Prosumer Coffee Machine

Philistine

Prosumer Coffee Machine
« on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:21 pm »
I lived in Milan for a few years and have to start the day with an authentic cappuccino.  My first machine was a Baby Gaggia and then migrated to a Rancilio Silvia - the classic home barista machine.  Over the years I added a PID controller to the boiler, upgraded the steam wand to the current articulating version and upgraded the steam knob.  It's served me well for over 12 years:

I decided to 'upgrade' it and spent 6 months procrastinating on spending the money and which model to buy.  I was looking for a double boiler (coffee boiler and steam boiler) and E61 group head.  Narrowed it down to 3 different machines but finished up with a Profitec Pro 700 which I bought from Whole Latte Love (great service and advice).  It's a great machine that deserves all the accolades it gets, a significant step up from the Silvia and I now make even better espresso and cappuccino.

I thought the Profitec would be too big but it worked out fine, here's the two side by side:

Meicheng

Re: Prosumer Coffee Machine
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:28 pm »
I'll be right over! 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:53 pm »
I have a friend that just bought his own bean roaster.  I laughed until I had a cup.... I still use a cast iron skillet like the cowboy.

Looks good and here is too that first cup of the day we all crave :thumb:

Alan

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2016, 08:10 pm »
I have a friend that just bought his own bean roaster.  I laughed until I had a cup.... I still use a cast iron skillet like the cowboy.

I've got it bad, started with a FreshRoast and now use a Behmor.  I've had friends over that prefer Charbucks coffee - a great business model: buy crappy beans, over roast them to eliminate the real character of the beans and then add as much crap as possible to completely eliminate the coffee taste and jack up the profit  :scratch:

loki1957

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2016, 08:26 pm »
I've got it bad, started with a FreshRoast and now use a Behmor.  I've had friends over that prefer Charbucks coffee - a great business model: buy crappy beans, over roast them to eliminate the real character of the beans and then add as much crap as possible to completely eliminate the coffee taste and jack up the profit  :scratch:

+1

syzygy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2016, 08:47 pm »
Still using my Sylvia after many years, but now you gots me looking. Thanks, I think.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:22 am »
I inherited a Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Great machine. It requires $100 worth of maintenance every 5 years. Luckily there is a factory repair station a few miles down the road. That and the Rancilio Rocky keep me in espresso heaven.

bummrush

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:28 am »
Looks nice.
Latest purchase for me is a Bonavita coffee maker.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:35 am »
How this machine works?
What kind of coffee it use, milled/capsule?

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:39 am »
I like it!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:57 am »
I've been thinking about moving on from my Gaggia Baby.  Interested in selling the Rancilio?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2016, 05:40 pm »
This is timely. I've had a Miss Sylvia for about 5 years now. I'm really happy with it, too.

However, I've spent the last few days searching for a suitable espresso machine to take to Taiwan. I plan to wrap it in foam inside a suitcase. [Espresso machines are very expensive in Taiwan.] I've been thinking of buying a Gaggia Classic. It's a step down from the Sylvia IMO, but it's better suited to smuggling inside a suitcase.

Your (OP's) new machine is a natural step up from the Miss Sylvia. Enjoy!

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2016, 05:57 pm »
 :D  dam !!!!  that's a machine !!!!  i still use an Aeropress ,   ha  :D

Philistine

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2016, 02:03 pm »
:D  dam !!!!  that's a machine !!!!  i still use an Aeropress ,   ha  :D

I use an Aeropress for regular coffee - it's equivalent to vinyl :D

Philistine

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2016, 02:09 pm »
I've been thinking about moving on from my Gaggia Baby.  Interested in selling the Rancilio?

I'll PM you.

If anyone has a Silva the best improvement you can make is to add a PID controller, the temperature with the Silvia is all over the place, with the PID it's rock steady and gives you a more consistent shot.  I got mine from Auber Instruments:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

decal

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2016, 03:44 pm »

Panera is even worse!!!!!!

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2016, 04:39 pm »
I bought a Saeco Aroma about 8 years ago, and it's been making Cappuccino's every morning since. I usually have two. Not one problem with the machine over that time.

I looked at a lot of bean grinders at the time, and everyone seemed to want me to buy one of the Italian units. Instead I bought the KitchenAid one, glass coffee bowl (no static), was inexpensive (Costco online) and works perfectly.

It was out of production around the time I bought mine ... I think for about $80 ... but it's back in the catalog now. Highly recommended; it grinds my expresso and my drip grind beans with a quick turn of the dial. Fully adjustable burrs.

This One:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2016, 04:42 pm »
This is timely. I've had a Miss Sylvia for about 5 years now. I'm really happy with it, too.

However, I've spent the last few days searching for a suitable espresso machine to take to Taiwan. I plan to wrap it in foam inside a suitcase. [Espresso machines are very expensive in Taiwan.] I've been thinking of buying a Gaggia Classic. It's a step down from the Sylvia IMO, but it's better suited to smuggling inside a suitcase.

Your (OP's) new machine is a natural step up from the Miss Sylvia. Enjoy!

Double Check, but I think Taiwan is 220V 50 Hz Make sure whatever you buy will work there.

EDIT:
Hmmmm ... apparently not. Must be the only place in Asia that isn't.

roscoe65

« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2016, 09:46 pm »
Double Check, but I think Taiwan is 220V 50 Hz Make sure whatever you buy will work there.

EDIT:
Hmmmm ... apparently not. Must be the only place in Asia that isn't.

Japan is 100V, 50Hz.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:45 pm »
According wiki Taiwan is 110V.
Taiwan    A, B       110 V    60 Hz
Sockets in older buildings are often unearthed and accept only Type A plugs.