B135 vs Separates

Ryder35

B135 vs Separates
« on: 29 Jan 2017, 02:15 pm »
Hi

I am looking to demo some Bryston amps to replace my Devialet 400s. Reading up I notice that the B135 uses the internals from the BP17 and the 2.5 cubed. Is this correct? If so what makes the separates worth going for. There is a big price difference (over £2k in the UK) do they really sound the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: B135 vs Separates
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2017, 02:22 pm »
Hi

I am looking to demo some Bryston amps to replace my Devialet 400s. Reading up I notice that the B135 uses the internals from the BP17 and the 2.5 cubed. Is this correct? If so what makes the separates worth going for. There is a big price difference (over £2k in the UK) do they really sound the same?

Hi Ryder

Yes the B135 is in fact a BP17 and a 2.5 Cubed (as long as its a new version of the B135).  So separates just gives you more flexibility now and in the future if you want to make changes.

james

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2017, 02:24 pm »
Hi

What speakers are you using, how big is your room and what volume do you like to listen at? As a general rule more power from the same brand of amp generally means higher SPL's rather than a difference in SQ.

Ryder35

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2017, 03:05 pm »
Hi Thanks for the replies!

James, you may have just saved me £2k to spend on a DAC! Witchdoctor I am running Sopra No2 speakes in a room about 15x15 feet and usually don't listen too loud. I ran a Naim NAP 250 just fine to give some perspective.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2017, 03:28 pm »
If the power output of an integrated is sufficient for the speakers and room, then the fact that the preamp and power amp are not physically isolated in metal enclosures is more than offset by the direct connection between them versus multiple plug/jack interfaces and the effects interconnect cables can have on the sound.

Plus minimizing and downsizing the number of components is very often a cleansing and refreshing lifestyle experience.

Steve

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm »
Hi Thanks for the replies!

James, you may have just saved me £2k to spend on a DAC! Witchdoctor I am running Sopra No2 speakes in a room about 15x15 feet and usually don't listen too loud. I ran a Naim NAP 250 just fine to give some perspective.

These speakers have a 91db sensitivity so although they are large shouldn't require a lot of power to drive to satisfying levels. I think you will be very happy with whatever amp you choose, might as well save the $$$. What I would consider for both your amps and your speakers is proper vibration control. You might want to check out Herbie's circle here on audiocircle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=160.0

martydmnt

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2017, 03:09 pm »

I'm running a B135 SST2 into a pair of Mini T's, which you may or may not know are in the 80s range for sensitivity and a 4 ohm load. To hit 80-85dB in my 13'x20' room (speakers on long wall), I'm usually between the 11-1 o'clock position on the B135 volume depending on the source (CD or high output MC into the internal MM phono).

Grant Hill

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2017, 02:08 pm »
Hi All, are there some pictures of the new 135cubed?

I can only find pictures of the previous version, on Bryston website they say it will be available soon

Ryder35

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:32 pm »
So I borrowed a BP26 (that was all they had) and a 2.5 cubed from my dealer. Wow, I am staggered how good it sounds after 3 hours of listening. So much more detail that my devialet and much more involving. I love it! My question is, how much of a downgrade will the pre amp section in the 135 be? If it is in any way close I think I will be very happy. Seems like Bryston are one of the best kept secrets in the UK

srb

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:38 pm »
My question is, how much of a downgrade will the pre amp section in the 135 be?

None.  As James stated previously, the preamp section is the BP-17.

Ryder35

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:44 pm »
Sorry SRB; just edited my post...it is a BP26

Ryder35

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:52 pm »
Just to add I am only using the RCA unbalanced inputs

Grant Hill

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2017, 08:29 am »
So I borrowed a BP26 (that was all they had) and a 2.5 cubed from my dealer. Wow, I am staggered how good it sounds after 3 hours of listening. So much more detail that my devialet and much more involving. I love it! My question is, how much of a downgrade will the pre amp section in the 135 be? If it is in any way close I think I will be very happy. Seems like Bryston are one of the best kept secrets in the UK

that's a good question. it would be interesting to compare the new B135cubed with a combo 2.5cubed plus BP26 pre amp.

Grant Hill

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2017, 08:30 am »
Btw, did anyone tried the new B135cubed? I can't find much comments on the net, neither reviews

Ryder35

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2017, 08:34 am »
Btw, did anyone tried the new B135cubed? I can't find much comments on the net, neither reviews

Seems to be the unloved product in the line up as far as reviews go. ;)

My Consumerist conditioned brain finds it hard to believe that an integrated costing £2k less than the equivalent Separates can sound the same but I am willing to believe!

Would still like to know how the BP17 and 26 stack up though.

Grant Hill

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2017, 11:17 am »
Seems to be the unloved product in the line up as far as reviews go. ;)

My Consumerist conditioned brain finds it hard to believe that an integrated costing £2k less than the equivalent Separates can sound the same but I am willing to believe!

Would still like to know how the BP17 and 26 stack up though.

you're right

with regard to the pre amps, I believe the main difference between BP17 and BP26 is the BP26's external power supply... I might be wrong anyway

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:36 pm »
I believe the BP17 uses the same circuit topology/tech as their SP3 processor. I don't think the BP26 has that -- being an older model.

Grant Hill

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:19 pm »
Also, I believe B135cubed does not have balanced inputs while with a separate pre amp has

in the end, the combo BP17 + 2.5cubed gives you just more flexibility if you want to upgrade in the future and balanced connections compared to B135cubed, which costs about 2k less.

Please correct me if my assumption is wrong

Cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:11 pm »
^ True about bal in BP17 -- that's a fine preamp.
I think B135 still converts SE inputs to a "balanced" output -- just not a "true" differential balanced output (?) like with BP17 + bal input signals. (interestingly, BHA-1 converts SE input signals to balanced diff outputs at the headphone XLR jacks).

schmidtmike76

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:31 pm »
not always...yes more flexibility for the future with separates. A pre power combo in my young experience has always sounded better than a integrated when compared.  On the flip side you have more boxes and they cost more, that's where sound per pound comes in play.