Vinyl Newbies - this is in your topic to chime in

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Vinyl Newbies - this is in your topic to chime in
« Reply #220 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:34 am »
It's a good thing to remember there are additional expenses of record cleaning, stylus cleaning, and a carbon fiber brush and other do dads.  It's not exactly brain surgery, but set up separates the okay from the amazingly like music  with a good recording.  That's the intimidating news, and the good news - you have choices right from the beginning.  You might want DIY record cleaning with a $100 machine from Canada and your own vac, or an ultrasonic no tooth decay cleaner for $4K or so. 

If you learn the set up stuff from the get go you'll develop the confidence and knowledge to make intelligent choices and hear for yourself what you like.  The other side of that is audiofool itis - the race to the top $ spent, bragging rights etc. 
neo

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #221 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:41 am »
Just ordered my first turntable in over 25 years, a Rega RP-6 with Exact-2 cartridge.  Since my preamp doesn't have a phono stage, I also ordered a Rega Fono MM phono preamp. 

The cartridge will be factory installed so I don't think the setup should be too challenging.  In anticipation of this purchase I've bought about a dozen LP's to get started.

I don't have a record cleaning devices, not even a brush.

I expect the turntable to arrive Wednesday or Thursday.  Any newbie advice or suggestions for getting started would be welcomed. 

Bob
Don't be intimidated by set up. It's not as hard as some would lead you to believe. And, cleanliness IS next to godliness, and good sound.

Doc

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #222 on: 15 Mar 2016, 02:57 am »
A good brush, one for records, one for the stylus, and a cheap electronic tracking force gauge are essentials.  Here's a good little scale http://www.dx.com/p/ds-11-1-5-lcd-20g-0-001g-portable-mini-digital-scale-w-blue-backlight-black-silver-2-x-aaa-365665#.Vud2PnopAv4 I have a similar model.  Brushes are cheap, any carbon fiber record brush will do for starters.  I like the discwasher stylus brush, some like a softer, art brush type.  Good luck, have fun.

Robert212

« Reply #223 on: 18 Mar 2016, 01:56 am »
Sorry I didn't comment sooner but I've been busy fussing and listening.

I received the table yesterday.  Naturally I unpacked it and tried to set it up as soon as I got home from work.  Mercifully, the cartridge was factory installed.  I found the included instructions for setting up the tracking force and anti-bias somewhat lacking, at least for someone who's been out of analog as long as I have. I called my dealer, who walked me through it.  Later I found better instructions on the Rega website, and managed to fine tune it.  Initially, I'd set it too light and it was lifting on some records.  Now I think I've got it right.

I'm sure you all know this already but the sound is different, better, more natural and organic than even the best of my SACD's or high resolution DSD and FLAC files.  It's hard to describe the difference but it's there. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I'm really surprised how solid and weighty the base is with this table/arm/cartridge combination has.  My dealer didn't like the interconnects that I was using between the Fono MM and my BAT VK-30i, so he's sending me another brand to try, which he suggested would open up the highs more.  They don't sound "closed" to me now, but I'll report on them when I get them. 

I appreciate the comments and suggestions about the need for a record cleaner.  I'll need one soon; and a tracking force gauge to confirm that I've got it setup right. 

Between last night and tonight, I've listened to all of my meager vinyl collection, but more is on the way. 

Bottom line, no disappointments.  It was worth the wait and worth the investment.

Bob

Robert212

« Reply #224 on: 19 Mar 2016, 03:39 pm »
I just received new Chameleon Silver Plus interconnects, from The Chord Company, for the connection between the Fono MM and the BAT VK30.  They seem to have opened up the higher frequencies and evened out the frequency response compared to the MIT 330 cables I started with. 

I'm supposed to head upstate for dinner with a beautiful woman.  I should leave soon.  I may be late.

Bob

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
« Reply #225 on: 19 Sep 2016, 09:05 pm »
Smart people, is there a rule of thumb on $ spent on cart vs cost of turntable ? or go with the most expensive cart you can because the cart makes more difference to the sound than the TT ,no??
thanks
Scott

jupiterboy

« Reply #226 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:17 am »
Smart people, is there a rule of thumb on $ spent on cart vs cost of turntable ? or go with the most expensive cart you can because the cart makes more difference to the sound than the TT ,no??
thanks
Scott

Consider your arm the deciding factor, and get the best match that you can also afford to replace regularly.

Joetiii

« Reply #227 on: 4 Aug 2019, 04:57 pm »
I am resurrecting a Garrard Zero one hundred from Dad’s basement. I hooked it up and got a hum out of it so I used some deoxit and cleaned the cartridge contacts as well as the point where the RCAs connect underneath.The hum went away for a while, (think the AQ RCAs I replaced originals with are touching underneath) but the sound was good when working with no hum.
The other situation I discovered is the arm does not pickup and return to the stand when it finishes playing. Any thoughts on this?

My plan is to pull the platter off and lube the motor. Plus do other maintenance, while underneath it, I’d like to see if the auto return is an easy fix, or if It needs to go to someone more experienced?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #228 on: 4 Aug 2019, 09:34 pm »
The Garrard Zero 100 is the most Rube Goldberg contraption ever to be created in autoplay turntables. Oddly, when Garrard was having money trouble, they designed a turntable where if it need one part, they made it have eight instead. (look at just the platter. It has at least fifteen parts!) Anyway, I would say be careful under the hood. It may just be due to a weak spring. or a wrong spring. Or a slightly bent piece of the tin they used. If you have it on it's side. And move the arm.. you should be able to spot the moment it SHOULD be moving the lever to start the return contraption. Once you know what lever os the starter, I would try to activate it by hand.. and see if it will return the arm (then you know it COULD work vs it is all messed up)
The arm base (or somewhere near) should have a hole and under it a screw (or the screw visible. I forget) anyway, the screw moved the arm pickup point. If that is all it is. easy   :thumb:
More that that.. gets complex fast.