B135 vs Separates

Ryder35

Re: B135 vs Separates
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply. The generator is the Power inspired 1500, generally quite well regarded but who knows! I am picking up a pack of 10 fuses tomorrow so will be able to experiment. Not too bothered about the one off (though it is a bit annoying on new kit) as long as it is not a frequent occurrence.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2017, 08:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply. The generator is the Power inspired 1500, generally quite well regarded but who knows! I am picking up a pack of 10 fuses tomorrow so will be able to experiment. Not too bothered about the one off (though it is a bit annoying on new kit) as long as it is not a frequent occurrence.

Please email  Mike at mpickett@bryston.com

james

Ryder35

« Reply #42 on: 11 Feb 2017, 10:54 am »
Just a quick update. Changed out the fuse and everything seems to be working fine at them moment :)

Grant Hill

« Reply #43 on: 13 Feb 2017, 03:11 pm »
Hi Ryder,

how is the B135 doing so far? comparison with pre + 2.5cubed power amp?

Cheers

Ryder35

« Reply #44 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:09 pm »
Sound quality wise it is superb! Maybe a bit smoother/less defined at the bottom end than the BP26 and 2.5 cubed, but very little in it. Seems to need to be on a higher position on the volume knob... BP26 was typically between 25-40% this is between 35-50 depending on source. (listening at about 75db.

I am using a different DAC and phono stage so direct comparisons are hard but overall I am happy.

My only concern is how warm the front plate is getting (not too hot to touch but certainly quite warm) Is this normal James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:11 pm »
Sound quality wise it is superb! Maybe a bit smoother/less defined at the bottom end than the BP26 and 2.5 cubed, but very little in it. Seems to need to be on a higher position on the volume knob... BP26 was typically between 25-40% this is between 35-50 depending on source. (listening at about 75db.

I am using a different DAC and phono stage so direct comparisons are hard but overall I am happy.

My only concern is how warm the front plate is getting (not too hot to touch but certainly quite warm) Is this normal James?

Hi

Yes that is normal - the front plate is part of the heat-sinking.

james

Ryder35

« Reply #46 on: 13 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm »
Thanks James, that is a relief. I assume driving my Focal sopras (91db) 50% volume on vinyl is normal for about 75=78db in a 15x15 room? I am used to amps never needing to be turned above 40%. having said that a more progressive volume control is much easier to make adjustments too.

Grant Hill

« Reply #47 on: 13 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm »
Thanks for your feedback Ryder , glad you're enjoying it  :thumb:

martydmnt

« Reply #48 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:27 pm »
Thanks James, that is a relief. I assume driving my Focal sopras (91db) 50% volume on vinyl is normal for about 75=78db in a 15x15 room? I am used to amps never needing to be turned above 40%. having said that a more progressive volume control is much easier to make adjustments too.

My setting is between 12 and 1 o'clock using the internal MM phono stage on the B135 driving the Mini T's to 70-80 dB, if that's of any help. I wouldn't say it's out of line. I forget, does the Rega Aria have adjustable gain?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm »
Im intrigued by this topic.  I was on the fence with the B135 VS the pre power combo. I have been always told and heard to a degree separates sounding better in a comparison to a integrated amp.  BP26 and 2.5(3) is what I own but Im very happy with this combo

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:32 pm »
I wont get into a pissing match but many many times Ive heard from the company reps the BDA-2 sounds the same as the BDA-3 with less features.  Not true the BDA-3 is a better unit and defiantly has a more organic sound to it.  Ill leave that as is
I was just at someone's place where we compared the BDA-2 to the BDA-3, and the 4BSST to the 2.5B3. Clear significant differences in the sound between both the two DACs and the two amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:39 pm »
I was just at someone's place where we compared the BDA-2 to the BDA-3, and the 4BSST to the 2.5B3. Clear significant differences in the sound between both the two DACs and the two amps.

Interesting Neko - how would you describe the differences?

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:41 pm »
Which of the amps did you perfer?  More power or the new design

PierreB

« Reply #53 on: 25 Feb 2017, 08:01 pm »
I'm also very curious what differences you ear between the 4B and the 2.5B. Are the 4B the cube version???
What speakers does your friend have.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #54 on: 4 Mar 2017, 08:20 pm »
Apologies for the long delay in my reply.

Between the BDA-2 and BDA-3, the BDA-2 provides a warmer sound with less separation between notes. The BDA-3 is cleaner, more accurate, and more neutral but as a result drier to the ear. My personal preference would be the BDA-3, however his preference is the BDA-2. I was also expecting some differences in the soundstage, from my experience comparing the BDA-3 to other DACs. However I did not hear that at his place. But his room is more typical of what you'd find in a nicer home, whereas I have a heavily treated dedicated listening area, so that may have played a role.

Between the 4BSST (not Cubed) and 2.5B3 (Cubed), there was a similar sort of difference but the change along the "warmth" dimension was not as large. The 2.5B3 had much better detail retrieval and a more neutral and realistic presentation. I think the key is more realistic. We both preferred the 2.5B3.

In each scenario we used only one of the newer components. So it was either BDA-2 or BDA-3 with the 4BSST, or the BDA-2 with the 4BSST or 2.5B3.

I can't recall off the top of my head which speakers he had. It was a traditional dynamic speaker with a spec'd minimum impedance of 4 ohms, but higher than normal sensitivity, IIRC.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #55 on: 5 Mar 2017, 01:57 am »
^ This is what I find with my BDA-1 -- a touch of warmth. Not colored in any way, but compared to a DAC like Cambridge Audio, it's very musical and gets out of the way of the recording.