Alan Maher's new Infinity DIY filter

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
Re: Alan Maher's new Infinity DIY filter
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:56 pm »
Philistine-
Looks great!  Did the soundstage collapse? 

Philistine

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:25 pm »
Philistine-
Looks great!  Did the soundstage collapse?

Jen,
Thanks for the green light on the correct installation - this will also serve as a guide to others on placement position.

In terms of soundstage collapse: what I heard was retainment of a central image focus with a slight effect of left and right images being out of phase - maybe the same effect as soundstage collapse but a different way of describing it?  As others have posted I do notice an immediate smoothness in the top end.

Next question relates to the positioning of other DIY Filters, in terms of what to expect by adding others and were to get best value from them? 

Phil

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:32 am »
Not much to add to the original post which says it all, but I will say that this little filter (now called the infinity CBF) work perfectly with Alan's other filters, specifically the Quantum AC.

The infinity seems to deepen the beneficial effects of the Quantum filter (I didn't think that was possible).

Specifically, it deepens the bass significantly (didn't think my speakers went that low) and generally adds more weight and body to instruments.  Spatial information is also improved, as is tonality.  Can you do better for $25?  I don't think so. 

This little experiment makes me realize just how much junk finds its way into components.  The infinity is well worth trying.  Mine is taped over the bottom outlet of the amp's dedicated line.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:13 am »
Philistine-
Phil said it much better than I could... next application is 3M mounting taped over the spare receptical of the AV duplex.  You can expect the same effect he had at the same location.  After that, pick up two more and add it to the AC and IEC shell of the main power cord.  A good tip is to remove the crystal from inside the box, pour it inside the Wattgate-style AC and IEC shell for an additional 10-15% improvement.  From there, you can add them to every power cord that allows.  You can also use them inside components - we recommend them over the transformer(s) or choke(s), other folks tell us they place it directly on the processor chips of their digital players and receive supurb results.  Each AC addition will yield additional benefits, and each application does something different.  Circuit breaker deals with soundstage size, receptacle intensifies the sound quality, and the AC/IEC provides a purer tone to the musical presentation. The upcoming wire-in increases detail and further enhances tonal reproduction. 

Enjoy!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2009, 01:06 pm »
Phil-
One additional question regarding the CBF install... did you notice improved quality on the video?

Phil

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2009, 02:18 am »
Jen,

My two-channel system does not include video.  My wife is in charge of the video (it is in another room).   :D

The video does benefit, however, from a PE1.   

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2009, 07:40 am »
Thanks, Phil.  If you were nice, for Christmas, you would buy your wife a PE V for the video   :D

speyer

« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:20 am »
Phil,

Did you remove the Shakti stones or leave them in place after you installed the cbf?

Phil

« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:14 am »
Jen,

Good suggestion.  But I might get her a new TV first.

Phil