Building a DIY SAMA

RIQUE

Building a DIY SAMA
« on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:23 pm »
Hello Folks, I have been unable to purchase a VPI Sama from any of the popular online retailers. It seems VPI is not shipping SAMA units mostly due to a recent passing of Sheila.  Anyhow, I wanted to build my own VPI Sama and need advise as to where to purchase th Hurst SP3923 motor. For some reason I can't find it listed on the Hurst web page. Anybody else build there own Sama?

orthobiz

Re: Building a DIY SAMA
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:16 am »
The DIY SAMA idea uses the original motor mounted in the HW19 base in the original position. So the base is coupled to the motor.

The decoupling involves letting the plinth "float" over the base, so it no longer relies on using the springs or pucks in the four corners of the base to support the plinth. Many have used "swimming pool noodles" cut to the same length and the plinth is supported underneath at several points to float the plinth above the base.

I have a separate SAMA motor and I never used the noodles...John The Chair Guy may have some old pics of the setup? Do you need an original motor? I probably have one sitting around here with the original mounting hardware for the regular base.

Paul

orthobiz

RIQUE

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:47 am »
Thanks for the reply Paul but I was hopping to do the SAMA with the 600 RPM engine. Is this not posible? or is there no real benefit of the new motor?

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2012, 11:32 am »
Do not know...

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply Paul but I was hopping to do the SAMA with the 600 RPM engine. Is this not posible? or is there no real benefit of the new motor?

RIQUE,

When all else fails - call VPI directly and ask...their phone customer service has traditionally been great (email, not so much)

They were the ones that gave me the DIY SAMA idea of putting the HW-19 MKII (which orthobiz now owns) on 4" tall cuts of neoprene pool 'noodles'.  Total cost was $3.99 I think at CVS 8)

Do read the vinyl area over at AudioAsylum.com, too, where I remember bunches of conversation on the topic of VPI DIY SAMA (just search for VPI SAMA and you should be able to pull a few helpful old topics up)

Ciao, John

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:29 pm »
As I recall, the Hw-19 had 2 different motors, one 300 RPM and the earlier one, 600RPM. They need to be mated with their proper pulleys to have the correct speed. I thought that both motors looked Identical except for capacitor rating and pulley size.

Wayner

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:14 pm »
Hello Folks, I have been unable to purchase a VPI Sama from any of the popular online retailers. It seems VPI is not shipping SAMA units mostly due to a recent passing of Sheila.  Anyhow, I wanted to build my own VPI Sama and need advise as to where to purchase th Hurst SP3923 motor. For some reason I can't find it listed on the Hurst web page. Anybody else build there own Sama?

I believe that motor is the same as the Hurst 3203-001, or the 3230-001.  The 03-001 requires a .82uf run cap, and the 30-001 requires a 1.0uf cap.  There was an earlier thread on the VPI motor and noise issues here.  What's up with your motor?

RIQUE

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:29 pm »
The story of my motor is a horror story. I have swapped out 4 SDS units that keep failing. VPI sent me 4 new units and every unit dies. I then bought an earlier VPI controller, TLC I think. It worked for a while but it will no longer spin my motor. I think the problem is the motor that may be causing damage to controller.

Paul, how much do you want for your old motor?

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2012, 09:34 pm »
PM Sent.

BTW, my first SDS didn't work, maybe it was a crack somewhere inside. Mike at VPI took it back and replaced it. Since then, working fine!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2012, 09:35 pm »

They were the ones that gave me the DIY SAMA idea of putting the HW-19 MKII (which orthobiz now owns) on 4" tall cuts of neoprene pool 'noodles'.  Ciao, John

I hope to start a thread soon on your old HW-19. I'm getting ready to put a 10.5i on it...

Paul

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm »
The story of my motor is a horror story. I have swapped out 4 SDS units that keep failing. VPI sent me 4 new units and every unit dies. I then bought an earlier VPI controller, TLC I think. It worked for a while but it will no longer spin my motor. I think the problem is the motor that may be causing damage to controller.

Paul, how much do you want for your old motor?

Have you tried running the motor simply off wall frequency?

Berndt

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:08 am »
Motor issues on a Vpi?
Don't they have a proprietary Hurst motor?

RIQUE

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:53 am »

Have you tried running the motor simply off wall frequency?

I have but it won´t work with SDS. Swapped out the cap tried everything. I will do the SAMA and see if it works.