Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters: Kaboom!

Phil

Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters: Kaboom!
« on: 11 Nov 2009, 08:49 pm »
This is the second "quantum" filter from the mind and hand of Alan Maher I've tried.  Since I'm assuming that diminishing returns always apply - my system already includes quite a few of Alan's filters - I was expecting a modest effect.  And it was modest when the filter resided on the speaker.  It sat there for five weeks breaking in. 

On Alan's advice, I switched the filter to the amp and waited a few days.  Kaboom!  Instant holographic soundstage.  In other words, the quantum SC excels at spatial information.  But not just the sound of the venue, it also reveals the individual space occupied by different instruments.  Along with the filter's benefits to timbre, the filter provides an organic, very natural, fleshed-out view of instruments.  Well, not a view, since it is more like just listening to live music. 

That said, you do need to feed it a good signal.  While my source/preamp was being upgraded (a whole other story - Alex Paychev is a genius), a DVD was the source.  Awful stuff.  But, feed a good signal and the gains are considerable. 

Needless to say, the speaker cable works wonderfully with the Quantum AC filter (now called the studio, I believe).  This is really good stuff.  Too good to keep to oneself.

Big Red Machine

Re: Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters: Kaboom!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:28 pm »
Phil, when you said you waited a few days, did that mean the system was running constantly before critically listening, or ?

I wonder how he puts the Bybees in there and still crosses the two terminals like that?  I ask because I have Bybees here and wonder if they could work with the Infinity version.

Phil

Re: Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters: Kaboom!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm »
BRM,

No, the system was not playing constantly those few days.  Not sure how the settling in process works since it doesn't make sense to me.  To break in the bybees, however, takes a long time and, yes, music has to be flowing through them.  I believe sufficient break-in of the bybees occured while on the speakers and that the amp side only needed settling in, whatever that is.  Hey, I don't get the logic/science, but I do get the great effect.

I read a review from someone who uses the infinity SC and has bybees installed on the drivers themselves.  He reported fantastic results with the combination.  In fact, that review convinced me to try the Quantum instead of the infinity.  Seems like the SC filters can be used at either end (speaker/amp) or both.  That might be interesting too.