Another review of Alan Maher Designs Reference II filter

cporada

Having played around with Alan’s standard power enhancers and his PE V Pro Custom, I thought I was fairly familiar with what to expect when inserting one of his devices.  Normally, one expects a period of time during which the sound is noticeably worse and one wonders whether they have made the right choice in inserting the filter or not.  With the PE V Pro, this was a very long period of time, before the sound settled and changed for the better.  I recently had the chance to try out Alan’s newest offering, the Reference II.  Being quite happy with the sound of my system now that the PE V Pro had settled, I hesitated plugging in the Ref II, fearing that period during which the sound degraded.  Much to my delight, I found the Ref II to be a completely different beast altogether.  The PE Pro took a lot of faith to keep it plugged in after hearing what the system sounded like for the first week or so after its installation.  The Ref II, once I had picked the right circuit, happily settled in within a couple of days, never really causing that same period of bad sound to get the good sound afterwards.  Rather, things started sounding better right from the get go.  The changes with this filter were a bit more subtle than those with the PEV Pro, but are significant, nonetheless, since they occur in the important area of naturalness of the sound being reproduced.  Instruments have more “body” and the sound is, for lack of a better word, more “ripe” sounding.  This is especially apparent with string instruments and low brass.  More of the lower harmonics that give weight and body to the instruments seem to be present with the Ref II in place.  In the case of the cello, the sound doesn’t come from a flat plane anymore, but seems to come from a resonating 3-dimensional wooden instrument.  These changes make listening infinitely more pleasurable and lifelike.  Overall, I am thrilled with the improvements wrought by adding the Ref II filter to my system (system here meaning the electrical system of my house, since at Alan’s advice, the Ref II is installed in a non-audio circuit).  Even after being in the circuit for 2 weeks, things continue improving a bit each day, with the sound becoming more and more lifelike. Every CD sounds better and much more emotionally involving than before the Ref II.  Even CD’s I would cringe to listen to before are now quite enjoyable, with the Ref II having further reduced that upper frequency haze that can plague digital playback, especially when the CDs are poorly recorded.  The Ref II is a clear winner, and at the price Alan is asking, it’s nothing short of a steal!
Chris

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Another review of Alan Maher Designs Reference II filter
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2009, 08:17 pm »
Great review....the non-audio circuit experiment is great way to demonstrate the strength of the filter design to our clients.  Adding a few more around the home will provide more of a kick in natural reproduction and stereo separation.  Please report back in another week to describe the overall change in details and tonal hues.

cporada

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 11:08 pm »
Hi Alan
So, if I want more of the richness and timbral accuracy the one Ref II brought, would I be better off putting a few more of those around the house rather than 193L's or standard PE's, or is this still a combination thing that I should have some of each of these things in different places?
Chris

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:28 am »
I would shoot for 2 to 3 more Reference II's to be installed instead of the PE if you want to increase warmth.

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:05 am »

Chris, I completely agree and would like to commend Alan for a remarkable product. I am getting more weight to instruments and as a bonus,  when I make a change its immediate.  What surprised me its a significant improvement over the PEIV in the areas described in the review. The 3-D change is what makes this a steal.

Luis

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2009, 08:22 am »
Luis

Thank-you.

What we attempted to do is roll all the goodies of the PE, II, III, and IV into one package when designing the Reference II.  The Reference II offers a major leap forward in PE technology / tonal quality at a more affordable price.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2009, 01:09 pm »
Update: Reference II ready to ship.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:35 am »
Chris

How does the filter sound now that it has a couple extra weeks under it's belt?

cporada

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:11 am »
Hi Alan
Sorry I haven't posted follow-up impressions sooner; work has been killing me lately, so I haven't had much time to listen  :(
I do have one very informative experience from the other day, however, which I think speaks volumes about what the Ref II can do for one's system.  The other evening, I was listening to Janos Starker playing the Bach suites for Cello.  I had my eyes closed and was marveling at the unbelievable dimensionality and timbral improvements that the Ref II had wrought from my system.  It was like he was sitting in our family room playing.  You could actually visualize the cello, the chair, and Starker all in 3-D space.  It was unlike anything I had ever experienced from stereo sound.  Unfortunately, there was this annoying heavy breathing coming from the space in front of me which I knew had to be one of our dogs who always joins me for my listening sessions and usually falls asleep.  I tried to ignore it, but finally huffed and opened my eyes to see if I could get the dog to move elsewhere and stop making so much noise.  When I opened my eyes, I realized the dog was nowhere to be seen.  The heavy breathing I was hearing was that of Janos Starker!  Upon closer listening, I noted the breathing was perfectly synced with the musical phrases.  That's the first time I've ever been fooled by my own stereo system into thinking a sound was coming from the inhabitants of the room rather than the stereo! 
All I can say is WOW!  I haven't had this much fun listening to music since when I was a kid and didn't know anything about good quality sound.  I could just get completely caught up in the music and forget about the stereo.
Thanks Alan for making such phenomenal products.
Chris

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:01 pm »
Chris

Good to hear...the Reference II should start to slow down the break-in process around 5 weeks.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2009, 11:43 am »
I am placing 1 more order for the Reference II's today before I take off, please reserve your order as soon as possible, the Reference II sells out quickly with advanced orders.

Email for more info: alanpmaher@alanmaherdesigns.com

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2009, 09:29 am »
Update: Only a few Reference II filters left in stock.  The next time I will be offering the Reference II will be early July.