Best speakers for an STA-9

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
Best speakers for an STA-9
« on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:04 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for help finding the best speakers for my new STA-9 amplifier. But first please let me say I absolutely love the sound of this amp! I originally purchased an STA-6, but I found the sound far closer to neutral than I'd hoped. However I was so impressed with the overall build and sound quality of the STA-6, I took a chance on an STA-9 and am very glad I did.

I saw the TAS review and the thread here warning us away from KEF LS50 speakers for the STA-9. How about the KEF "R" series (R300 etc)? Or should I look south and try Focal? In posts here I see a vote for the ScanSpeak Revelator, but I'm not planning to DIY. I also see DynAudio and Evoke mentioned, but some posts also discuss the ST-10 so I'm not sure which amp they're best with.

To make this discussion even more interesting, is anyone using the same speakers for two-channel and surround, or do you have separate systems? Seems to me that the goals for those systems are very different, and that I'd use a different amp for surround too. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

TJ-Sully

Re: Best speakers for an STA-9
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2018, 04:33 pm »
hey lc

i would recommend Bryston's Mini A speakers. Well balanced, high performance - and a 20-year warranty you can trust.

a fairly comprehensive review from Stereolife: http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/reviews/item/1116-bryston-mini-a

That STA-9 amp you have looks pretty versatile....

good luck.

tj

pawsman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2018, 05:07 pm »
I love my Tekton Impact monitors; they are an easy load to drive, get a very natural, organic sound and
paired with 2 Emotiva DSP10 subs give me full range sound for Classical music (my main genre).
You can check out Audiogons Tekton Boards for the Impact Monitors and Double Impact towers for more
feedback from Audiophiles-

pawsman

left channel

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2018, 06:10 pm »
Thanks! Has anyone listened to the above-recommended speakers powered by an STA-9?  Any other suggestions? 

TJ-Sully

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2018, 08:03 pm »
hey lefty, i just read a pretty cool article about NuPrime's ST-10 amp. This review may provide some insights into selecting matching speakers.

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/nuprime-st-10-power-amp/

TJ

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2018, 08:09 pm »
The 9 and 10 series are not voiced the same.  I have the IDA-8 that is voiced closer to the STA-9 and speakers that work with it do not sound the same as with the ST-10 as I have tried.  With the combination of the DAC-9 and the STA-9 you need to be careful with "warm" sounding speakers as you can easily go to far in that direction.  A price range would be helpful as well as bookshelf or floorstander or it doesn't matter. 

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2018, 08:12 pm »
Greetings Left Channel from a fellow southpaw north of you in Marin-  I have a few different models with ScanSpeak drivers and have never heard them driven with Nuprime amps although several of my customers use them.  Would you like to have a little listening session with your amp & my FritzSpeakers, your place or mine?  Let me know if you are interested, Thanks and happy listening...  Fritz Heiler

left channel

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I'm looking for recommendations from people who have actually heard the STA-9. There is a thread here on AudioCircle explaining KEF LS50 speakers are a very poor match for this amp. This was unfortunately discovered by a TAS reviewer, who as I recall loved another NuPrime amp with the same speakers. I'd like to avoid similar surprises.

I'm expecting to spend at least $10,000 on two-channel and surround speakers, probably more. Time wasted, especially time driving, is more precious to me. The design of the room is very modern so black or white boxes are preferred, and for cat-proofing I'm avoiding cloth coverings. Fully covered, Golden Ear Tritons would look like one big scratching post to those critters. :-)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2018, 10:15 pm »
Usually folks find speakers they really want.. and find an amplifier which works well with those speakers.

Have you Googled Nuprime sta 9 /speakers
Or /reviews?
Checking what others used to audition or commenting on with their amps might offer some clues.

One start is to also match the output of the amp, to the efficiency of some speakers..
Matching this pair of parameters could eliminate 60% or more of all speakers..
Low efficiency, high efficiency, power hungry, good with a SET,
Then size.. How BIG a speaker do you want?
Then availability.. Do you wnat to buy new, locally? or used online? Small used onine easy, big used online could be really tough unless within driving distance.

The plus of new local dealer is return if not good.
The plus of used if a good price is can resell with no loss.

left channel

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2018, 10:36 pm »
Thank you @Elizabeth that's very helpful. I actually did find this amp after first settling on speakers for my space-limited desk, almost by accident while cycling through several amps. I love the STA-9 so much it's staying there on the desk, so for the media room I'll need to buy at least one more.

I have Googled for reviews; that's how I found the TAS fiasco and then this forum. There are few other real reviews or discussions, and even fewer mention speakers. I'll keep your guidelines in mind while narrowing things down. At some point I will go to local dealers and/or invite them over.

zappan

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:58 am »
I've had a chance to hear STA-9 as monoblocks with ATC speakers and Rel bass subsystem with my local dealer, and the combination absolutely rocks the house. Choose your size freely among the smaller ones, they're all behaving very similar; I heard the combo with the tiny 7s, but don't be afraid to try out 11s (heard those with IDA-8, also very sweet combo), or even 19s.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm »
Agree with Elizabeth, always buy speakers first.  Amps exist to serve speakers, period.  And speakers have the biggest effect on system sound (room second, recordings third, source player fourth, pre/power/integrated amps last, cables/tweaks don't rate in a well designed system).

Are these for your desktop or in-room?  What are the room dimensions?  Is the room treated?  Do you already have a sub(s)?  What are your favorite musical genres?  Will you be listening to action movies with them?  What are your audio preferences?  What is your budget for these two speakers?  Confused, are you looking for the first two or an entire AV setup?

BTW please state power ratings for the STA-9 and what you like about it's sound.

kaka89

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:49 pm »
I am matching STA-9 & DAC-9 with my Focal Aria 926 floor-stand.

The STA-9 certainly has enough power to drive them, and I believe STA-9 should have enough power to drive most speakers on the market. And for your comparison, the only AMP I have matched with my Focal was a 40w Teac class AB amp, and it didn't go well. I had to sell my Teac immediately.

Regarding the sound, it is a pair of musical speaker. The Focal is known to be on the "bright" side, but I don't feel it with STA-9, so it is good. However, the bass very gentle on Focal 926, (which I like) if you expect more bass you should try other speakers.

I have heard the KEF R500, ELAC FS-247, they all have stronger bass.

In summary, I am satisfied with my STA-9. I absolutely love the size and the build of it. It is the best component I can get with my budget at that time.

kaka89

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:56 pm »
Side note. I have compared LS50 Wireless and R300 (with Marantz) side by side before.

The R300 has outstanding bass but the sound aren't as smooth as LS50W. In my opinion LS50 is a much better speaker, especially when you are not a bass lover.

If you like LS50 then you should try Focal out too, because Focal sound extremely smooth too.

left channel

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2018, 03:56 pm »
Many thanks to those who actually read my posts here before responding. So far I have Focal Aria and ATC/Rel on my list. Not sure about the Tekton/Emotiva suggestion as that did not mention my amp.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2018, 08:52 pm »
I have not had the STA-9 on my system, but I have tried a NuForce dda-100 and an ST-10 with my Totem speakers and they are a very good match.

The warmth of the STA-9 + DAC-9 combo may be an issue, but I think the Totems are 'clean' enough as to accept a wide range of 'colors' in the amps.  Also, since you talked about 'looks' and aesthetics, they are probably as clean as they come!, and they match your white or black preferences quite nicely.  You can look into Totem Sky's if you are looking for bookshelves, or Totem Sky Towers if you are looking for floorstands.  If you have a $10K budget, you may move a notch up in the ladder and go for the Totem models with Torrent drivers, like the new Tribe Towers.

Again, I have not tried the STA-9 on them, but I have never heard of a 'bad' match for the Totems, which suggests they may be on the 'neutral' side of the spectrum, being more or less versatile in terms of amps.

Obviously widening the array of options is not what one wants when trying to narrow them down, but one thing I know: I would try to avoid matches that are known to be problematic. :(

Hope this helps,
Rafa.

left channel

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2018, 05:11 pm »
Thanks Rafa! (For saying you haven't heard the STA-9, and for the suggestion.) I may find the Totems too "bright", but I am attracted to the idea that I could build a combined two-channel and surround system with Totem speakers. The design of the on-wall line is certainly slick, space-saving, and modern. I fear there would be some compromise with those, but reviews indicate they are much more musical than the KEF on-wall line. The entire Totem lineup is now on my audition list, including the bookshelf and desktop models.

I probably wouldn't travel far to try out Totem speakers, but it turns out they are sold by the same local dealer that offers Focal speakers as well as surround processors I'm interested in. So that's a plus. Funny, I originally planned to only visit another dealer that sells KEF speakers and seems to have a much more modern design sense, but am now heading first to the dealer with the more traditional-looking showroom. "Don't judge a book by its cover" and all that.

drumnman2

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2018, 06:45 pm »
 I'm using an STA 9 with Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 with very good results in a 2.1  sys. They also have a center and wall mount speakers for the sides/rear. Doubt the center and surrounds are up to the quality of the Totems but another option.

left channel

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2018, 07:20 pm »
Thanks @drumnman2! Reviews indicate those might have the warmth I'm looking for. And as luck would have it, they are available at the same local dealer that has the Focals and Totems. I'm on a roll here, and I appreciate your input.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2018, 07:57 pm »
...I may find the Totems too "bright", but I am attracted to the idea that I could build a combined two-channel and surround system with Totem speakers...

Totem has released two new speakers: Totem Sky, bookshelf and tower versions. These do not use the usual metallic tweeters, but soft dome ones.  I had them in my house for reviewing purposes and they have this warmth you describe, as opposed to the brightness of my Rainmakers which have the metallic tweeters.

Give them a listen. You will enjoy them!

Best regards,
Rafa.