What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?

OzarkTom

Re: What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Dec 2016, 02:07 am »
My wife switched to 100% copper pans and is very happy. She says they are non-stick. But. Do your homework, not all copper pans are 100% copper

rpf

« Reply #41 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:31 am »
Scanpan, a Danish company, makes a ceramic titanium/stainless steel (induction friendly) non-stick line without PFOAs (the potentially toxic chemical found in cheap non-stick pans). They supposedly can be used with metal utensils (just to be safe, I don't), and are oven safe to 500 degrees. I've had mine for several years now and they've held up well. The downside is that they're expensive. I use All-Clad stainless for everything except sautéing/frying.

http://www.scanpan.com
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2017, 01:42 pm by rpf »

brooklyn

« Reply #42 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:41 am »
Non-stick pans are meant to be used with medium heat and never put them in the dishwasher.
If you follow those rules, you can get a couple of years out of one pan. I replace my non-stick
pan every two years whether it needs it or not and I only use it at breakfast time. I use stainless
steel pots and pans for everything else. Some I’ve had for many years..

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:56 am »
If you're mainly wanting a pan for eggs and omelettes I say get a reasonably heavy teflon pan in the $20 range and call it good.  I bought eight Vollrath teflon saute pans for work just over a year ago (IIRC they were $16 each) just for omelettes.  We only do brunch on Sundays but I might do thirty or forty omelettes in the course of the morning.  They're still like new.  The trick is to never use them for anything but eggs, use just rubber or silicon spatulas and hand wash them carefully.

Carbon steel or cast iron is awesome but they can be a lot of work.  Personally I think just getting a decent nonstick and using it one eggs is the way to go.  Teflon is probably pretty safe if you don't overheat it.  My luck with ceramic/"green" pans has been abysmal; none of them seem to last for more than a few uses even if I baby 'em.  YMMV of course, and I haven't tried every brand.

Calphalon makes pretty good nonsticks and one or two good pans should last you for many years of egg cooking.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:59 am »
Oh, and just use butter.  No spray, butter. If you like bacon grease can be substituted, even lard or duck fat.  Coconut oil also works well and compliments eggs nicely.

borism

« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2016, 01:58 pm »
There is a new company - Field - making smooth surface and relatively lightweight cast iron pans. They were on Kickstarter and have a positive review in the NY Times:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

The pan is more expensive but should last a lifetime. I still think it is a good alternative to inexpensive non-stick.

RPM123

« Reply #46 on: 30 Dec 2016, 04:14 pm »
http://www.fox4news.com/news/consumer/140060942-story

The "Red Copper" pan looks like the real deal!

putz

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jan 2017, 02:06 am »
Anyone tried the TeChef pans available from Amazon? Reviews look good and are legit per Fakespot. About $35 to $40 for a 12".

SoCalWJS

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2017, 02:10 am »
Scanpan, a Danish company, makes a ceramic titanium/stainless steel non-stick line without PFOAs (the potentially toxic chemical found in cheap non-stick pans). They supposedly can be used with metal utensils (just to be safe, I don't), and are oven safe to 500 degrees. I've had mine for several years now and they've held up well. The downside is that they're expensive. I use All-Clad stainless for everything except sautéing/frying.

Visited a very good friend over Thanksgiving who had a Scanpan (she has a bunch of All Clad and gave me one as a present - she's thinning out her pans) and swears by it. I only cooked on it once while I was there, but was impressed enough that I priced them. A bit pricey, but maybe next Christmas..... :green:

Syrah

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jan 2017, 11:48 am »
I'm disinclined to get anything that can't do induction.  I don't have induction now (except for a single portable burner) but I hope to make that move when my halogen stove dies.

rpf

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jan 2017, 01:43 pm »
I'm disinclined to get anything that can't do induction.  I don't have induction now (except for a single portable burner) but I hope to make that move when my halogen stove dies.

The Scanpan CTX line (at least) has a stainless steel bottom that can be used on induction ranges.

ctviggen

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2017, 03:24 pm »
Scanpan, a Danish company, makes a ceramic titanium/stainless steel (induction friendly) non-stick line without PFOAs (the potentially toxic chemical found in cheap non-stick pans). They supposedly can be used with metal utensils (just to be safe, I don't), and are oven safe to 500 degrees. I've had mine for several years now and they've held up well. The downside is that they're expensive. I use All-Clad stainless for everything except sautéing/frying.

We also use a scanpan.  It works really well, and we've had it for a while with no evidence of surface loss.  Our other pans are all stainless, except for some cast iron.  To me, it's worth it to buy good pans.  I've had some of these pans longer than my oldest child (9) has been alive. 

smata67

« Reply #52 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:58 am »
Analon makes good value non-stick pans.  You can also check out your local Marshalls or TJMaxx for name brand loose pans.  Thick aluminum with a branded Teflon covering suffice.  More important is what you drop into it.