What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?
« on: 7 Mar 2013, 10:25 am »
Hi guys,

1st time participating in this Circle.  I'm not a master chef, just a cooker....  So here goes.  You see infomercials on TV of this (kind of) new pan being pitched for like $20 (+ shipping).  Are they any good.  They even say it doesn't contain certain chemicals.... etc....  I'm tempted to order one, since it's so inexpensive.  Don't want to spend $100 for a 10-inch pan for omlettes and pancakes (pretty much what I do with it!).  What's your recommendation for a truly non-stick, not so expensive, pan?  I need a 10" or so one.

Thanks for any guidance/comment; appreciate any help :thumb:.

Sam

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:39 am »
Every kitchen should have one good non-stick fry pan. Unfortunatly it's going to cost you $100. Cheap ones are just that, cheap.

Doc

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:59 am »
Check to see if you have a restaurant supply house in your area. If you have a Sam's Club or Costco, they carry restaurant supplies that will not break the bank. Couple of options for you.

Good Luck,
JCarney

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm »
Every kitchen should have one good non-stick fry pan. Unfortunatly it's going to cost you $100. Cheap ones are just that, cheap.

Doc

Ouch!  Thanks.  Will shop around.

Syrah

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm »
America's Test Kitchen did a cheap non-stick shootout and I think T-fal did pretty well.  I just bought a Paderno with a white coloured non-stick coating (I forget the material) and it's working out pretty well.  But for a limited budget - go cast iron!  Once it's well seasoned it is a no-stick pan and unlike t-fal type coatings you can't overheat it, damage it with metal, scrub off the coating, etc.  It has great heat distribution and it's perfect for pancakes.  And iron is actually good for you.  There are plenty of on-line guides as to how to care for cast iron.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:14 pm »
America's Test Kitchen did a cheap non-stick shootout and I think T-fal did pretty well.  I just bought a Paderno with a white coloured non-stick coating (I forget the material) and it's working out pretty well.  But for a limited budget - go cast iron!  Once it's well seasoned it is a no-stick pan and unlike t-fal type coatings you can't overheat it, damage it with metal, scrub off the coating, etc.  It has great heat distribution and it's perfect for pancakes.  And iron is actually good for you.  There are plenty of on-line guides as to how to care for cast iron.

Good advice.  Thanks.

tomytoons

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:05 pm »
Yea, T Fal at less than $20, keep it conditioned with a light coat olive oil after cleaning.
Geeze,  now I'm talking about frying pans here.  :thumb: :thumb:

borism

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
Completely agree with the cast iron recommendation. It was one of the first frying pans I bought and is still the most used one. No worries about non-stick coating deteriorating over time and contaminating food.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:43 pm »
Cast Iron pans have their place. They're good for browning things and they do become non-stick. There's only one problem. You shouldn't cook acidic foods in them. That leaves out cooking with wine, tomato etc., otherwise your food is apt to taste like rust.

Doc

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:30 pm »
I went to TJ Max last year and bought a 10" Calphalon non stick pan model 1390,
excellent pan well made and cleans easy with soap and water. I paid around $40.00
and it was well worth it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:39 pm »
Just save your bacon grease or use coconut oil to cook with.  Better taste, and no need for non-stick crap pans.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:21 pm »
Cast Iron pans have their place. They're good for browning things and they do become non-stick. There's only one problem. You shouldn't cook acidic foods in them. That leaves out cooking with wine, tomato etc., otherwise your food is apt to taste like rust.

Doc
I've been using cast iron for decades and have not found this to be true. If you cook acidic foods in a new cast iron skillet, it might be valid, but a well seasoned cast iron has as much as 1mm of carbon coating the bottom and sides of the skillet, and carbon is very slow to react with acid.  There is essentially no contact between the iron and the food.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:59 pm »
Hi,I think cast iron is the way to go.I have a cast iron Jotel frying pan I got as a Christmas present for working at Jotel stoves in 1978.I'm going to use it as soon as I finish typing this. It does rust,if I don't oil it up after using it.The best way to clean it is with no dish soap and get a stainless steel scouring pad,better than steel wool,with or without soap.The scouring pad has lasted me a year so far with of coarse no rust. There is a fantastic Cajun style breakfast spot right down my street that is very popular. If you look at their Teflon coated pans for omelettes ect.,all the Teflon is worn out of the pan and they are bare aluminum,which is even worse.Where does all the Teflon go?,you know,thats a no-brainer.Where does all the aluminum go after that?. You can't see it, but when people who have passed on with Alzheimers have had autopsies,they have found large amounts of aluminum in their brain. Look at all the TV dinners,wrapped sandwhiches and such we have grown used to. I have not tried the new green coated pans,they may work,but have they been tested with time. Some one already said that iron is a known nutrient,Geritol for example,and the microscopic amounts ingested while cooking are good for you,and the more times you use a cast iron pan,the more smoother the surface gets,and with the oil or bacon grease,the more non-stick it gets. Check out stainless steel too. When it comes to your health,caveat emptor ,buyer beware should be practiced.Save inexspensive for deals on your favorite foods...just my opinion...thanks....Mark Korda

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:06 pm »

Doc

Again, thanks.  I guess frying acidic stuff with iron, you'd get some weird chemical action.... hence the taste.

nature boy

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:11 pm »
These two piece Calphalon sets are great @ $49.99.  Very high quality, bought two sets for college bound kids last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Nonstick-12-Inch-Omelet/dp/B000ND1WMO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1362683352&sr=1-2

NB

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:11 pm »
Hi Goldlizsts,here are some other opinions,mine were from reading the book (Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss)...(  http://www.finishing.com/225/51.shtml)....take care....Mark.

Syrah

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:28 pm »
It's good to have both a cast iron and a t-fal type no stick, but if I had to choose one I would keep my cast iron.  The other good thing that I didn't mention is that your can totally crank the heat on cast iron.  When doing steaks, for example, I take it to my backyard and put it on my Coleman camping stove, get it red hot and get a steakhouse style golden crust on it.  You can't do that with a t-fal without destroying the coating.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2013, 08:12 pm »
It's good to have both a cast iron and a t-fal type no stick, but if I had to choose one I would keep my cast iron.  The other good thing that I didn't mention is that your can totally crank the heat on cast iron.  When doing steaks, for example, I take it to my backyard and put it on my Coleman camping stove, get it red hot and get a steakhouse style golden crust on it.  You can't do that with a t-fal without destroying the coating.

Thanks, all YOU great chefs!  Yeah, steaks have to be seared super hot to bring out that special flavor.  Now, I got my work cut out, cast iron or t-fal....  May be getting both is not a bad idea indeed.

Will go to the stores to check next I guess.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2013, 08:40 pm »
Costco has had a 12" T-fal pan lately for around $35 if I recall. Probably last you a couple of years.

One suggestion if you're into this sort of thing. Check your local Thrift Store for cast iron - you could get an old piece in great shape for just a couple of bucks.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2013, 09:55 pm by SoCalWJS »

totoro

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm »
Lincoln ceramiguard. Standard good quality reaturant supply nonstick pans.

http://www.dvorsons.com/wearever/wearevercookware.html#for12

12" for $57. Thick aluminum. Will last for years. I have a bunch of all-clad master chef pots and pans I've had for years, but I've always used the lincoln stuff for nonstick (non-stick doesn't last a lifetime the way the stainless lined aluminum pans will.

This is not terribly expensive stuff, but pretty much as good as anything out there.