Westone W40 -- best jogging headphone?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Westone W40 -- best jogging headphone?
« on: 19 Sep 2014, 05:59 pm »
I hope so.  I just got a used pair on e-bay from a guy who has 100% feedback.  Since it's only been in the market for a year I figure used isn't too bad if well taken care of.  I am sure I can replace the part that goes into my ear or at least sanitize the silicone buds if my size was used.  I have to exercise regularly to keep my blood sugar in check if I want to keep enjoying red wine.  So, I am doing my best to make the running, biking and what not as enjoyable as possible.

What do you think of the W40s?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Westone W40 -- best jogging headphone?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2014, 06:37 pm »
How about customs?

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2014, 11:51 pm »
Hi Woodsyi,

I'd definitely replace the the buds with new one's.  Do you have any headphone stores where you live?  Or perhaps try the below link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-M-LB-Triple-Flange-Replacement-Eartips-Earbuds-for-Westone-Earphones-/321479199342?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item4ad9a74a6e

Regards Rod

audiogoober

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2014, 01:12 pm »
I love my W40's for running and biking!

I had a pair of the Westone 4s headphones for about 2 years. Used every day, and subject to a lot of perspiration and debris they worked flawlessly for nearly two years. One day the output on one channel was lower. After following their cleaning instructions with no success, I called Westone. They advised me their warranty had expired,  but asked me to ship the 4s to their HQ in Colorado. 

Two weeks later,  a new pair of W40's arrived at my door with a bill for $0.

The new W40's have been used daily for about 3 months and I love them.....

Westone customer service is A+ in my book.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:07 pm »
I've never heard Westover IEM's but my curiosity about them keeps me watching.
Some of new hybrids I am starting to see really interest me.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:41 am »
I love my W40's for running and biking!

I had a pair of the Westone 4s headphones for about 2 years. Used every day, and subject to a lot of perspiration and debris they worked flawlessly for nearly two years. One day the output on one channel was lower. After following their cleaning instructions with no success, I called Westone. They advised me their warranty had expired,  but asked me to ship the 4s to their HQ in Colorado. 

Two weeks later,  a new pair of W40's arrived at my door with a bill for $0.

The new W40's have been used daily for about 3 months and I love them.....

Westone customer service is A+ in my book.

Customer service like that really scores a lot of points with me. Every so often i toy with the idea of picking up another pair of IEMs, and I seem to always flirt with the Westones...sounds like they really take care of their customers.

steve in jersey

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:31 pm »
Westone is very serious about providing just about any kind of "In-Ear" product you can think of. (IEMs,ear plugs,hearing-aids...etc.)

They can not only be found through on-line retailers,but you can find them from an extensive network of hearing care professionals (Where
you can have molds taken of your ear canals sent to Westone so they can make you Custom - Fitting IEMs.)

Years ago before I discovered that my ear canals just have too high a sensitivity to tolerate any thing other than earplugs in them for
over 3hrs or so, I went the custom fit route. They were absolutely the ultimate "noise isolation" product I'd ever tried . The funny thing is that unless you are using "custom fits" for studio work ,you probably should'nt use them if you care to have any awareness of "anything"going on "outside of your Noggin"

The Non Custom Fit series are as good as just about any other available IEMs out (better balanced than most). If I were still interested in
portable listening I know I would look at the Westones first (Shure maybe second) for high qualitiy IEMs. Knowing me though, I would end up looking at a $3k or better portable rig. I just remind myself of my sensitive ear canals & I'm fine, that is until I notice someone using a nice portable rig. (walk away , Steve ...)  :roll:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:36 am »
I just came back from an hour of running. I don't know if it's the 4 drivers or not but W40 has the clearest vocals I have ever heard on a sport ear bud.  I haven't heard a lot but a few under $100 range ear buds both wired and bluetooth don't come anyway near the clarity I get from W40.  First I thought the treble driver was not working on the W40 but it was really the case of full midrange which I didn't have on the other ear buds.  Treble is there on W40 but it is not tipped up and is in balance with the rest.  Westone with their hearing aid expertise has got the voices down pat.  I am singing along to words that come across clean.  Good bass too. :thumb:  This is just from ALAC on iPod.  Can't wait to hear what hires on a DAP will do.