Can JRiver be used to Control BDP-2

Phil A

Re: Can JRiver be used to Control BDP-2
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:03 pm »

But I guess the attraction would be to make use of time and energy already invested in organising and tagging your music via JRiver, and to take advantage of the JRemote interface which is quite a bit slicker than MPaD (or at least it seems that way based on my limited exposure to the latter) .

That is my main concern. Everything is tagged (I might need some cover art on some classical albums where I just have to verify what the correct picture is being pulled up or get the cover art and save it to a file to tag it) and I don't want to go through a process again as I have so many files.

lbkwhitney

« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2017, 07:55 am »
Now that JRiver has a Linux version, can it be used to control a BDP-2?

Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 5 Mar 2017, 10:05 am »

Larry

Hi larry

I do not think so but I will let Chris answer.

james

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2017, 03:18 pm »

Larry

Larry - welcome.  There's a bunch of things about JRiver all over the place - e.g. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/jriver-media-center-digital-living-network-alliance-needs-some-serious-work-24086/

If you read my posts either in this thread or others, one can see I like the interface. I find it really easy to use.  It allows one to playback files from memory and also has a setting to decode and cache (from my understanding stores it in a WAV capsule) the files.

I've been looking at new players to get off the Windows platform for probably over a year and would love to move onto something a bit better for audio sometime this year.  The system sounds great but if I can make it a bit better with a new player, I've reached the point I'm ready to look at different alternatives in the near term.

Grant Hill

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2017, 04:34 pm »
Hi guys, what is the point of using JRiver owning also the bdp2? BDP allows you to avoid using pc...
Is it only to have a graphically better interface?

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2017, 07:56 pm »
Hi guys, what is the point of using JRiver owning also the bdp2? BDP allows you to avoid using pc...
Is it only to have a graphically better interface?

My previous questions and from what I understand of the recent post is to use JRiver vs. Bryston's proprietary system.  So my intent as noted above "I've been looking at new players to get off the Windows platform" was the basis of why I asked about it.  James has already replied that the new OS to take advantage of the capabilities may be a year or more off.  Seems like lots of resources (it is their business though) to invest vs. something off the shelf from a company with lots of users that per their website "was founded in 1981," which makes the company over 35 years old.

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2017, 08:27 pm »
To clarify my comment about the OS, I was referring to the (64 bit one for the) BDP-3 - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148756.60

James' comment indicates the new OS for that is at least a year away.  A year and a half for example in computer technology is lots of time for new things to come out. 

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #27 on: 6 Mar 2017, 09:14 am »
My previous questions and from what I understand of the recent post is to use JRiver vs. Bryston's proprietary system.  So my intent as noted above "I've been looking at new players to get off the Windows platform" was the basis of why I asked about it.  James has already replied that the new OS to take advantage of the capabilities may be a year or more off.  Seems like lots of resources (it is their business though) to invest vs. something off the shelf from a company with lots of users that per their website "was founded in 1981," which makes the company over 35 years old.
For some unknown reason every audio manufacturer that has a streamer in its line is convinced that they MUST also create accompanying software for it. Only a few actually succeed in doing this right. Right now Roon appears to conquer some ground, but I think $500 for software is waaay overpriced. Photoshop is less than that.
Hardware manufacturers should first talk with software manufacturers to see how they can complement each others product and then create something perfect.
WinAmp was great. Small, everything worked. JRiver is great. Basically all one needs in a proper interface. Roon is too expensive, and requires a computer to always be on. It also alters the sound.

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:44 pm »
I agree. I've been looking for probably about a year and a half for something better than just a PC. I finally got JRiver sounding the same from either local hard drives or from the NAS. I'll definitely be getting something within the next year and have resigned myself to sound quality vs. both sound quality and the interface of my choice.

amsco15

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:10 am »
Found this older thread.  Would love a definitive answer.  I find JRiver to work really well as a DLNA server with a DLNA rendered (I currently use the PS Audio bridge in my direct stream DAC)...super reliable.  Does the BDP work as a renderer with JRiver as the server but playing music off the internal BDP hard drive .  I’m guessing yes.  Anyone using the BDP this way? 

Just to make it clear, I would have JRiver installed on another computer, it would just work as a DLNA server.  Ultimately, I anticipate a small nuc like machine on my network, always on and running just JRiver.

vonnie123

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:09 am »
I have a BDP-2.  As a renderer with the music stored in the iMac (server), I can use the BDP-2 as renderer via JRiver over the network to play music on the BDP-2 from the iMac.   I don't have an internal drive on the BDP-2, but the attached external SSD wouldn't load up for me so I can't fully answer your question as being able to use files on a drive connected to the Bryston.  I would use MPD for that in my setup.