C & C signal cabling?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
C & C signal cabling?
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:12 pm »
Can these systems afford any kind of "audiophile" cabling?

I'm old school, so in my $6000 USD system I still go cheap and have never spent more than $200 on any wire.  I've heard comparisons of $1000 speaker cable and could hear a difference but both had shortcomings.  So I still go cheap.

Here's a cheap source of high quality custom cables that I currently use throughout:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/

In a simple enough C & C system this could fit into the budget.

kip_

Re: C & C signal cabling?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm »
C&C Cable is from Monoprice or Blue Jeans imo. I've found that in my system interconnects make either very very minor or zero difference. YMMV of course.

raysracing

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 02:51 pm »
I may need some better cables soon as my system is so smalll now that I can use 1' or even shorter cables. SOme cables could be a few inches if I stacked the components. Amazing how tiny good equipment has become.

But at those small runs, does shielding, etc. matter as much?

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2012, 05:46 pm »
I'm not associated with Scott, just a satisfied customer (that moved up from Element Cable - another one of the popular/AA inspired designed cables, like Blue Jean).

For the price of most of the Blue Jean type cabling, Scott can provide custom length/terminations of some really nice cables.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2012, 05:36 am »
Wow, they look like some pretty kewl cabling for C&C prices.  Air/foil speaker cables and killer sounding digital cables?  I may have to give 'em a whirl.  Does Scott post here, the name seems familiar.  Or was it you that was using his attenuators and mentioned him b4?  Just curious.

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2012, 10:51 am »
I've promoted Scott here before as I use his interconnects, digital cable, and speaker cable (RCA, XLR, and really custom).  I also have used his stepped attenuators and still very much enjoy his $300 DAC mods (he has several options to choose from) for my Behringer DEQ2496 (which equaled my Eastern Electric DAC a year ago).

doug s.

• makin' music

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm »
Doug, those cables look like (different color) my Kimber Cable PBJ interconnects and 4Tc speaker cables.  The Scott Endler stuff is a couple of steps up from PBJ/4Tc.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:08 am »
Doug, those cables look like (different color) my Kimber Cable PBJ interconnects and 4Tc speaker cables.  The Scott Endler stuff is a couple of steps up from PBJ/4Tc.
actually, they are comparable to, or better than the kimber kcag ang kctg.  a bit of a difference.   :wink:

doug s.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:49 pm »
actually, they are comparable to, or better than the kimber kcag ang kctg.  a bit of a difference.   :wink:

doug s.

Not to doubt any statement that has been made, just asking for clarification here, but you are saying the $50 cables you recommended are comparable to $2,368.00 cables?  And a suggestion, not sure of your statement, that the $600 KCAG is comparable to the $2,368.00 KCTG?  Again, please don't take any offence as I'm in the camp that believes some of these cable prices charged are outlandish, but this would be earth shattering, or at least audio world shattering, news.

drjjpdc

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:50 pm »
I've been using the Paul Speltz Anti-Cable for my speakers. I don't care about some of my big buck audio buddies calling it cheap magnet or transformer wire that can't possibly be any good. I compared it to some other brand names and it did very well. At $10 a foot terminated or even cheaper in an unterminated full 100 foot roll for about $125, it is a great value.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2012, 05:47 pm »
Don't be too quick to knock 4TC.  It works very well when everything upstream is as good as can be.  PBJ on the other hand, while very good for those on a budget, can easily be bested by inexpensive silver interconnects.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
Not to doubt any statement that has been made, just asking for clarification here, but you are saying the $50 cables you recommended are comparable to $2,368.00 cables?  And a suggestion, not sure of your statement, that the $600 KCAG is comparable to the $2,368.00 KCTG?  Again, please don't take any offence as I'm in the camp that believes some of these cable prices charged are outlandish, but this would be earth shattering, or at least audio world shattering, news.

the $50 cables are the same material - pure silver - and construction as the kcag's.  the more expensive dogsplodge cables are 8 strand pure silver; the ktcg's are 6 strand.  i have never tried the expensive stuff; never will either.   8)

he will make any configuration you want; not yust what's shown on ebay.  if you want spendy "brand-name" connectors, i am sure you can get those as well.  what he's listing now:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dogsplodge/m.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230754032530

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230751989189

ymmv,

doug s.

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm »
I'm with you Doug, I'll never buy any of those super expensive cables.

Thanks for the heads up and the additional info.   :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:53 am »
And to be completely fair at these prices it really doesn't matter if they beat $2368.00 cables, if they're as good or better than the $600.00 KCAG they're still a bargain.  (Which basically goes for all the cables mentioned on this thread)  I read through the eBay listing for the dogsplodge and regular, he has the same testimonials listed on both, but on there the line was compared to VDH The First Carbon at about $260, Chord Cobra about $50, and Goertz Sapphire also $260.  I'm perfectly willing to take on faith that they are indeed better than these interconnects, still making them a wonderful C&C bargain.

I own some $600 cables, I've tried some $1000 cables in my system, and I've heard some of the mega buck lines under less than ideal conditions, dealers and shows.  I also own some $150 cables that are almost as good as the $1000 ones I auditioned.  The mega buck cables were better, but not in direct relation to the increased cost, $5000 cables don't get you $4000 better sound.  You get an added 10 or 15% lushness, detail, bass impact, whatever.  For some this may be worth it, for me I'm gonna try some of the suggestions on this thread.

Delta Wave

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm »
They look pretty nice, I may have to give that speaker cable a try.

I just finished making a whole set of balanced cables w/gold Neutrik connectors & copper Mogami cable. I think my whole cost was less than $40 for all of the parts from a local electronic shop.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:20 pm »
And to be completely fair at these prices it really doesn't matter if they beat $2368.00 cables, if they're as good or better than the $600.00 KCAG they're still a bargain.  (Which basically goes for all the cables mentioned on this thread)  I read through the eBay listing for the dogsplodge and regular, he has the same testimonials listed on both, but on there the line was compared to VDH The First Carbon at about $260, Chord Cobra about $50, and Goertz Sapphire also $260.  I'm perfectly willing to take on faith that they are indeed better than these interconnects, still making them a wonderful C&C bargain.

I own some $600 cables, I've tried some $1000 cables in my system, and I've heard some of the mega buck lines under less than ideal conditions, dealers and shows.  I also own some $150 cables that are almost as good as the $1000 ones I auditioned.  The mega buck cables were better, but not in direct relation to the increased cost, $5000 cables don't get you $4000 better sound.  You get an added 10 or 15% lushness, detail, bass impact, whatever.  For some this may be worth it, for me I'm gonna try some of the suggestions on this thread.

Everyones experience will be different as each system is different. Synergy is the key in cabling. One must try in ones system before an opinion can be had.
   There is No best only what is best for your system. For example if my system was a bit on the lean side adding silver will enhance that. Addng copper cables will balance the sound. One is not better than the other just different. A cble can sound fine in one system but not another.  Then there are trade offs. No cable does it all. Pricing is another issue.
   Assume nothing. Hands on experience is the only true way.. Have fun trying.

charles

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:42 pm »
IMO the term synergize gets bantered around too much.  Most of the time (not you Charles) synergy amounts to counteracting (covering/hiding) one "flavor" with another and not really optimizing.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:37 pm »
for me, the goal w/cabling is the utmost in transparency/neutrality.  that's why i like silver.  to me, it is the most neutral, transparent sounding.  it simply conducts electricity better than copper.  i am not sold on the typical "copper being warm", "silver being lean" definitions of cabling.  i think this labeling has come about simply due to the color of the metal.   8)  if you want more neutral transparent copper wire, then go for as pure as you can find, and continuous cast, not machined.  i would rather try for "system synergy" w/the gear and the speakers, than w/the wires - neutral/transparent wires are what i want, no "flavoring", if i can awoid it.

for me, i am sold on the dogsplodge products, and on alphacore micropurl ag and tq2-ag.  the only caveat for me re: the alpha-core products is that they are (relatively) expensive, and i would only buy them used.  but these cables are wery transparent and neutral, imo, so i don't bother worrying about trying to find other cable "flavors".

but, as always in things audio -

ymmv,

doug s.