Leveling

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Leveling
« on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:52 pm »
This is kind of embarrassing. I'll be darned if I can properly level a turntable, especially one with four adjustable feet.. I must have some kind of learning disability. Anyone have a system I can use. It would be very much appreciated as I'm getting a new turntable in the next week or so.

Doc

Charles Xavier

Re: Leveling
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:38 pm »
Use one of bubble level apps on your phone. Mine has a 360 degree level

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm »
that's pretty handy.
I was going to suggest starting with all feet in the middle of the thread.
Do your front to back then side to side.
May be good to check your rack and see your starting point too.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:16 am »
Depends on the table.  Most are more stable with the feet all the way up, like ones with rubber feet with a threaded bolt on top.  With those lower one foot as little as possible.  It's usually better to level the support board or slab under the table.  Also check corner to corner - right front to left rear etc.  Push down on each corner to check for stability as you would do front to back or side to side. 

You should really level the platter, but some aren't flat.  Cheap levels are problematic.  Many will give different readings when you turn it around.  That phone app sounds like a good solution. 
neo

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm »
I am thankful that both my TTs use three point leveling!  Makes things much simpler.

For 4 point, I might try something like this:

Put a rubber ball between the front and back legs of the left side of the TT.  The ball needs to be large enough to lift those two feet off the shelf.  You've then eliminated them from the equation and 'created' a 3 point TT.  Now work on leveling the right side feet in the front-back plane only.  Switch the rubber ball and repeat for the left two side feet.  Now you should be completely level in the front to back plane for both sides.  Now it's just a matter of leveling left to right.  Adjust one side of feet only (L or R) and be sure to turn both feet on that side the exact same number of turns.  Otherwise you disturb the front-back levelness you initially set.

I haven't done this.  But it seems like a solid method...theoretically at least.  You could also use a speaker cone instead of the ball.  But you need to use something that allows the table on that side to pivot a little or you may not get the opposite side perfectly level.  Let me know if this works.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm »
I have one of these:

Works great!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:11 pm »
Use one of bubble level apps on your phone. Mine has a 360 degree level

Charles,

Which app do you use. There are several available.

Thanks

Laura

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:22 pm »
If you think of the four points as an "X" instead of a rectangle
it should become easier to level anything with 4 legs.
Learned that from working on Stock Cars, wedge, crossweight, etc.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:25 pm »
Charles,

Which app do you use. There are several available.

Thanks

Laura

It's just called bubble level in the google play store on my phone. Works like a charm . Even has a calibration mode

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:40 pm »
that's pretty handy.
I was going to suggest starting with all feet in the middle of the thread.
Do your front to back then side to side.
May be good to check your rack and see your starting point too.

Really good suggestions. While you're waiting for the table to arrive, level your rack / shelf where the table will sit. This gives you a excellent starting point that allows you to procede to the "middle of thread" approach for final leveling of the table. I'm old fashion and use a 9" torpedo level for turntable set-up. Haven't tried the iPhone app yet.

loving_it

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2014, 05:32 pm »
For sure make sure the rack or whatever your putting your TT on is level 1st it will safe a lot of aggravation

WireNut

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2014, 09:12 pm »
Picked this up at Sears Hardware awhile back, works great, was round $2.00  :D

Shoot, I might drop 6 more bucks for three more and put them at 12,3,6 at 9:00 positions on the table  :banghead:.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2014, 09:45 pm »
Assuming you have a low-profile 45 RPM single adapter, or a spindle weight/clamp...

Put the adapter, etc. on.

Place a bubble level similar to the type used in the preceding post on top of the adapter, and get to leveling.

For a bit more precision, I would suggest something like the one at the bottom of this page:

http://www.osageaudio.com/ortofon_accessories.html

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2014, 09:19 am »
Hi all.
The KAB is nice because it's a level combined with a vinyl clamp device
and I bought it for 25 USD.
The rectangular one is for leveling your camera and it fits on the hot shoe of the camera I paid 2.50 USD from my Hong Kong supplier.
The tiny round one, I got it from a photo tripod from my supplier Manfrotto Italy and it's only 1 USD.
I think all of them are accurate enough for me.
Just want to share.

Guy 13

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm »
If you think of the four points as an "X" instead of a rectangle
it should become easier to level anything with 4 legs.
Learned that from working on Stock Cars, wedge, crossweight, etc.
That, is remarkably helpful, and thanks to the rest of you for your comments. I think I'm going to try a circular level. I've always used a 9" level in the past.

Doc