tires make a huge difference

MaxCast

Re: tires make a huge difference
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm »
Timely thread.  I am looking for new tires for a um, mini van. 
Besides consumers reports how do you find honest ratings of tires?
Thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:18 pm »
Timely thread.  I am looking for new tires for a um, mini van. 
Besides consumers reports how do you find honest ratings of tires?
Thanks

I have found the combo of Tire Rack's ratings coupled with actual user comments to be incredibly helpful.

George

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:25 pm »
thanks, George.  That is where I am at.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2017, 05:05 pm »
I have found the combo of Tire Rack's ratings coupled with actual user comments to be incredibly helpful.

George

^^^^THIS^^^^

The most useful comments are noise, grip, rain,
THe comments on tire wear can be off. So you need at least several such to form an opinion. Since different areas get different amounts of rain. (rain/water hardens the rubber) Plus heavy use early on wears the tire more than the same mile over several years (due to rubber being softer)
Also the composition of the road material changes tire wear. Some parts of the country use really smooth material, others rough material/

Like my Snow tires. Same mileage, same use. First Winter was twice the wear of BOTH the second AND third Winters together. Now I bet they last a few more before being past the 'ice' tread guarantee area.
So how long a tire lasts also depends on how much it is used BEFORE the rubber hardens a bit from rain/age, besides the wear rating given.

(want the tires to last longer? rinse them off every day the first six months.. if you live in a dry climate)

drphoto

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:38 am »
Thanks for the tips Elizebeth. BTW: Love the Focus ST (and the 'lil Fiesta ST) Very cool cars and lot of performance for the money.

Next upgrade.....brakes. Not going to spend big money for bigger rotors and calipers, but stock size performance rotors and performance street pads (along w/ fluid flush) Will report back.

I used to piss away my money on audio gear.....now it seems like it goes to auto part sites.  :o

I dunno....I hadn't driven a vehicle I actually enjoyed for 20+ years, they were all work trucks before.

coke

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2017, 01:11 pm »
I've been riding dirt bikes and ATVs off road for 20+ years, have competitively raced RCs both indoor and outdoor, and currently race mountain bikes.  I've learned that tires are key to going fast (along with properly set up suspension).

I bought a Fiesta ST earlier this year and later added a stage 1 kit.  It's my first car with dedicated summer tires, and it's so much fun in the corners.  I have a feeling they're not going to last long though, especially with how much torque this little car has.  Never would have imagined a 1.6L car could be rolling along in 2nd gear and easily spin the tires if given a little too much throttle  :lol: