What am I missing with my Sapphire III

Capt. Z

What am I missing with my Sapphire III
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »
I bought my Sapphire speakers in the early 90's, way back when they came with the Kevlar tweeter. I did upgrade to the Focal diaphragm and than to the SS tweeter, to turn my Sapphire II into Sapphire III.

I know that the Newer Sapphire Speaker no longer uses the Focal mid-bass driver but an Scan Speak driver, which delivers lower bass.

However, I am wondering how my Sapphire III differ in sound to the newer Sapphire speakers.

For subs I do use two ACI Sub one, which I converted into Titans, but with a more powerful amp.

kimchee411

Re: What am I missing with my Sapphire III
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:27 am »
As an owner of both the Sapphire III and Sapphire XL I can tell you with confidence that the Sapphire XL just takes it to a new level.  Smoother, more natural, more transparent, lower, deeper, richer bass, more detail -- a considerable improvement across the board.  The Sapphire XL is a remarkable speaker, especially at its price point.

The sonic signatures are different, though, IMO.  The Sapphire III can be a little "hot" up top and a bit forward.  The XL, never.  It's very smooth and easy to listen to, without sacrificing openness and detail, with a laid back presentation.

HTH.

Capt. Z

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:02 am »
Thanks for the comparison.
Can't really hear the hot on top with the Scan Speak tweeter. The old Focal tweeter could sound hot . Then I used a Scan Speaker 9500 in my II to III conversion, and not the Scan Speak 9300 that came with the upgrade kit.
I may say that my Sapphire III leans slightly to the natural - lean side.
Also I am using tubes in the Source and amplification.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm »
I agree totally with Kimchee . . .  as good as the Sapphire III is, the XL series is just better in almost every way. Closer to live music  . . .

As I was preparing for retirement from audio, I knew I just had to keep the last two pairs for myself, there was no way I was giving them up!

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:17 pm »
I agree that the Sapphire are something special. Guess that's why I have mine now for about 20 years, and I will keep them much longer.

However, They have not had much playing time in the past, since I have my new Hornshoppe Horns. Now, wide bandwith, single drivers are much different than a cross-over design, and there are moments I need the Sapphire, especially for classical music.

Wished another Sapphire owner with newer Sapphires lived close by and I could listen to them.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:47 pm »

Wished another Sapphire owner with newer Sapphires lived close by and I could listen to them.

Hear them, and I bet you'll buy them  :D

Capt. Z

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:51 pm »
If money was no object and if I was not married and without kids I may just would do that.  :icon_lol:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm by Capt. Z »