 8 inches higher than the Axiom v80, which measures at around 40 inches - so is the design now around 48 inches in height.  Given typical seated ear level of around 34 inches, does this present a problem with tweeter position and phase?  Is phase coherence handled by the DSP or would it make sense to time align the drivers with an angled front baffle, thus attempting to get a broad frequency dynamic wave to the listener in propper phase?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #251 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:55 am »
Given that there are now 7 drivers, I'm assuming the height of the speaker is perhaps about 8 inches higher than the Axiom v80, which measures at around 40 inches - so is the design now around 48 inches in height.  Given typical seated ear level of around 34 inches, does this present a problem with tweeter position and phase?  Is phase coherence handled by the DSP or would it make sense to time align the drivers with an angled front baffle, thus attempting to get a broad frequency dynamic wave to the listener in propper phase?

Yes 48 inches and yes all the alignments and phase can be adjusted in the DSP  :thumb:

James

sfraser

« Reply #252 on: 7 Feb 2012, 07:10 pm »

james

Model T eh? "T" stand for Tanner?  :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #253 on: 7 Feb 2012, 07:25 pm »
Hi SoundGame,

It has been an interesting journey so far.

I have always felt that the main problem I have experienced with the many speakers I have owned has been 'dynamic compression' . When you hear a gun shot or a back fire in the real world the dynamics are huge. Most speakers I have owned (other than horns) always seem to lack the ability to recreate the dynamics of real life or real music. So my quest with this speaker was to produce a speaker capable of real world performance. I have played with double woofer single mid and tweeter, then double woofer, double mids, single tweeter. Was not happy so decided, screw it, lets go all out with a triple woofer, double mid and double tweeter and see what happens. This arrangement is heresy in the audiophile world I know but it really does seem to work well. :scratch:

Also we are just about finished with a Bryston version of the DSP electronic crossover I want to use with this speaker. Up till now I have been just using a generic chip based version of the crossover.  The Bryston will be a full Class A circuit, Balanced inputs and outputs, will operate at 96/24 and have terrific power supply integrity and excellent noise and distortion figures on the order of 100 times better than the distortion of the generic chip version I was using.

james

Yep, when I am watching a hockey game on my system downstairs every time someone gets slammed into the boards it make me jump/cringe. Just like being at a game. Courtesy of course of the Klipsch Lascala's. Add me to the list interested in hearing the Model T's. And you can get the woofers in any color......as longs as it's white ; )

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 7 Feb 2012, 07:36 pm »
Hey just thought maybe we should call the speaker the 'Bryston Model T'   :thumb:

james

mr_bill

« Reply #255 on: 7 Feb 2012, 08:04 pm »
..aahhh -oooooggaaa!

sfraser

« Reply #256 on: 8 Feb 2012, 01:31 am »
Hey just thought maybe we should call the speaker the 'Bryston Model T'   :thumb:

james

Well, you have the "ST" or   Stuart Taylor inspired amps, so why wouldn't  you run with the  Model T's ?

Have fun with them James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 8 Feb 2012, 09:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

Prototype DSP crossover ready for testing  :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #258 on: 8 Feb 2012, 09:17 pm »