Possible solution for Loose Nuts on Neopanels

Mike G

Possible solution for Loose Nuts on Neopanels
« on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:08 pm »
Hi;

I bought a pair of RM30 Series II that were 6 years old. I listened to them before I bought them but after I got them home they would buzz a little with certain frequencies. I searched this site and found a similar situation after searching under *crackling* where some one had loose nuts on the neopanels. Sure enough when I checked I had one very loose nut and only one nut was really tight. Even thought all the nuts had little lock washers on them they were still a little loose.

After tightening the nuts the buzz has disappeared. But I wanted a more permanent solution. So I ordered the following:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0184752?searchMode=productSearch&rfqXref=&rfqKeyword=&rfqId=&rfqLineId=&zipcode=&filterByStore=

I have used these washers before and they work. They are pricey but well worth the price. I ordered them in steel with zinc coating but they also have them in stainless which are very expensive. They are a perfect fit. (If you decide to do this do not order the Large OD as they may touch a trace on the little board that you do not want.)

If you decide to do this you must turn off amp, disconnect speakers, carefully remove each panel (you might need to pry them up a little from the area where the circuit board is, do not pry on the board, carefully pry on the metal) use a #1 screw driver and #4 nut driver to remove old nuts and replace the washers with new ones.

Happy Listening.
MGG